redsunset

This morehens disease again

Think I will give her another week at least to see if the sinus abates a bit. I guess part of me is scared that she may regress, and also might still be infectious? It's no problem to keep her indoors at all and the room she is in is lovely and bright. She can hear the others bokking outside the utility room door at lunchtime and sometimes if I'm not quick enough a couple have gone in to ceilidh (visit) her before I shooed them back out. Can't be fun but it is for her own good.......and my peace of mind! :)

I am very much a novice myself even though I have had my share of illnesses, deaths last year which is very upsetting. You learn a lot on here and the rest by observation of your own lot. They are hardy little things when you see what the weather throws at them but when illness strikes it can change fast in a chickens short little life.

Have found that tinned sweet corn is something to tempt the ill chook, turned up her beak at tuna!!!?........but sweet corn....yum! Mixed in with her mash no probs.

Many thanks for all replies.. :)

Poorly miss Isa is still in quarantine much to her disgust. Unfortunately can hear the rattle in her chest plus a few sneezes earlier. Loving her sweet corn in the mash which she deftly picks out and still laying her egg.

Bit of a loss if Tylan is not doing the trick? She looks perfectly normal from one side, but still has swelling on the other.

May ask the vet if there is a chance she will get better or if it's to deep seated, and anything else we can do?

I am sure it must be Mycoplasma so cannot let her back out as could infect the others who are all doing great.

Chooks laid 22 eggs today so winter must be on the turn.........either that or they have snuck a calendar into the coop and know it's the first of February!!

Gavclojak.....know you like the northern lights which have been fab up here this winter. If you do Facebook look up sandiephotos.com local photographer. Scroll down her page and some lovely ones.

Hope all your own wee chooks are doing well and no more major squabbles in the lovely dry setting you have created for them?

Thanks redsunset...I decided never to have Facebook as I have three kids and would be sorely tempted to snoop on them....I feel it's a little like reading their diary:) I also spend way too much time on this forum so another would tip OH over the edge.

Thank you for the info though, I will get one of the kids to show me. I LOVE the northern lights....I would so love to see them, we did go to Iceland at the time that was supposed to be a high chance of seeing them.....diddly squat....zero....nada...nothing...that's life though :twisted:

All the girls seem fine except lots of very white milky poo??? They seem fine in themselves so am not going to stress over it too much.

So sorry your little one is still wheezing, you really couldn't do any more for your girl...but I bet she is a tad hacked off being confined to barracks :doh:

#welljel.......no foxes and northern lights

Just reading about your poorly chook. I have myco in my flock of pekins and have had very good results with Baytril. Might be worth asking your vet? Mine have recovered and gone on to lay well and be symptom free. Stress is the trigger for my lot :(

I know there's some who-ha about baytril but my local vets are fine about it as it works and my eggs are for my family only (2 week egg withdrawl after baytril)

Let us know how you get on! :D

Thanks for that Mimi5, the only thing about the baytril is again egg consumption for those out with your friends and family. I supply a good lot of eggs to clients at my work so when you have 31 chooks I would never be able to tell which was hers then so bit of a dilemma there. I guess I will soldier on with the Tylan for now?

Gavclojak, yup I understand re the Facebook thing. Three kids and a hubby require a good degree of attention! This iPad thing is never out of my hand and as I have none of the above to moan at me, then I can browse chook forums or whatever to my hearts content

Can I say roll on spring......again!

Hi redsunset, just wanted to touch base and see how you and your girlie is doing?

I hope this horrible adverse weather isn't affecting you too much, it's pretty dire here but compared to what some people have been through we have breezed through it ( pardon the pun)

Hope the rest of your flock are good too x

Hello, still loitering here in the background! Wee girlie is still caged as that sinus refuses to go down. Will keep on with the Tylan for now.

