Lorax

Best drinker?

Any recommendations for the best drinker? We currently have the Super Glug with nipples but it's breaking and I see that Omlet no longer makes it with nipples (any idea why?).

I'm also starting to wonder if my chooks get enough water out of it as recently I used a (very small, stop-gap) gravity drinker and they seem to drink much more from that. Could be my imagination but as I'm in the market for a new drinker I thought I would ask what you find to be good.

I currently have six chooks.

Many thanks.

I gave up on the Glug when I moved to a walk-in run and six hens, while I loved the way it matched the Eglu :oops: it didn't hold enough in my view. I've got a galvanised metal drinker, like these ones and have been using this for years. I stand it on a short log, when it was on the ground it got dust kicked into it a lot.

Drinker perched on an upturned terracotta plant pot... same type, but the plastic version. I have three.... one in their run and two in the garden, especially in warm weather. My chooks have beards, which get wet with an open drinker, which isn't ideal in winter. I've noticed though, that chooks like to drink from shallow things, like upturned bucket rims that have gathered rain water, puddles and the like. This type of drinker provides that for them.

I'd say the best in terms of volume it holds, not taking up run space and keeping the water clean, has to be the super glug with nipples. However, not all of mine will use it and they really do drink more from the gravity type drinkers.

I recently got a 4 litre gravity drinker, (plastic so I can add apple cider vinegar), and it is great, but it is a balancing act getting it high enough for them to not kick dirt into it, yet them still being able to reach it to drink.

Also, in winter, the nipples freeze on the super glug, but you can sit the other type on a snugglesafe heat pad.

So, I have both! That way I'm happy they are drinking plenty, yet alway have a clean water supply.

Thanks so much for all your replies! Today we bought a big galvanised steel gravity drinker from our local pet shop.

I totally know what you mean that they seem to prefer to drink from puddles and stuff like that though!

I still have the super glug, for as long as it lasts but they seem much happier and drink far more, with the new one. And now I feel slightly bad that the super glug has been their only drinker for the last 2.5 years.

And as you say we can also get a pad to keep the water from freezing.

Many thanks again. I'm never failed to be impressed with the generosity and kindness of this forum.

I have glugs (the round ones) but my chickens' favourite drinking vessel is a very large plant saucer put up on tiles. It was originally intended to be a bath for the doves but the chickens always use it and as it is just about neck hight it means that the Polands sip from it (just as if they were drinking wine :lol: ) and don't get their beards or heads wet. However it does need to be refilled each day.

I have a Superglug hung low so Gerald the duck can drink from the top of it but the Pekin girls still go underneath and use the nipples.

At The National last year I bought a 30l Plastic Leg Drinker from Regency

legDrinkersmall.jpg

It's good 'cos its large capacity but doesn't take up too much room in the run, and they can't kick dirt + Aubiose into it! :lol: