redsunset

This morehens disease again

Gutted :( Seems I have the dreaded myco back again. One wee Isa with swollen lump near her eye. Totally gutted. She is scratching around and happy but bought a large dog cage today and got big bottle of Tylan from the vet. Isolation but this time chicken, I hope spotted earlier so have hopes of treating sooner. Hopefully as we have dry calm forecast I can remove all traces of water from the garden to make sure all others only drink from Tylan bowl? Not easy as chooks find a puddle anywhere!

She will be well looked after despite large cage so really hope I have caught her in time. First time chook was impossible to feed as to far gone, keep fingers crossed for me please.......I have done enough reading now to find that myco is pretty near impossible to eradicate and even if fine, some could be carriers, and stress can trigger it.

Will put little tiny bit of natural honeycomb in her water as I know Tylan is bitter. Might add teeny bit for the flock too? Bought natural yoghurt to add to mash tomorrow, anything to boost immune systems. I am blaming the horrendous rains we had all December for a trigger? Anyone have any other ideas? All help gratefully welcome.

Oh no, you have my sympathies, i know how you feel.

Am no expert but wanted to mention that Herban seems to be working for my lot, the tylan didn't clear the symptoms but three weeks on herban and i think the sneezing has stopped.**

As its just herbal you could give to to all the others as a precaution? Or maybe ACV to boost their immune systems?

** forget that, they are still sneezing, am going to ring the vet tomorrow and ask them to order Denagard

Edited by Guest

Is herban the same as orego-stim. I've just read about it, as thought it might be handy to have. I don't have any chicken emergency first aid. Can you recommend anything else I should keep in stock? :). I do have wound powder, which is great for stopping bleeding, anti peck spray, mite powder, but that's it :)

Redsunset - I am so sorry and have my fingers crossed that all is going well with your little hen. :pray: You are such a good kind nurse that if I get sneezes I think I should come on up for yog and honey comb :)

Sonyascott - I have found purple spray a must in my chook first aid box as it covers any sore areas with purple (and your hands too :roll: ) so that the other hens don't go to peck at red parts. I also have some spray for scaly leg mite but then I have Silkies and they are rather prone to this.

Ah, then that mite (sorry - bad pun) be a good thing to get :) I give the legs of my chooks a spray every now and again to be on the safe side. They don't seem to mind. If you see the scales on their legs lifted (where the mites have got underneath) then they have it, but the trouble is, if you don't get it early then the scales can look really quite horrid and stay that way even when the bird is cured, right till the next moult. It is important not to be tempted to peel off the scales which would be very painful. The poor chooks' legs get all itchy with it so it is not something that can be left.

Thanks everyone. Will look into that stuff. Wee chook has bedded down for the night and ate her mash and yoghurt today. Seems perky enough and not best pleased at being put into a large dog cage.

They all get poultry zest and ACV in water but know even all that is no defence against the dreaded myco if it has been in your flock prior. Something obviously triggers it in a chicken and guess it's just bad luck.

Seems I could do with poultry zest myself as now coming down with the cold in sympathy!....... :roll:

Will see what the next five days bring but am more optimistic this time, will keep you all posted

Wee chook doing fine, eyes nice and bright/clear though the lump is still there. Eating well. Not sure re taking in enough water with the Tylan so got crafty and mixed some Tylan water into her mash. Determined to get it into her one way or the other!

She has bedded down now and is glued to the washing machine which I HAD to put on. Left the light on so she doesn't freak out with the noise of it for now.

The large dog cage is a fab buy for future chook hospital trips so well worth the money. Also for segregating future chooks for a few days to make sure they are healthy....

Think a new large henhouse is on the cards seeing how flimsy my beach huts are. Want a walk in one that will then be a doddle to clean. Will keep one smaller one to though, again for segregating future chooks later.

Bang goes any hols this year again........oh well!!! :roll:

Ah that's good news she is doing well, have been thinking about you for the last few days. Sound like a plan for the larger coup, although your beach guys are very lovely. I saw a pretty one on www.ilikechickens.co.uk

Don't think it's what you are looking for but are very cute.