Rest of the flock are all in rude health demanding food every time they catch a glimpse of me! We have been reasonably lucky with the weather of late compared to the disaster down in the south west. No gales but rain here and there and last couple of days nice and sunny. The mud is still something of which I have never seen the likes of and drainage starting in a couple of weeks. I am also dreaming up an idea of making a proper patio area round the back and erecting large trellis like panels so that I can have my poop free zone in the summer, maybe even a couple of raised beds with salads again?? Life was cleaner, garden was coming on before I got chooks........but still wouldn't change it now! We can co-exist, just needs a bit of forward planning :)

Hope all your own chooks are doing well and producing poops that you are happy with now as per pictures and diagrams?? :)

I remember my first months of chicken keeping......watery poos meant some chook was poorly (not), chook huddled under a bush was dying (not, taking 40 winks chilling) and so on. Now two years later, if they have clean bums, are eating, drinking and have clear eyes I assume all is well. A busy chicken is always a good sign and my lot are digging to Australia in my mind most of the time.

Poorly chook is not really poorly and feel guilty about the cage although she can walk around. Lays an egg almost every day but cannot take a chance. She is well spoilt with titbits and her fav sweet corn. Not sure it is a mycoplasma case now, thinking infectious bronchitis as very different to last one?

Am delighted that your chooks are doing well to chortle chook. It's not looking good for little miss Isa as the sneezing and the sinus show no signs what so ever in abating. Am planning on speaking to the vet tomorrow and am almost sure I know what he will suggest. I have to think of the others too as 30 chooks I cannot take a risk with as they are all in good health. Will feel dreadful but it's been three wks or more now and not fair to her either to be cooped up in a cage for so long in isolation. If I thought there was a chance but think her chest was rattling for to long before I noticed.

On a brighter note a boy is joining the girls soon (was offered a silver laced Wyandotte boy or he was going for the chop)

Wonder what my little madams will make of that!!...... :whistle:

I know, thirty of a harem is a lot for a wee boy to contend with, lol

Regards the Myco, she was a watery eye, sneezes now and then. No discharge from nostrils but swollen sinus under eye on one side. At times I've heard rales in her chest but only occasionally. Does that all sound like a classic Myco? She is still laying and very alert but what to do? Back to vet? I keep putting it off incase it's bad news but am I only delaying the inevitable cos I'm to soft??.......

I think I'd be inclined to change her bedding material first. I can't remember what you have her on but as things are not clearing up with the antibiotics, I'd suspect an alergy, perhaps to fine dust. Are you using aubiose? That seems to have less dust than other beddings. Also are you quite sure she does not have a tiny speck of something in her eye?

She is on straw. It's like she has a cold with one blown sinus. I don't have anything to hand to change her bedding right now apart from old towels? Not been easy getting the Tylan into her as she senses it's in the water (tastes bitter) so I've been diluting in water and hiding it in her mash which she throws everywhere if no sweet corn in it so not sure if she's getting enough?

Well I think little miss Isa is turning the corner. I'm sure the lump is going down and can now detect no rattles in her chest. :) I didn't do the kitchen towel thing as the cage is quite large and was scared she'd be cold. Still keeping her in for a bit yet to be on safe side.

Went out yesterday to pick up my new boy just a couple of miles away. Saw a large Cochin and black silkie in the first place and when she took me along to her friend who had the SL Wyandotte boy, she had quite a few silkies and two of the dinkiest little chooks I have ever seen in my life! Little seremas, so cute. Whilst in her living room saw a little incubator and four tiny little quail had only just hatched that morning. And all just a couple of miles down the road! There was me thinking ppl only had hybrids up here?

Took Samson home (though be a while before he lives up to that name). Big lad but still young and the girls put him in his place in no uncertain terms! :lol: I was even up at 7 this am to make sure he was ok and the girls hadn't beaten him to a pulp! He was fine. I now have a sneaky suspicion that one of my eagles is a boy as I'm sure (well 80%) that I can see some pointy feathers near saddle area and he's pretty red in the face. He's a big docile lump but going to name him Goliath!

Lovely sunny but frosty morning so away to make up some hot mash and see if my boy is coping with his ladies!

I am now 100% certain that one of the eagles (lemon Pyle Brahmas) is a boy as himself and Samson (SL Wyandotte) have just been chest bumping with ruffled necks......eek. Not had this before so can anyone with more experience tell me if they will be able to share 30 girls or if this fighting will continue? Think they are both around the same age so not mature yet..... :?