Gertie

Strange activity in the garden - fly tipping?

I went out this morning & noticed that someone had tipped a small amount of garden rubbish behind a fence at the bottom of the garden. Nothing particularly unusual about this unfortunately. What is odd, is that later when I went for a walk in my garden, I found a green wheelie bin (the sort you purchase from the council for garden waste). This has appeared since yesterday at 7pm. The events appear to be linked as some of the waste in the bin matches that by the fence. Someone has gone to considerable trouble to put the wheelie bin in our garden as there is no easy access and the garden is more like field and woodland on a slope with no easy access.

I've told the police as the bin must belong to someone. I've also taken the bin away incase someone was coming back to use it for something!

Has anyone had anything like this happen to them?

It is annoying that people are so inconsiderate! I'm definitely going to ring the council on Monday as I hope they might have a record of who owns the bin so they can get it back.

I'm worried as to what the motive is for taking the trouble to place it in our garden. It's not the kind of location you'd be passing to just dump something. Someone went to a lot of trouble to lift it over locked gates & walls & wheel it up a sloping field!

Its a mystery!

Very odd, and I hope that you get to the bottom of it.

Wheelie bins in our area are all stamped, so there's a record of which household they are given to, but it could have been stolen, so while it will go back where it belongs, that might not help with your mystery.

Is this area near your house? If it is, I'd be tempted to put up some PIR lights which will illuminate the area when there's any movement - should act as a pretty good deterrent.

Well, this is a family forum!!!

I've photographed the serial number for use on Monday when the council opens!

The bin is about 100m from the house, but we do have security lights. Nonetheless it's very secluded away from the house itself.

Giant torch on charge & scout camera set up in the field incase they return. The bin is inside the porch so they won't be able to take it back.

Very curious affair & I'm sure someone must have been up to no good!

I wonder whether it's worth putting up a couple of signs about CCTV on the outer edges of your property :think:

I agree - farm suppliers or Countrywide sell them and they're not expensive. Cameras today can be so small that you don't need any large showy cameras - leave them wondering :wink:

Don't get me started on fly tipping :twisted:

My daughters lovely neighbours tipped a whole load of rubbish into her Uni house garden just before they moved in, & have since regularly chucked chewed dog bones & dirty nappies over the fence.

They have also bunged their non recyclable rubbish into the girls recyling bin when their bin is full.

The landlord isn't interested,nor are the council.

The girls can't even warn future tenants about it. Makes me mad.

That's a really un neighbourly thing to do Cinnamon. Could they be reported to the council for anti social behaviour?

We have walked all over & around the garden & area. Nothing untowards. The camera picked up badger, fox, deer, squirrel & cat!

I had a burglar alarm installed in November when I had the electrics done. Will have to start using it & locking the gates.

I will have a look at CCTV. We really want a dog!

Our wheelie bins are all stamped but given that they were more or less thrown out of the delivery wagons and in front of the houses the council can't have any records of which bin goes with which house. Ours were also supplied with a chip under the bin. I've pulled this off all our bins. Wouldn't trust the council not to sneak in weighing and charging more per bin weight and also people putting their rubbish in our bin!

Well, I drew a blank with the council. As the bin is not recent, it is not registered. The newer ones now are. They said they would come and pick it up...any time in the next 28 days. As we have nowhere to leave it on the roadside, this would mean leaving our drive gates open for 28 days...obviously not what we want to do after someone has been trespassing! so, I'm going to put it in the garage for the mean time as I don't know what to do with it. I will make some enquiries with a local lady who knows everyone and see if she knows if anyone has lost one, so we can return it.

The council were not interested in the fly tipping as it was on private land, Cinnamon. Nice! Thankfully it wasn't much so I tidied it up and will take it to the recycling centre when I go next.

I'm just left wondering what people are getting up to in my garden at night. :shock:

I'm just left wondering what people are getting up to in my garden at night. :shock:

I would be too - Id' be up there with night vision bin, watching them! I have a side access alley up the side of the house, although there's a fence around the garden... if I hear any noises outside at night, or the PIR lights trigger unexpectedly, i just open the door and let the hounds out to see what's going on. I doubt that any burglar could do 0-30mph quicker than my hounds! :lol::lol:

Doubt if it would work but you could always try a few posters

Found

Lost wheelie bin

Discovered 13/4/13

Contains an item of value we feel owner may wish to reclaim ( :liar::D )

You never know, they might be dim enough to bite

:lol: Brilliant!

Let's hope it was just a one-off, although it would be nice to know who it was and their purpose.

Heh heh! I might do that. I'd probably be inundated with curious people pretending to have lost a wheelie bin!!!

The gas canister turned out to be a helium one for filling party balloons. Who has one of those at home??

Yes it would be nice to know what, who & why. I do think it was probably for reasons of up to no good, but hopefully I'm wrong!

Great inspired idea...but when I picked it up yesterday I think I read it was ''non refillable, please recycle" on it. Typical!!! Maybe I'll have some leads with the twirl wrapper & lavender cuttings!

Someone dumped 3 big canisters the refillable & refundable kind, opposite our gate in a hedge a while back. As it was holiday time I watched with interest as some guy (who regularly walks his dogs past my house) with a very big rucksack came back 3 days in a row & bagged & walked off with them! That's opportunistic recycling!

I love the way this post is turning into a crime solving who dunnit! :lol:

I love the way this post is turning into a crime solving who dunnit! :lol:

Me too - I can't wait to find out who it is.

Similar problems at work, with 'sorts' accessing the estate at night and stealing equipment and diesel from tractors and diggers.... the gamekeeper has just said that he's going to set up some night vision cameras on that area and sit up there tonight; I'd love to see the look on their faces when he pitches up! :lol:

Oh yeah, night vision goggles. He could hide out somewhere and then leap out cloaked and with a pitchfork.

I did try to set up my scout camera but all I caught was wildlife (im secretly glad about that)!

It really is annoying when other folk take it upon themselves to steal/tresspass and otherwise make themselves a nuisance. My Dad's work has issues with theft of diesel.