redsunset

This morehens disease again

That's making me question now whether she actually did it? Can't think what else happened and tonight she was fine out in the garden. Did buy a nylon muzzle but that was a waste of twelve quid as with her little squashed up nose wriggled it off in no time. Hated putting it on her anyway.

Think the answer will be to carry on splitting the garden so that it ends up with less than half for the dogs and I, and the rest for the chooks.

There will be much grumbling soon when the five who sleep under my patio table can no longer get in there but to bad......they have plenty space to roam around in!

Looking forward to having a nice clean space for me and one of the new speckledys took a notion to my lovely hostas and scoffed the lot!

Awww I'm sorry you lost one of your girls, such a shame.

Splitting the garden does seem the best bet and you could always give the 5 that like sleeping under the table their own one.

On a funny note, whenever we had to put a muzzle on our Daisy, she would freeze to the spot and never move. I don't know what she thought it was, silly dog x

Well after a lovely weekend pottering outside.....with dogs it all went a bit pear shaped at lunchtime today! By Saturday night had convinced myself that Millie was prob not a chicken killer as was out all day with me along with Maisie the Bichon.

Sunday, heard barking up behind bushes, went up to find Millie going daft at a chook who was secretly sitting on a number of eggs unknown to me! Today she made a beeline for same spot and despite telling her off, heard squawking a while later. Was nearby and found Millie with the chickens wing in her mouth ready to do more damage. Yanked her up just in time by the scruff and chook fine. Phew. Seems the problem is a chook sitting and not moving triggered it off.

Garden will finally be split within the month, hopefully sooner but gutted they can no longer mingle. Poor Maisie is scared of them and gives a wide bearth but the Lhasa..after a year of 'fine' now cannot be trusted.

Poor Samson rushed over, but being a bit of a pansy didn't know quite what to do! Am guessing she was one of his girls? Was determined there would be no baby chooks but have left her as don't know how long she's been sitting and if even any viable eggs..........oh dear, what have I done.

The muzzle landed in the bin. Hated buying it/trying it. Poor Millie froze as well and shook like a leaf when I put it on her. Solution is splitting the garden and we are all happy. Was murder making up hanging baskets on sat as chooks were rushing over at the sight of polystyrene thinking it was for them! Will never understand the fascination with that stuff????? :wall:

What a shame about naughty Millie. :shameonu: At the risk of taking dog psychology too far . . . my thoughts are that, as you did not hear a lot of barking last time, but you did this time, perhaps Millie just thought "Ooo, another dead chook all ready for me mouth" but who knows. The main thing is that soon your garden will be split and all will be happy :D . . . . including a bunch of new chickies :wink:

All well in chooksville, and Millie and Maise outside all weekend among the chooks with no problem again. Seems like it was an isolated case (with a possible second due to chook sitting on eggs) but nothing since?

Chook I thought was hiding her eggs and broody was simply just laying elsewhere after all. Still convinced there is a stash of eggs as took in 15 tonight out of 32+ chooks......hmmm. Scoured the garden but if another nest, darned if I can find it!

Have finally decided I actually have to many chooks contrary to my title post. Much as I love them, they meddle in everything I do and last week came home for lunch (plant in sink, cup knocked over, two chook poops on kitchen floor) I had left window open for cat......

As we have long days they don't go to bed until 10-11pm and up just after 3am. Will downsize to around 18 or 12 as nature intends. They do love their mom, and rush up every evening looking for treats when I come home (tesco were v good with 15p seeded loaves) one loaf goes in less than five mins with 35 hungry beaks, lol!

The boys are the size of medium turkeys and squabble a wee bit, Lemon Brahma being the boss. As for being good to their ladies, they would take bread out of their beaks but do guard the hen houses at night diligently.

How come,luvachicken ? Are they old girls or broody girls? I get 2-3 a day out of 10 chooks but then I've got two broody girls and two old girls and one's a cockerel. He goes in the nest box and ruffles about and like all men says he can do all things, but like all women, I don't believe him - :lol:

That was funny! Re the cockerel, lol! Well I DID find a nest under my nose in the hedge with ten eggs yesterday! Madams that they are. One egg in a flower bed today and 20 in the hen houses. Do have two broodies though, plus two hybrids than are well over two now. For the size of the lemon Brahma she lays quite a small egg.........size ain't everything as is said........ :whistle:

Having a nice evening and dogs were pottering outside.......heard a kerfuffle and ran......Millie was on verge of killing my lovely large lemon Brahma. Gutted. She is inside in chicken hospital on bed of straw keeping her quiet for a wee while until I assess any wounds. Don't want to stress her for a few mins. Thankfully neck not broken. Am annoyed with myself for trusting her outside for a runabout but know now, no more until garden split. She can't understand why I'm so angry at her right now....more angry with myself, needless. :(

Well, after that upset, miss fluffy is still with me. Nurse friend popped round and gave me antiseptic wash plus neat iodine. Have done the neck but will reassess in the morning. Also gave her baytril to help ward of infection. If neck wound needs stitching then vet tomorrow, but for now she is quite feisty which gives me hope. Still annoyed with myself for trusting the Lhasa who can't quite get why I'm upset with her. Not her fault, mine...... :wall:

Thank you Plum. She is still with me but not sure. Can't get her interested in much food yet (tried tuna, hard boiled egg, three lots of mash plus corn) Syringed water into her last night. She is pottering on floor ok. All bases covered so not giving up yet!

Garden now segregated so dogs have patio plus lawn to run around on and the three speckledys were in a complete quandary as to where to sleep last night as patio table now out of bounds (they slept underneath) so they decided the digger was a good option! Digger is now away so wonder what the choices will be? Plenty trees if they don't fancy a hen house quite yet. Weather nice and was used to a few chooks sleeping in the trees last summer so not bothered there.

Hope miss fluffy makes it as she is such a bundle of of beautiful feathers and my only lemon brahma girl. :pray:

Very, very happy! Had the idea of trying of trying what I call 'posh cat food' as it comes in little tins of small bites. Buy it now and then for my 17 yr old cat who is lacking in the tooth dept. Found miss fluffy tucking in with gusto........so happy :)

I know some won't approve of the cat food, but trust me, when you have a chook you think is probably going to die you will try anything. She can have whatever she wants if there is a chance of survival.

Think I need a second job with all this animal food, lol. Just got 120kg of mash today and be lucky if that does a month!

Joys of chooks being awake from 3am-almost 10 or 11pm means they are always looking for food???

Heck that's a lot of food to buy! Mine are bad enough getting me up soon after 5 with their morning calls but at least they go to bed by 8.30. I really don't want the short evenings yet. Please can we go backwards again.

Quite a few experienced members recommend cat food as a source of protein when they're stressed. :D

That's good to know......as that's what she's getting as long as she needs/wants it, while she heals. As for the food, yup heck of a lot and I always think I have loads but large bucket of mash every day....and by 6-7pm they are following me down the drive, bowls empty......starving?? Know the boys eat loads as they are near enough turkey sized big blouses!

The girls were near jumping into my arms tonight when I went out with two seeded loaves? Gone in minutes?