redsunset

This morehens disease again

Well dare say if a cock a doodle do appears in the next few months that will be a good clue, they are VERY hard to sex until a few months according to all my reading online. Miss Barnevelder is in a house and not been able to have another good look at her as it was dusk when I picked her up, so she is in the centre house with the head honchos and the wee eagles. She is a pol chicken so hopefully will be ok within a few days.

A friend came with me and bought a Brahma and a Rhode I red to add to her flock. Horrible forecast for the whole weekend of heavy rain so may need waders to reach the bottom of the garden!!!! There was a beautiful Silkie cross there, a lovely red one walking around with two adopted wee chicks last week.......now if they sell her..........

Just thought I would add my thoughts.. I just love this thread and I am so :mrgreen:

I have a small garden in a terrace block of houses and 4 chickens which I just love. Every time we pass a small piece of land that has nothing on it I think chickens and a small holding ..

30! I'sn't 3 an odd number and 0 isn't a number at all ? :lol:

Well in answer to poop, we have just had appalling rain which has turned my back garden into a total mudbath and the chooks think it is the place to be and destroy the lawn altogether 'while we are at it'!!!! The poop on grass gets washed away, same with the gravel sometimes. The pavements now are another matter and a pressure washer was bought. As the forecast is so bad the rain will um 'dilute' all poop and surfaces in the next three days plus they range over a good size garden.

Was pleased to see the Barnevelder tucked unto a roost in a house tonight but wee eagles had to get their taxi down as per! Only 3 chooks in that house while the three isa's and one leghorn are in the willows as usual? Will they ever think to come down to a house? They lay in them but don't see them as bed for some reason?

Was surprised to see one of the little eagles chase the poor Barnevelder at lunchtime despite being half her size. Obviously had to tell her she was now bottom of the pecking order and SHE had moved up a rung!

Wellies on the shopping list for tomorrow!!...and yes jackian maybe 30 is almost an odd number??!...... :whistle:

Well a bit drier today thank goodness. Have one sleepy little Brahma today. Noticed about an hour after letting them out she was sitting on utility room step snoozing. Picked her up and no protest, quite happy to sit in my arms....hmm. A chicken that's not busy mid morning, esp not long after getting out of hen house rings alarm bells for me. Can see no obvious signs or feel anything untoward but she is tucked up in a towel in a box of straw indoors and seems quite happy. Will just see what she is like as the day goes on. Hope it's nothing serious as she is just so cute.........fingers crossed.

Very sad update. Just had wee Brahma in my arms and she passed away. I am beginning to wonder if I am doing something wrong to have lost 5 chickens now in 4 months. Just knew there was something wrong as far to docile this morning but glad she was in my arms when she went...... :(

No those were local reared chickens (Brahmas + the Barnevelder). The others I lost were brought in from somewhere on the mainland to a garden centre. I know it's probably nothing I have done but it still sucks when you lose a wee pet especially as I have not had her long. One thing I have wondered is, I was giving them mash and then corn in the afternoon.... at aged 14 weeks should I have had them on baby chicken food, ie crumb? They are a good healthy size so I gave them the same as the others but maybe should not have? Just a thought?

Oh redsunset I am so sorry to hear your news, I am so glad you were able to give her comfort in her final moments. I think you have had a run of bad luck but given your number is nearing 30 it's inevitable you will loose some of them. None the less it's terribly upsetting. We all worry we are doing right by our girls but ultimately they are chickens and will eat anything! I bet there are millions if chickens out there that would trade their lives for a few months with your flock....oh the adventures they must have xx

Well chooks are all pottering fine today although poor miss Barnevelder is being largely ignored or chased. I hate seeing a chicken on her own but hopefully she will integrate soon. She has been going into a hen house and noticed last night she had bagged a (much coveted) nestbox all to herself.

Wee eagles are all fine. I wonder if they miss their wee pal who has suddenly vanished? Chooks are not amused with the amount of rain that has suddenly pooled in the garden and neither am I!! Have someone coming at beginning of the week to help me move all the houses up onto the gravel near the utility room door for the winter as have never seen the garden so water logged and can see by the forecast more is to come...yuk!

Can any of those who have had chickens a good while shed any light on the fact I have lost 5 chickens in 4-5 months? I know one was a respiratory disease and one possibly an egg problem but 3 were like sudden death. I have searched the internet for answers and wondered if Mareks was a possibility? Does anyone have any experience of this and would I have had more deaths in a shorter space of time with that? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Now the proud owner of wellies with shocking pink heels and trim with blue spots.....needs must with this weather!

All is still well in chooksville today and the wee eagles are thriving, as just taxied them down to their house after work. Still a bit sad after the loss of one last Saturday but was glad I was there to hold her whatever came on her so suddenly. It was my first time seeing a little chicken pass away and even though it was peaceful, it upset me dreadfully at the time to see such a cute little thing go. :(

There will be much confusion amongst them tomorrow as moving their houses at lunchtime up onto the gravel away from the soggy areas. Bonus is they will be right by my back door so easy to check/clean.

The Barevelder is beautiful and although very shy is coming out of her shell bit by bit. Wish I could scold the chickens into accepting her as part of the gang but know they will do things in their own time.....just hate to see a chicken on her own.

