Frances Russell

Grit container?!?

Hi.

I have had my girls a good couple of months now. I have tried various methods of making grit containers. The lady whom I bought my chickens from said you can make one out of a plastic milk bottle. This didn't work because the girls just pecked at the string and the plastic. Which caused the grit to fall out and milk bottle to fall down. Then tried the same thing with a plastic butter container. They did the same thing! I was just wondering if anybody had any ideas. And if not can anyone recommend where I can buy one from - I don't want a big grit feeder (Like the one on the omlet website) because I have only got two chickens!

Any help would be kindly accepted!

Thanks,

Frances :D

Thirded, or fifthed or however many people have posted above me :D Got mine when I bought my hens for about 50p.

I'll just add that if you have a Wilkinsons store near you they sell a variety of 'hook on the cage mesh'-type cups, go to their website and seach for 'Coop Cup'.

We got a very useful stainless steel bowl with a sturdy holder that we use for our girlies' suppers etc. from there, washes well, hooks on the run mesh firmly, strong and totally unbreakable.

You can order online for pick-up in store, they have an entire chicken section on the website, with prices better than regular garden centres/pet shops.

Nopes, I don't work for them :lol: