redsunset

This morehens disease again

Hello Red. 23 is excellent. Do you mange to sell them easily? Who to?

Yep, sell them to clients and friends at my work. Have standing orders every week. Just as well as don't know what on earth I'd do with 160 odd eggs a week... :). Any very small ones go into my bowl

Been a lovely week and whilst sitting outside with sister today briefly at lunchtime I saw Goliath jump on my lovely Banevelder hen and the whole episode lasted less than 30 seconds before she shook herself down and I was like huh? I was like whoah, ok think my Brahma boy is maturing!

All new to me this pillaging of my chooks! On another note have a baby blackbird in a cat box indoors (found the poor wee thing wedged behind a flowerpot by my back door tonight), sans cat!!! Rescued but will it survive? Mush of cat food and chook mash in feeder so leaving it in peace incase of shock.

Don't think Samson (the SLW) has a look in yet, only interested in food and scared of the girls so far......hmm

All quiet so far re the doodle doos.

Wee blackbird doing fine and very alert. Don't know what to do now? No idea if it can fly as more than a baby but not quite an adult. I suppose I could see in a day or so if it can fly indoors before I release it? Certainly pooping well so must be eating the cat food mixed with mash ok.

Goliath has matured! Mr Brahma is doing a wee jig round certain girls (the older ones still think he's a big blouse yet) and heard a sort of doodle do that would never have made the chook version of X-Factor but bless him he tried. Samson is now under cockerel. Can't get over the size the Brahmas are and they still haven't stopped growing!. :shock:

Gutted today. Wondered if one of my beautiful Brahma girls looked a bit dozy yesterday and noticed her crop was empty at lunchtime. By evening it was full but something made think all was not well....but what? Went looking for her today and sadly found her passed away in a house. :(

How's it going now redsunset? Sorry you lost a girl, but at least it seemed she went in her sleep with her friends. I had this happen last jan and it was a shock to find my girl in the coop, food still in her crop.

I love to catch up with your news :D

My new boy Max is doing his best with his girls, but they do give him the run around :lol: hilarious to watch. He's also got a tough job with my bully "wannabe a cockerel" hen Polly. She's actually the reason I got him, naughty feather puller!!! She's even had a go at his :shock: but they're all Nettex sprayed now.......yuck that stuff hums :( Eggs are good 4 most days.....yet to have a 5 egg day. Even the shell less eggs have stopped :dance:

Any doodling from your boys?? Quiet a lot of doodling here.......but less now Victors gone and Max has settled down. He's the only boy round here :D

All well in chooksville for the moment, but scared to say that after the first death of the year. The boys are maturing well and Goliath the big Lemon Brahma is top of the heap. He's done a few doodle doos but needs more practise there!

He has had a 'go' at several girls tho due to his sheer size I wonder if he's managing?? The older girls fight with him as not impressed with his courtship in any form. He prefers the element of surprise which goes down like a lead balloon with the more senior girls and they let him know in no uncertain terms (amazing to see a hybrid with her neck feathers flared out in indignation :lol: )

Had to move all their houses again as the garden is getting an overhaul and will take months. I bet the neighbours think I am doing a large chicken run as the six ft trellis panels are now up but it's actually going to be a human run.......for me! Table, BBQ and nice pots in there eventually and the chooks will still have the majority to themselves so they can't complain.

Taking in around two doz eggs a day and that includes a tiny cream bantam sized one which I am guessing comes from the little black chook with the pale blue earlobes??

Hope everyone's chooks are doing well.... :)

Will be glad when my human run is done! :lol: Spring is in the air as the two boys are in major loving mode! My neighbours daughter was up on holiday recently and was calling the big lemon brahma storming Norman........!! Two broodies, a brahma and a Wyandotte and poor miss Barnevelder spending her days trying to avoid the guys um 'attentions' as they have both taken a real shine to her, poor soul.

Lovely weather and cock a doodle dos a plenty. No complaints yet... :whistle:

Beautiful weekend and the sun does things to you as four pretty little speckledys sort of fell into the garden yesterday.... :whistle:

Been lovely watching them exploring tentatively today and they have been dust bathing to their hearts content. Came in from the garden to find one of them had made herself at home on the sofa! Back out she went! Just came in to utility room but backed out as saw a rhode rock nesting in my box of straw so left her incase she's laying an egg even though it's late in the day? Shut the coops down at 4pm and turfed the brahma and Wyandotte out to make sure they eat. Much ruffling of feathers and wanting back in to brood. Even sat out with my big brahma boy on my lap and he was fine. Hope the boys continue to be nice...

