AndreaT

New Girls

After my boy heavy hatching attempts this year I decided that it was a shame that the only girl, a little black silkie, would be all by herself with the big girls so I did the only right thing and bought her a couple of playmates :D

9711244280_0252b28880.jpg

Only picked them up this morning so no definite names as yet but I'm thinking maybe Pumpkin and Sweet Pea.

They are lovely aren't they :D Had two eggs from them already, one in the run yesterday but she managed to find the nest box today :clap:

ps how did you put the photo in the post??

Here's the instructions http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=21972 it's quite easy when you get the hang of it. I use Flikr and find it pretty straight forward.

I am in the same boat. My pol girl had a male brother who is no more, and the hens are being horrid to her. Will you introduce the new pols to the lone chick on their own in the eglu. Or put them all in the main run together?

Xx

I don't have a run for them, they are all free range. The plan is that the two new ones will stay in the little run for a couple of weeks where the flock can free range round them and get used to them. I'll then start letting them all out together and eventually start putting the two new ones in with my other silkie. That's the plan but we are talking chickens here and they have a habit of doing just what they like! :lol: In the past when I had one girl that was constantly bullied I found that keeping her separate but with one of the others really helped and eventually they could all go together.

Hmm, that's a difficult one! :think: How many do you have at the moment and what breeds to you have? Could one of the others go in with her? How long have you had her? It can take quite a few weeks for them to accept her and she might always be bottom of the pecking order so as long as they're not drawing blood you could just bite the bullet and leave them to it.

If you really want to get some more then normally it's recommended that you have at least three in a flock so although it's not quite the same I might be tempted to go for two extra. That way if do they stick together as a mini flock and anything should happen to one you wouldn't be left with one girl on her own.

Hope that helps! :D