Egluntyne

The Great 2013 Declutter

Ooh good, can I count the five bags I took in January? :D I have just agreed a date with a friend last night for 'Tip Trip' - we both have stuff in the loft (her) and garage (me) that is lingering around because it's too big for the bin, or because it might work if we had time to fiddle with it. We are going to encourage/support each other and do a couple of tip runs. Each of us has to stop the other from saying 'oh, I might hang on to that after all ...'

We've got rid of loads of stuff recently as we are moving and OH was just saying yesterday that if we came back to this house it would be nice if it looked like it does now 8) I refrained from telling him that partly this is before there is no longer 'stuff' all over every available surface, which is something we could have achieved without going to the tip/charity shop/post office for ebay on numerous occasions. The solution is called a cupboard, aka putting it away where you found it :lol:

Having said that it does feel good doesn't it - the stuff is no longer there looking at you all the time, its amazing how few possessions are really meaningful :roll:

Olly - I have a friend who positively likes going to the tip..... :shock:

Yes :D

I decluttered the under-the-stairs-cupboard which also serves as our larder. We are now the proud possessors of what I can call a walk in pantry as we no longer have to shimmy past the ironing board and hoover in a strange crab like motion because all the plastic bags and other accumulated junk which was all over the floor is now either thrown away or neatly folded at the back, under the stairs out of the way 8)

I've done a MAJOR de-clutter at work - my office has been painted so I had to move loads of stuff and was determined not to put most of it back - 5 years worth of stuff is quite scary!!! Anyway, I've dumped loads of stuff and hope I can keep it that way - just got to tackle the in-tray now, which is rather more scary!!!

I spent the first few months of the year de-cluttering the office prior to its move. I am now getting on with stuff at home.... finally got round to cutting back in the garden as there was never the time/good weather at the end of last year.

Better late than never I guess.

I have taken 2 bags of stuff to the charity shop in the last 2 weeks.

Ah gardens ...that reminds me. I've had all the garden hedges cut back, some after 8 years of growing wild. My garden is now at least 4 foot wider and a number of trees which started off life as hedging plants have been reined in. I can see both ends of the garden shed and all in all it looks less like a jungle and more like a garden :D I still have plenty of wildlife habitat but I feel there is a better balance now :D

Yep been de-cluttering here too. 3 loads to the tip last week, garage still needs more organising and sorting through but I can fit the bikes in it now!

Clothes, toys, books, furniture all set for the charity shop.

Done hours of gardening too so on the next dry evening will have a bonfire.

I can't believe I have let things get so bad. :oops:

You do all realise that I'm the one buying all your stuff? - I seem to have gone wrong somewhere :think::anxious:

:shameonu: you're not filling up those outhouses are you Lesley? :roll:

No. not the outhouses unfortunately :lol: I did take L charity shop shopping on Thursday and we found a lovely, new, prom dress for her for her school prom in April......£9 !! 8) Bargain! - her friend has spent £90 on one :shock:

Now I'll have to sort out stuff to take in instead.

This probably isn't news to some of you on here, but when I was in the Oxfam shop on Saturday I realised that they would come and collect stuff from us if we had too much to bring to the shop. I had been looking at the books on display and thinking of mine I have to get rid of. I remarked that they had so many that surely they would not want loads more. The lady told me that they are always "crying out" for books, and to cut a long story short, took my number so that someone would give me a ring prior to coming round to collect what I have. So I have been going through stuff today so that I can make their visit worthwhile - they might as well have all the good stuff I need to get rid of. Some old costume jewellery, some bric-a-brac, some surplus kitchen stuff. And I will also ask them if they want my old videos and a set of children's encyclopaedias I have. :) I have also got two knitting machines but I can't bring myself to get rid of them yet. :?

I've just had a letter from Cancer Research telling me they raised £84.18 from the sale of my goods during the last tax year. (I'm slightly disappointed it wasn't more, thinking about the volume of stuff I've thrown out! possibly it says something about how long I keep things, though ... :lol: )

Seriously, it's really good to know that my cast-off clothing, unused household goods and books can actually raise money for a good cause, and it's quite an incentive to carry on decluttering, maybe I will try and beat last year's target by donating some better quality stuff!

I'm trying to make my the house easier to keep tidy so doing another purge of stuff we don't use. I'm not a big shopper so I can't work out why we have so much stuff :roll:

I have a crate of weee recycling, another crate filling up with paint tins to be disposed of at the tip. The garage is pretty awful though, I'm struggling to know where to start.

I finally managed to persuade my OH to let me get rid of his double duvet that he bought at uni :roll: seriously that was 29 years ago :lol: and it is much too heavy to use in an insulated house (student digs were seriously cold).

Major sort out of clothes for YS, I swear he has grown 2 inches in the last few months.

I need to do another sort through of books, I find those the hardest to get rid of but my sister is fond of gory crime novels and passed me a box of them I'm probably never going to read.

We are in the process of sorting through our books again, we try to do this every couple of years, but this time we are being more ruthless and getting rid of a lot of reference books because we feel that the Internet has now taken their role. We have also both bought ereaders this year therefore we have decided not to buy fiction in paper form from now on, we will still buy cookbooks, but we have had a real cul of those too. The local charity shops do seem to have a lot of books at the moment so I don't think that we are alone.