redsunset

This morehens disease again

Hello all is well up here in chooksville but I can so sympathise re the mud situation. I will take a pic tomorrow of what was my nice grassy back garden (where all the chook houses were) and then you can all decide if mine is worse than yours!!

One thing that didn't help was that I discovered a blocked drain across the road and I was having all the surface water gushing down my drive for months unknown to me. Once discovered I had the council out at 9pm the Friday before Christmas digging a trench across my drive and laying sandbags. Blockage has been temp repaired until after the hols and to think I was blaming the poor chooks for my sea of mud. Will be a headache and huge expense to repair in spring. Probably have to erect netting to keep the chooks off it until drainage and reseeding can be done.

Yep this darned iPad spells only americanisms!! Still love it tho!

Roll on spring.....again!

On the plus side I am still getting around 17 eggs a day :)

Just to make you jealous now up to nineteen eggs daily.........but remember a lot of mine are Hybrids in their first winter. This next winter will be different.......depending on flock size, type of course! Now I have discovered the posh birds who knows....(my fav is still my little brown hen Katag with a wonky toe and white dot on her side)

That little chook is so cute!....she'd end up being a house chicken here!!

Have to get on the desktop comp soon to show my mud pic!

Am so glad we are not in America or Canada as my chooks would be in my utility room, no question. Feel for all the chicken/livestock keepers. :vom:

Had to laugh yesterday as I facebooked a client the night before to remind her of her appt as per request and she noticed I had added to my page a pic of a chicken with knitted bonnet that someone had posted. Bit of banter and jokingly said to her maybe your mum will make me some.......fast fwd to next morning and she brought in two totty wee knitted bonnets her mum had thrown together on her needles that very morning!! So cute and now have orders to take a pic of chook modelling one!!...... :lol::lol:

Omg be careful what you say redsunset. :lol:

I'm normally baron of eggs this time of year, but the exbats are laying, one Pullet,one Daisybelle, even one omlet in her second year. Not to mention the little girls. My white silkle is laying every other day and my lavender frizzle lays sometimes. Fifi is 2 and a half now. She just lays when she's not broody. No rules with her :lol:

From my 4 lovely ladies I am getting anything from 1 to 4 eggs a day but are averaging 2. I hoped they would give their little bodies a rest over the winter but I guess as hybrid ex commercial girls that was never going to happen.

Redsunset if I were you I would be out in the garden sky watching this evening. I have read you will be able to see the amazing aurora borealis tonight!! I went all the way to Iceland to see it but didn't see so much as a glimmer:((

Auracana, how fantastic. I always think of them as the queen of chickens, and they are next on the list. But anymore than 5 chickens just makes me fear for the poop levels in the garden. :anxious:

I have 5 hybrids and i am getting 4 eggs a day. 2 of the layers are in their second year, I am assuming they are happy with their set up, but I still thank them in the mornings when I egg collect!

Xx