Chicken deficient

Grit and pellets for bantams

My Pekins are now about 12 weeks old. I have some photos, I just need to work out how to get them onto here next...!

I'm feeding them Organic (Allen & Page) growers' pellets, but having to crush them up because one of them seems to really struggle with the size of them, though she can happily swallow a whole piece of sweetcorn. Is this normal? She is the smallest and thinnest of them all, but very bright and active.

Also, I'd be grateful for a bit of grit advice. The normal big chicken grit I think is too big for them, but should I get them chick grit, pigeon grit or growers' grit?!

Thank you!

p.s I am now the proud owner of charcoal and celery crocs (after all, my Eglu is green and grey! :) )

What breed of bantam do you have? Sorry but I haven't been on here for a week and haven't kept up to date, so if you've already posted the details -sorry!!

Most bantams will be fine on normal size growers pellets. As for grit, we I use bird grit, or pigeon grit, from my nearest petfood shop for my chicks. Then when they are grown up, I use normal hen grit, but if you can by smaller grit for bantams, then I imagine it's better. Mine have a decent size area to roam in, so they can pick up what they need from the ground anyway, I just chuck some hen grit down every now and again to be sure.

eat it and it stays in the gizzard, to help break down the other food they eat (grind it up).

My banties find normal pellets ok, but mine got on really well with the organic ones that are sold on Omlet (I got them from a local store), they are thinner and smaller than most pellets.

What breed of bantam do you have? Sorry but I haven't been on here for a week and haven't kept up to date, so if you've already posted the details -sorry!!

Most bantams will be fine on normal size growers pellets. As for grit, we I use bird grit, or pigeon grit, from my nearest petfood shop for my chicks. Then when they are grown up, I use normal hen grit, but if you can by smaller grit for bantams, then I imagine it's better. Mine have a decent size area to roam in, so they can pick up what they need from the ground anyway, I just chuck some hen grit down every now and again to be sure.

Thanks! I've got Pekin bantams, and one of them STILL thinks she can't eat pellets :roll: . Sweetcorn twice the size slips down no problem though...I can get hold of 'Growers' Grit', which I think is half way between chick and hen grit, so I guess I'll go for that.