redsunset

This morehens disease again

Mars, I have quite a few trees near where the new shed is to be and don't think I will have the space now as will be cutting overhanging branches forever more. I do have two Apple trees that I bought this year in my 'bit' of garden and got apples (small tho) from both so was very happy. Hard to grow certain fruit trees up here due to very high winds but I try.. :) Have two plum trees as well but nothing from them as yet

Hard to grow certain fruit trees up here due to very high winds but I try.. :) Have two plum trees as well but nothing from them as yet

I know Redsunset, it is hard to grow fruit trees in the north west of Scotland, that is why I said disease resistant on M111, those are the apple trees which can grow there.

Had a funny feeling little half chook (chook who lost her tail after a dog attack 18 months ago and never grew back) wasn't herself at lunchtime today. Hunched up keeping herself to herself. Thought at first moult but noticed yellow pooh. Came home tonight and decided to go out with torch and sure enough she hadn't moved since lunchtime, or gone to bed with the others. Lifted her in (very thin, those feathers hide a lot) as could really feel her breastbone. I don't think she's long for the world but she's nice and warm in a bed of straw near a radiator for now and will try fluids shortly but think it might be too late. At least she's indoors and had a happy two and a half years with me :(

Thank you gavclojak, sometimes u can have an uncanny feeling when you have had your chooks a while and just know something isn't quite right. I look them all over every day as I am able to come home at lunchtime. Glad I went out with torch as have found chickens will isolate themselves when very ill and hate the thought that they could die on their own out in the cold. She refused water and her comb is a bit purplish which lets me know just to keep her warm and comfortable. She might surprise me in the morning but I doubt it. She was a feisty little madam who survived a dreadful attack on her back by an escaped retriever and managed quite happily for eighteen months without a tail. In fact she looked like a quail after that! She is warm and comfortable and that's all I can do for now.

Half chook still here and left her just now tucking into posh cat food! I'd bought a few tins for my old cat as a treat as they were on offer and now they are for the chicken! If she's eating then there is hope. Fully expected her to have passed away through the night as she is literally skin and bone but now drinking water, and actually eating from this afternoon. Delighted, but not sure if she will recover yet? If she continues to eat then the big cage will be opened out as chook ER once again for a couple of weeks. :)

Aww, that made me cry! Was doing ok up to then gavclojak!

Oh I didn't mean to upset you :eh:

I think she is a little actress that one and just wanted to come in to the warm and be spoilt for a little while. Eating and drinking, I bet she thinks she is in the ritz!

Sounds more hopeful than yesterday doesn't it, so keep eating little one, fill your boots and keep warm and snug :clap:

Lol, it's ok! And dunno about the ritz as she's in half a cat box with straw and couple of dishes with food /water by a radiator among sacks of chicken feed! Could stroke her last night as she cared not a jot but today her fighting spirit is back with a don't even think about it bok! Gonna take a lot of feeding up before I can let her back out, but for now she looks like she's returned from the dead and thinking of making a go of it :) Here's hoping

Thanks everyone, Half Chook is doing great! Way better than I expected as think she had given up. Poops returned to normal and eating well. Am truly amazed and so glad I went out with the torch that night. I fully expect her now to be indoors for another week I'd say, and if she does as well as she's doing then back out with the others. I am hoping shed will be up by next weekend? :)