Ain't Nobody Here

Punctuation question

Don't read this if you think life's too short to worry about punctuation :wink: .

I've been given a new job description and have been pretty disgusted by the poor punctuation and lack of consistency in it - considering it's been written by the Children and Families Department (ie schools) I'd have thought they could produce a document without any errors :roll: .

I'm undecided about one phrase, though. Is the apostrophe in the right place?

...... to ensure consistent and appropriate provision of education and care which meets individual pupil's needs.

I think it should be pupils'. If the word an was in there, pupil's would be right. Agreed?

I'm tempted to send it back marked with all their errors and say I'll sign it when they correct them :twisted: .

I think their punctuation is incorrect - and I think that the sentence is badly worded.

Kirstine's suggestion is better than the original

A 'the needs of individual pupils'

Alternatively, if they really wanted to stress their care to each individual, then they c/should have said

"meets each individual pupil's needs" (the addition of the "each" means that the "pupil's" would be correct).

OK, as there are others out there as sad as me about language, here are some more examples of their poor use of language :lol: .

Under the direction of teaching staff and in accordance with the school's behaviour policy and staff training, support the decision made when an individual pupil needs to be removed from the body of the class and spend 'time out' in order to de-escalate unacceptable behaviour and what follow up action is necessary.

There's a verb missing. Isn't there?

eg restraining pupil's in accordance ....

Punctuation repair kit at the ready!

eg hill walking, sailing up to once or twice a week and morning pupil's activities/preventing injury;

Er, since when was 'morning' a verb :? ? 'Monitoring' perhaps :roll: ?

... throughout the school year for example assist with learning of carols through a range of communication approaches at Christmas assist pupils in making biscuits to sell at school fairs etc.

Where do I start :wall: .

OK, as there are others out there as sad as me about language, here are some more examples of their poor use of language :lol: .

Under the direction of teaching staff and in accordance with the school's behaviour policy and staff training, support the decision made when an individual pupil needs to be removed from the body of the class and spend 'time out' in order to de-escalate unacceptable behaviour and what follow up action is necessary.

There's a verb missing. Isn't there?

eg restraining pupil's in accordance ....

Punctuation repair kit at the ready!

eg hill walking, sailing up to once or twice a week and morning pupil's activities/preventing injury;

Er, since when was 'morning' a verb :? ? 'Monitoring' perhaps :roll: ?

... throughout the school year for example assist with learning of carols through a range of communication approaches at Christmas assist pupils in making biscuits to sell at school fairs etc.

Where do I start :wall: .

This is dreadful! :shock: I am really hoping that this is, in fact, some kind of test and if you DON'T mark it and send it back, you fail on account of your inability to spot poor grammar.

Surely......? :anxious:

That is an appalling document. I would be tempted to send it back with corrections (as it is a revised description and I assume you already have the job!) together with another sentence at the bottom

"assist in the grammar of the department" :lol:

A polite letter drawing their attention to the errors might be an idea as presumably the same person will also be sending similar letters to parents.

I think punctuation is very important. Sadly we may be losing the art with the texting and emailing generation.

I am very proud that my daughters, both in their 20's, send gramatically correct texts and take after me regarding the preservation of the apostrophe :D

Long live the apostrophe (used correctly)

I'd contribute :lol: . It might save me shouting "banana's WHAT???" or similar when I drive past an apostrophe/catastrophy sign :oops: . I only do that in my car :wink: .

Sadly, that job description was written by the Children and Families Department (covering the whole of Edinburgh) and must have been sent out to hundreds of Pupil Support Assistants (as we're now known :roll: ).

I'm biding my time to mention it to the Head Teacher - I don't want to sound like a total swot :oops: .

How frustrating. I too would be tempted to correct it, add "ensure standards of grammar and punctuation are upheld", and return it to the sender.

Reminds me of the time, many years ago, when a carefully written and punctuated batch of subject reports were checked by a member of the SLT and returned to me with a note attached reading "Please alter report for pupil x due to grammer."

:silenced:

Off at a bit of a tangent, I'll admit, but this reminds me of a wonderful end-of-year report I read when I was at school.

"The dawn of legibility in this boy's writing has finally revealed his utter inability to spell."

Thankfully, it wasn't written about me.

:lol: Very witty!

It is very frustating when you are in a new job and not sure how much of a fuss to make of things. Unfortunately I don't always know when to hold back and when I started work for my current employer I set too, pulling apart their policies and asking for them to be corrected. I am now in charge of policy development. Not sure how that happened! :shock::lol: