Yorkshire Pudding

A moment of ranting

My son has a friend who goes with him to martial arts training every Friday. Each week he arrived at my house beforehand, I drop them off and pick them up and take him home afterwards. He usually arrives a bit early, tonight he was here 90 minutes early. I don't mind this.

I even bit my tongue when, on the one occasion I couldn't take them, his parents took him and another lad who fancied trying the sport, but didn't offer my son a lift - he missed that session.

When they were competing at championships, I drove. I was responsible for him for the day - 10 hours.

I need a rant because he never, ever thanks me. His parents have never spoken to me despite the fact that I am at their house weekly. And because my son is unwelcome at their house because in the one occasion he did call round, he didn't ask the dog's name. He wasn't rude, the dog jumped up at him and he said hello to it.

Thank you for listening...

I hate rudeness!

I am in awe of your patience! If I were you I would have spoken to the parents some time ago and suggested that they 'pull their weight' and, if the response was negative, have cut ties (but then I am turning into a crabby old bat as I get older - 48 less VAT - less and less patience with folk who take the doodah!) :roll::lol:

:talk2hand: Know how it feels - we have the same with lift shares to swimming, the key word being "share" though some people exempt themselves when it comes to taking my YS :roll:

Rise above it - you do it for the lad, not the parents, otherwise you will go mad :D

Thats rubbish :evil:

I think imight say "thanks for the lift" as he is getting out the car, loudly, especially if mother is there :evil:

I hate one way friendships, they really frustrate me

We apppreciate you :D

Cathy

X

Thanks Cathy, :D I did try a loud 'you're welcome' a few times but I think it was lost on him. I've given up hope off seeing his mum since she now stays in the house, doesn't even put a head out of the door as I drop him off :roll: I've given up hinting since it makes my DS cringe with embarrassment and none of it is his fault. He gets on well with the lad at school but he can see why I find this irritating.

He knows full well that if were to behave like that he would be in HUGE trouble at home!

:talk2hand: Know how it feels - we have the same with lift shares to swimming, the key word being "share" though some people exempt themselves when it comes to taking my YS :roll:

Rise above it - you do it for the lad, not the parents, otherwise you will go mad :D

That's the attitude I'm trying to cultivate, SarahJo... Just this evening I have been struggling a bit! Glad I'm not the only one though :anxious:

Why not ring his mother and suggest that you do alternate weeks? If she says no, then suddenly you won't be able to take her son either, because of a new commitment. I've been in this situation more times than enough and I know how frustrating it is.

Why are people so rude and ungrateful ! Cant they see you are doing them a favour. I always make an effort to thank my friends when we do lift shares etc and always do my upmost to return that favour too. Luckily I have a good bunch and we all rally around each other and no one take the mickey which this particular family seem to do.

Well done for having such great patience and showing your Son a good example to follow, hoping one day you will get a deserved thanks xx

PS Think Egluntynes idea is a good one

Why not ring his mother and suggest that you do alternate weeks? If she says no, then suddenly you won't be able to take her son either, because of a new commitment. I've been in this situation more times than enough and I know how frustrating it is.

Unfortunately that can't happen since she doesnt drive and has a little one who is in bed by picking-up time. Her OH apparently works every Friday evening.

I don't mind being the taxi - I would just like to be thanked occasionally.

The lad is usually pleasant enough, I think its his parents who are taking the mickey!

This is so difficult isn't it.?.. I had this for about three years with DD, who had a friend whose mother wanted to share lifts...no problem, except that we were on her way to school whereas I had to go a couple of miles in the wrong direction to pick her daughter up and then she used to give another girl in her road a lift and so I ended up taking her on too...then of course came the time when she couldn't pick up my DD anymore because she didn't work every day so I ended up doing it most days :roll: . I didn't mind picking up my daughter's friend but toward the end I'd started grinding my teeth about picking up the extra girl (who inevitably was never ready and made us late etc etc) and whose parents never ever said thank you or reciprocated.

All I can say is that its all in the past now because DD is 23 and now I find when I remember it I smile at all the silly conversations we all had in the car and I'm so glad I had the opportunity to share some time with them all - that precious time with your children is gone so fast- so yes, perhaps you'll laugh about it one day too!