Princess Leia

Ill hen - any ideas?

Scramble, our Gingernut, has been off colour of a few days. She's 2 1/2 and hasn't been laying since last November. Seems to be permanently hunched down, neck in, tail down and is rather dirty round the back. She's still eating, free ranging and generally doing chickeny things - just slower than normal. Comb is pale and she just looks unhappy. Poppy (Pepperpot, same age, who also stopped laying last Nov) is fine and carrying on as normal. Pics taken this morning.

eh4w.jpg

erfx.jpg

Normally, she's like this

img1221rp.jpg

Any thoughts or ideas? We have never had to deal with a sick chick before (other than an injured foot) so don't really know where to start, other than visiting the vet?

OK, they have both been confined to quarters all week and have had a full 2kg of food with Flubenvet added. As of yesterday, there's been no obvious improvement in Scramble's condition. She's still hunched (didn't know a chicken could pull its neck in so far), and her comb - if anything - is even paler and more shrunken than in the top pic. She still came out to FR yesterday and followed Poppy around dutifully, though. Still drinking and eating OK.

Any other suggestions?

Something burning slowly there, she's not well is she poor thing. If you feel her chest each side of the breast bone you'll probably find she's lost weight. It's hard to work out what is going on.

She's got the stance of a hen with coccidia which loves the warm damp conditions we have now :? I'd get a vets opinion and a dropping sample analysed, a course of antibiotics can work wonders. Not experienced worms so I don't know how long it takes to pick up (nor have my girls :D )