Flossie G

Breeders (pure breeds)

Hello,

I would like to add some pure breeds to the flock. I'd like an Orpington and/or a Rhode Island Red or two, but finding breeders who sell pure breeds in my area is proving rather difficult. I've checked the listings on Omlet and numerous other sites: no joy.

If anyone knows of poultry breeders who sell pure breeds in the Aylesbury (Bucks) area, please let me know. Beds, or Oxon would also be a possibility.

Thanks.

I visited Acorn Nursery, a family run plant nursery and small holding in Stadhampton, Oxfordshire, last year. While they normally sell a variety of hybrid point of lay chickens, when I was there he had a Buff Orpington and her chicks on show. He also had a Silver Laced Wyandotte trio too.

Certainly worth a visit if you are in that direction, even if you don't buy anything!

Andrew

I really know what you mean about how difficult it is to find pure breeds in our area. I can only suggest keeping a good eye on Practical Poultry ads as sadly Acorn nursery don't stock pure breeds anymore having found there was no call for them in Oxfordshire :( . I've travelled right to Hambel Valley down near Southampton for my Slikies and my Polands however we are lucky in that we do have a pure breed Frizzle breeder our door step. :D

bear in mind too that any pure breeds you buy at this time of year are either much older (12-16 months) or much younger (3-4 months) so if you do find any breeders, be prepared to be told they've none at POL.

If you want the 'right' age (POL) then you'll have to look at hybrids

I agree, you wont find many pure breeds at POL at the moment but there should be some in the next few months

Try the clubs of the breeds involved - For Orpingtons there are two - the Buff Orpington Club and the Orpington Club. A list of the clubs and their contacts can be found on the PCGB Website. Most clubs hold a list of breeders so should be able to help

I know of a lady in roughly the right area that breeds both Orps and RIR I think, I will ask if she has anything suitable if you like?

There is a chap on the Practical Poultry forum that breeds RIR and very nice they are too, he is in Berkshire. Its worth a 'wanted' ad on there if you are a member (The lady I mention above is also a member on there)

Ah. That would explain why Acorn Nursery didn't reply to my email.

I have been asking for hens aged 11 weeks + because I think that they would be big enough to take the knocks from my my other girls. Feel free to put me right on this!

I am not ruling out chicks, not least because it would be far cheaper. I shall look into it.

Redwing: If you know a breeder, please do ask. I'll check the Practical Poultry pages as well, and the idea of poultry clubs is a good one. Thanks.

I wouldn't mix youngsters in with your older girls, certainly not straight away.

I've only introduced POL age in with my older girls (at least 18 weeks) and then only after gradual introductions.

If you must mix them in straight away (not recommended) then go for older pure breeds

If you can keep them separated until they're the right age then do get chicks, keep them separate but in view and you'll find by the time they're POL the introductions will be straight forward.

I hadn't thought about a Barnevelder, but I am thinking about one now. I hadn't thought of a Frizzle either, but find I am thinking about one of those too.

Never heard of Widgets, but I've now looked at their website and they look like a possibility for an Orpy, though no RIRs that I could see. I've also registered with Practical Poultry and will post a wanted ad.

SC: Feather dusters with beaks! They are lovely, but maybe not hardy?

I think they are hardy enough for the south of England though possibly not for Scotland as their backward pointing feathers do mean that they are not as well insulated as normally feathered beings. My frizzles had no special attention over the last few winters but they did like to squish up under larger hens in the hen house to keep warm bless them :lol:

Worth thinking about a Frizzle, then.

No responses to my Practical Poultry post. I have supposedly pre-ordered a couple of RIRs from a guy in Beds, but he only took my name, not my number or anything and told me to ring late summer or autumn. I am not counting on him!

I tried to sent you a pm about the meet but it is still in my outbox after several days. My OH will be coming and so will my dog, if it's too warm to leave her in the car. She's a lovely girl, but is one of life's enthusiasts. Let me know if you think she'll be a problem.

Thanks.

Hello Flossie - I did get your PM and have popped your name with OH + dog on the first post of the thread on 'Berks Border tea and cakes' in the Get Together section of the forum. See

HERE

I'm sure your dog won't be a problem if we can sit outside. I'll pop by to the Herb Garden this Sunday to make sure :D If it is cold or rainy and we all need to be inside then your dog will most likely be fine in the car with the window open a little. My little JR x Spaniel is a frequent visitor to there :D

Hi Flossie

There's a lovely old guy in Buckingham who breeds Australorps (and he had a few Pekins too).

PM me for his tel no.

Australorps are fantastic - beautiful, friendly and great layers. We're very pleased we got one. May get more in the future.

I've also bought from Widgits - would recommend.

Well, I tried the older guy in Buckingham. No luck. So, I phoned Mini Meadows in Northants and was due to pick up a RIR, a Buff Sussex and a Cream Legbar yesterday. By the time I got there, not a Buff Sussex was to be seen and only a few RIRs and Cream Legbars were available. I didn't think that the Cream Legbars left looked that great, so opted for a RIR and a hybrid (a Pied Suffolk, I think) as a compromise.

My oldies are in a rage and are taking it in turns to do some close-up glaring through the wire of the temporary pen - in between yelling and stomping sessions around the garden. Piper, the PS, is a bit intimidated by this, but not Ruby the RIR. She is definitely up for some aggro.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my posts to help me out.

The Pied Suffolk is very pretty indeed - all black apart from a speckled white cape. Her black feathers have a greenish blue tinge and she has nice eyes too.

Both girls are in the temporary pen and I wouldn't be able to get a good shot of them. As soon as I can, I'll post a photo (I'm sure it can't be that difficult).