Luvackicken.......I know, since I got this ipad thing I have been lazy with posting pics on the computer! Should have had my camera fone out yesterday as it was so warm with chooks at my feet all day. Even had Goliath on my lap for a bit as noticed he had a swollen tootsie, better today but he has been um...busy!

Have a horrible feeling I am going to end up with a stack of broodies and crabbit little madams they can be. Think 2 Wyandottes, one brahma and am suspicious of two Rhode rocks. Be lucky to have a nest box left! Have a long weekend coming up so by 3pm will remove them and shut the houses down until 8.45 pm or just before as that's when they all go to bed.

Love hearing the cock a doodle doos.......hope the neighbours do to?? The new girls are fine and one is very friendly.

Will take pics this weekend of the gang I promise! :)

Would love the pictures but even more would love a tape of the cock a doodle doos. My Silkie boy Dill is such a nice chap in every respect except that his crow always sounds strangled and my neighbour's Pekin cockerel has a nasty screech. Down on the farm they have a Brahma cock with such a lovely soft, low, full cock a doodle doo and I've been told that the bigger the cockerel the better his crow, but a big boy would squash my wee banties into the woodchip :anxious:

Hello, sorry I've been neglecting my posts! So long since I was here I had to go hunt out my password.

In answer to your post gavclojak the weather here has been.....pants! Saw down South had a tropical 24 odd while I was in my parka today with a high of...9!!! Appalling! Very jealous! We have had some nice days but the last two, terrible.

Chooks are all well, another couple of wee white leghorns sort of fell in as local garden centre were getting rid (not doing any more) so guess who took them? They have settled in fantastically from day one and gone to bed. I know I am bad for not doing the whole quarantine bit but they were just down the road for over a month and seemed healthy so..... They settled and laid an egg each the very next day! Felt sorry for them in a pen with just a roost and bark below looking a bit forlorn.

Goliath the big blouse (Brahma) will have to visit the vet as has a swollen toe. Can't find a scab but a bumble foot of a sort, not that it's hampering him in his um endeavours in any way but needs must. Down to three broodies as miss brahma gave up. Take my life in my hands removing the eggs but not going down the chick route as terrified of boys being hatched and I'd get attached and never be able to let them be killed. Too soft.

Gardening is a challenge to say the least as planting violas last week, Katag wanted to help, by pulling them out as I was planting in pots with a 'there might be a worm'' look? Sheesh. Replanted and so far so good. I left a tray of bedding plants in the windowsill the other night and next day plants there but the entire polystyrene tray had been eaten! What is it with chooks and polystyrene??

Can't believe the amount of food I'm going through, a 20kg sack of mash per wk, a few seeded loaves, some cherry toms, two tubs of grain nightly, etc!!......

Hope all is well with everyone's chooks........am away to catch up on all the missed posts now..... :)

Yup lot of food in a week! Not such a good day today as on getting a load of turf delivered this am thought my Lhasa apso had gone out the gate but appeared from bottom of the garden a while later. Lunchtime I popped down to see how the turf laying was going and glanced down to the chook houses to see a white leghorn dead. When I picked her up it was plain to see she had a broken neck and blood on top of her head. Knew instinctively it was the Lhasa. Gutted. It would have happened in the am as when I found her rigor was setting in but breast still had a tad of warmth.

A shame as dogs and chooks had mingled ok up to now but was always a tad wary that Millie was to interested in sniffing necks and bums! Looked up muzzles on eBay but they look awful. Waiting for gates for patio area which is biggish so can maybe only let the dogs out there after. If they do it once the danger is they do it again. The leghorns are so flighty that they run, others aren't fussed. Wee Bichon is fine around chooks.

The two boys, big as they are would have been no deterrent as big blouses. Goliath was at the vet for his bumble foot and is on Baytril.

The other 33 ladies are all well and was just a bit sad today as to what happened. Not sure if she was this year or last years leghorn but had four white eggs today so nearly cried when I saw she had laid before she was killed (I had four leghorns) :(

Will figure out a solution.

Ah bless her, giving you a little thank you before she stepped off this mortal coil! The Lhasa was bred as a guard dog for budist temples i think so maybe they have that potential of being a bit assertive!!

It's also a lesson for us all as I'm a little complaicant with my dogs/chooks.

I am sorry and send you hugs :( . As gavclojak says, it is a wake up call to lots of us.

My dogs *seem* OK with my chickens but I have divided off the patio area too so that they only mingle with the chickens under supervision.

One thing, though, like a fox, a dog will rarely sneak up and kill just the one chicken. Normally the one they had caught would squawk and flap, setting off the others and goading the dog to further naughtiness, so perhaps she was dead when your Laso found her as it seems your little dog did not kill any others.