cluckingmad

Day 14 and starting to wonder about coccidiostat...

Right fellow chicken loonies, have questions! Nutmeg our buff sussex mum-to-be is happily sitting on 8 crested cream legbar eggs and is on day 14 of her sit so starting to get things in place for the chicks (fingers crossed all goes as planned)...

So, first question - chick crumbs with or without coccidiostat? Understand the benefits of coccidiostat (assume ACS is same?) but will it harm Mum if she has a nibble on it while in lock down?

Secondly - Nutty currently goes out once a day (briefly) for the call of nature etc, need to pop a non-slip mat into the eglu for the chicks so they don't slip, is it safe to move the eggs gently so I can pop the mat in? OR is it better to just load the eglu with aubiose so they don't slip?

Thirdly, what have folk used as a ramp for the chicks to get back into the eglu?

Ta all :D xxx

ps how on earth do I wait another 7 days without popping with excitement?!

Hi There.

I just took out the bars and put auboise in the eglu, I did have mostly straw in her nest but once eggs hatched i did

fill up also with auboise so it was all pretty much level.

This was my first go - and i used 'with' but after a few days the 2 chicks were being taught how to eat grass, corn,

blueberries . . . . . mum is also breaking up her own pellets for the chicks. I really don't know if this is correct but

mum is teaching them the ropes.... and corn on the cob is going down so well,

Their basics' are crumb though....

Also for a ramp i broke up a rabbit ramp i had but to be honest they only used it for one day........ it took 3/4 days

before mum took them out as she was still sitting on eggs. you could make a little ramp with the auboise...it only

needs to be tiny...

cheers

Tace

My broodys get fed chick crumb or growers the whole time they are sat with corn mixed in. it is medicated and then when the chicks hatch they have chick crumb and grass nothing else until they are 3 weeks then they get a handful of corn with mum and I leave a bowl of chick grit around for them leanne :)

The whole medicated/unmedicated feed debate will always rage but at the end of the day it's personal choice.

If you choose not to give medicated feed then order a bottle if Coxoid so you gave it to hand just in case

Cocci kills in hours not days so if it hits you will not have time to order medicine

I've raised nearly all my chicks on non medicated this year withno problems

Keeping the brooder dry is key, I now use Megazorb bedding which is just amazingly dry at all times

after having lost 2 of my first chicks coccidois all my chicks now get medicated chick crumb up to 6 weeks old as I don't want to go through losing chicks to it again I just take the feeder in when they FR to stop the rest of the mob eating it