Weather is pants, and forecast awful, want it to be March and clocks changing again.....now! Will take more pics soon of the newbie and the little eagles.

I'm sure Miss Barnvelder will move up a rung or two and get in with the best once she starts to lay, though that may not be till spring now.

I was very sorry to read about the loss of one little Eagle. I'm sure you are not doing anything wrong. You sound so caring and have been far quicker than me to realise that a docile girl sitting around is not a contented, happy girl but a sick girl. As someone else said, if you have as many as 30 the odd one will die. :( With Mareks the chicken gets paralised, I think, so it does not look as if it was that. The one thing I can think of is that perhaps she got crop bound as a result of eating long strands of grass. I only suggest that due to them all freeranging over what sounds like quite a wied area.

I like the sound of the dead trendy wellies. Hope your chooks feel suitably honoured that they are getting room service from someone so well turned out :D

Thank you. Crop did enter my head as although a bit squishy that am, felt there was still quite a bit in it for 10.30am from the night before?

All houses moved under the chooks watchful eyes at lunchtime today so although they are all in a U shape now on the gravel knew there would be much consternation at bedtime. Came home and went out the utility door knowing the wee eagles would be on the step and would have to lift them a whole two yards to bed....done. Looked into the nest box of another house and thought, 'wow, lot of chickens in here'......looked in the third house and not a one in it!! So 6 chooks in one, 4 in the willows (who steadfastly refuse to be moved so far) and 19 in another!!!! Oh well guess they like to be together, and checked to make sure Miss Barnevelder was among them.....she was.

As for suitably turned out.....that would have required posh Hunter wellies but when I saw the price tag of £80.. :shock:

Success! The wee eagles had put themselves to bed tonight and three of the chooks who roost in the willows. Managed to grab the remaining isa brown from the willows and put her in a house so looks like they are all finally 'getting' it! The torrential rain we had late this afternoon/early evening probably helped seal the deal for them but either way happy!.... :)

Well another three chooks are joining the gang tomorrow evening.....2 silver laced wyandottes and a cross (slw) breed. This is the breed I have had a hankering for, for ages so am well :)

That will then be me happy with my lot for this year at least....... :whistle:, no seriously I think that will be the maximum to keep the flock happy re ground and housing so I promise now (on here) not to add any more! Am going through almost 100kg of food a month so unless I win the lotto and move to 10 acres I now have to behave.....

Pics will have to wait for a dry day, which those days may be darn near impossible. Am so excited...... :)

Got my new chooks tonight and they are segregated as auction birds from the mainland and had to endure a long journey due to broken down ferry and then overnight stop and road trip to Skye instead. The wyandottes are lovely (one has I would say perfect markings) the second very nice too, the third chook (crossbreed) is black with what I can only describe as almost turquoise earlobes! (Looks like a raven with black eyes!) I have never seen this before and as she is a young chicken am looking fwd to seeing what she turns into? She is a cross breed from the same breeder. The lady who got them for me is a very experienced chicken keeper and attends this yearly rare breed auction every year so trust her instincts.

Chooks drank loads of water on arrival and are settling for the night......tomorrow is another day so hope they will be all ok. :)

Ah your new ladies sound lovely. The raven is begging for the name Tina turner as I suspect she may be a diva:) it will be interesting to read how they integrate with your existing flock. Yours just seem to get on with it, maybe because they have no restrictions for space.

They are lucky girls to be joining your gang.

Let the newbies out today and they are pottering about in the bottom garden in the sunshine very happily where there are lots of fallen leaves and left pellets and corn for them to 'find'. The big girls are in the top garden and largely ignoring them, so they have space to get adjusted and appear very healthy. Think you may be right about the 'raven' being a diva as she has already chased poor shy miss Barnevelder away, as well as Mr Robin who is determined to grab a few pellets from the bowl.

Worming time will be due soon so gives me a chance to get them all done to be on the safe side. Lovely sunny day so the chooks will make the most of it as rain is due for the rest of the week.

Late home tonight so going out in a min to see where everyone is sleeping!? Yep things are going well so far and as for ginormous garden, er nope just a quarter acre.....would love more! (But you all know what would happen then!?)

As for the raven with the turquoise, I don't think there is any Silkie as( did see they were a breed to have this) as her head and body are to smooth. Think she is a slw mix, but mix with what???? Will try and get a pic soon as the earlobes almost gave me a fright at first thinking there was something wrong with her medically but think it's just her colouring and despite putting google upsidedown last night can find no chook like her!

Away to count and hope the tally comes to 32 now..............

That's about right!!...though gavclojak thinks the raven may be a tina Turner! Hope they are sleeping through all the fireworks ok tonight, as have one wee traumatised dog hiding behind a wing chair not happy. The other dog does not bat an eyelid!

Think I have the raven sussed....did more looking up online last night and also checked the auction sheet again and the breeder also had 3 Minorcas.....sooo reckon she is either a Minorca or cross Minorca/ Slw. Her earlobes should turn white in time? Either way she will remain the raven for now. Quite flighty and the Wyandottes are now running up the drive at lunchtime and coming for corn. Love the little eagles though who have such a comical gait running as if pantaloons are in the way, so cute but getting bigger now. All's well in Chooksville. :)