Will be keeping my fingers crossed for your girl x

Wee chook is ok. I say ok as despite her being bright eyed her chest has quite a rattle so fear it is deeper seated than I would like. The lump in front of her eye is still there. Don't think she is eating as much as I would like despite tuna yesterday which she pecked at........hmmm. Not giving up yet though. Will give it at least another five days before a tough choice has to be made (in her interests)

Be a while yet before I get new house as need to get grass sorted first. Do like my wee beach huts for the aesthetics but they are a bleep to clean, esp if weather not great. I dream of a walk in job with deep litter on the floor and easy peasy to clean even if chucking it down outside. Of course it will be painted and have a few wee embellishments to make it cute/country. :)

Most of my wee hybrids came from local large garden center and after a chat with vet the other day seems I am not the only one to have had probs. Vet asked the owner where his chooks came from and he flat out refused to tell him (know supplier is in England) but don't know why he would not say? Seems they had blazing row about it as he wanted to trace the stock. Won't be adding any more from there as much as I love my existing chooks and me being a trusting novice I am pretty suspicious now.

Think I will close the flock now as this myco thing is very likely to reappear every so often and kill one :( thought I had beaten it last year. Has anyone else had myco, never had recurrence and successfully added new chooks?..my reading up online says no but?........

I still class myself as a total novice after eighteen months of chook keeping, but darn it's addictive!!

Thank you. Read that thread and feel a bit better now. Rest of the gang are doing fine and enjoying the dry weather. Dust bath Central today!!

Just gave wee chook some corn which she is happily tucking into. Couldn't hear the chest rattle but will check again later. Eyes still bright with no bubbles but swollen lump still there.

Tomorrow is another day, and with having the cold in sympathy could do with a dose of Tylan myself!!... :roll:

Could it possibly be that the swollen lump is a red herring and nothing to do with the rattle or myco but where she got pricked perhaps by a thorn? One of my Polands has had a bit of a lump on the side of her eye and the vet said she had just been pricked by a rose thorn (I have roses in the garden near their house) or perhaps pecked mildly by one of the others. :think:

On your other point, I've had a chook with myco who recovered thanks to antibiotics (which I gave her into her beak using a pipette). She is still with me and I've added 8 more chooks since all of whom have been fighting fit for about 3 years :D

I doubt it as she did have wee bubbles in that eye initially so am still sure it's connected with resp infection. Bubbles have now gone but swelling remains. She is nowhere near as bad as the last case I had so wonder if different strain as the smell of the last chicken was putrid, no smell of this one at all.

I am delighted that in three years you have never had another outbreak so that's very hopeful... :)

Wee chesty chook still doing well and even laid an egg the last two days! Costing me a fortune in oil as leaving the heating on through the day to keep her warm...and make her thirsty to get the Tylan down the hatch!

Swollen sinus still there but is the fact she even laid two eggs in two days a good sign I wonder?

More severe gales this weekend and chooks here learn to walk sideways to get from A to B, except for the Brahmas whose abundance of fluff and pantaloon attire nearly has them either almost tipping over or taking off in entirely the wrong direction in the wind........ :doh:

Gave wee chook tuna tonight, but she looked a bit um, what? Most chooks would go daft for it. Think she has cabin fever but as long as she is warm and dry and drinking the Tylan will pander to her wishes, be it mash/corn/tuna.

Until that sinus shows signs of abating she is confined to her cage. Am far to scared until then to let her back into the flock. She had been very patient I have to say and has her little mutters about the whole matter every time I see her...........to be continued

Thanks for the well wishes... :)

What is funny is that I give mine tuna once a week, well it obviously isn't a treat anymore as they get very excited when they see the blue plate coming out but once they see it's 'just' tuna now they have a few pecks and wonder off all disgruntled....they may potter back at their convenience, no hurry though.

I had some gold paper plates left after Xmas and put a pellet porridge on one the other day, silly girls were terrified if it! Wouldn't come anywhere near until I decanted said treat on to the "blue" plate....really....come on girls :shock:

What to do about wee chook. Just spent fifteen mins with her and let her wander about the floor (cabin fever) could detect no wheeze in her chest and gobbled up the sweet corn earlier. She still has swollen sinus one one side so would those more experienced recommend I keep her in for say another week? If sinus does not subside in that time is it ever likely to? Poor wee thing is fed up and laying almost every day. Am loath to let her back out yet though.

Any ideas and advice very welcome.....