oneyolktoanother

Flubenvet any ideas?

Everytime i worm my chooks with flubenvet as they can have no treats, they start to peck each other :cry: which drives me mad, so last time i gave them a few greens at about 1 in the afternoon and every couple of days i gave them a few dired bugs just before they went tobed which stopped the pecking. But what should i do this time round as i want them to be wormed but dont want the pecking to start.

I might get told off for this but.....

Flubenvet is very non-toxic, and is sometimes used in far greater concentrations (under vets' directions etc) than we do at home.

So, my answer is to do two things. I medicate some treats, like corn, in the same way as the pellets (at the same ratio). If they have other treats, I weigh them, assume that the hens won't eat quite all of them, and add a little more Flubenvet, proportionately, to the pellets.

That way they are getting approximately the right dose (and if it's a teeny bit more it won't hurt), and they are getting the dose through the day rather than in a 'dose' which is apparently important.

I dont change anything about my birds routine when i worm them i use the sacks of layers with flubenvet mixed in and all my chickens and ducks still freerange have their corn and lettuces ive been doing this for years and never had a problem with worms leanne :)

Thats what i thought :) and they do still eat all there pellets, so i think i will keep it the same thankyou :)

I dont change anything about my birds routine when i worm them i use the sacks of layers with flubenvet mixed in and all my chickens and ducks still freerange have their corn and lettuces ive been doing this for years and never had a problem with worms leanne :)

I do the same and haven't had any problems either.

I've just started worming mine today and felt mean when I went out at teatime. So I just gave them a couple of small handfuls of mixed corn. Is that okay?

So long as it's later in the day when they will have eaten most of their pellets then that's fine, although they should only get a handful of corn between them as it's very fattening.