Luvachicken

Advice for Daisy needed (16 and 1/2)

Some of you may have read about our elderly cocker spaniel before but I really need some different advice.

The trouble is that Daisy smells different to usual.

She has for quite a while had fish breath, but the last couple of days she smells different.

I have washed her blankets and her bed, put the doormats outside, cleaned the carpets but I can still smell the smell.

Yesterday she was so fast asleep I managed to give her a sniff all over but she didn't smell :?

So I think the smell is from her mouth - the trouble is that it kind of smells like stale wee - thats why I cleaned everything, but I think it is her :(

What do I do, could she be ill or do we just put up with the smell ?

Oh dear, I really feel for you, it's so hard when they become elderly. I know my previous elderly cocker had a terrible smell to her breath, vet advised it was her kidneys failing, although she lived for another couple of years and eventually died pneumonia.

I did wonder when you said about the urine smell if she was leaking a little whilst asleep but obviously not if the smell is from her mouth.

I hope you get to the bottom of it.

Hi luvachicken :D Sorry to hear about Daisy. As you know our Sparks is the same age. I think I would just pop in to my vets for a quick word, might not even be necessary to take Daisy with you. Hope you can find a solution. Is she still happy in herself :?: Bless the oldies :D Ax

It could be kidney disease, but it could also be a urinary infection, gingivitis, dirty teeth or even constipation - all can make them smell a bit off. I assume that she is pooing normally?

Is she drinking any more than usual? Definite vet appointment if she is!

Also, I'd put a clean jam jar underneath her when she is weeing and catch a sample. Have a sniff - if it knocks you over, she probably does have a urinary infection - again go to the vet.

If you do go to the vets with her, it would help them if you took a fresh urine sample in a sterilised jam jar - (to sterilise wash thoroughly in hot soapy water, rinse thoroughly with clean water and then bake lid and jar in the oven at 180 for a bit. Put lid on and let it cool to room temp before collecting sample).

Thanks every one - didn't get a chance to come on here yesterday.

In fact yesterday she didn't have the odd smell at all until she washed her lady bits :?

First of all I thought maybe she had some food stuck in her teeth, which would have been there for a couple of days - hence the smell, and thats why she didn't smell yesterday.

But then today she is a little bit whiffy but not as bad as the other day.

I think tomorrow I will take her to the vets and see what they say.

It will be hard to get a sample of wee from her because she puts her botty so close to the floor.

As for her poo, she seems to like to poo in a little trail, most often it is solid but she does have days when it is loose - thats probably when she has stolen soil out of my pots :shameonu:

Ah just read this! Let us know how you and Daisy get on at the vets? Do you brush her teeth? We brush Willow's once a week.......but she still has "doggy" breath :roll:

We didn't go to the vets in the end - we think she had food stuck on her teeth, and in this hot weather :vom:

Unfortunately, she won't even let the vet in her mouth, so she only has her teeth done when she has an op, but now she is too old for that :(

It's hard to know what to do for the best.

Ah just read this! Let us know how you and Daisy get on at the vets? Do you brush her teeth? We brush Willow's once a week.......but she still has "doggy" breath :roll:

Perhaps you need to look at what you're feeding her; I have always fed my dogs on a raw diet and they don't have stinky breath. My last lurcher was 16.5 when she died and still didn't smell.