sadietoo

Kitchen Bin irritations

Ok so I have been shut in for a few days now over christmas and probably should get out more, but could Omlet's tried and tested section help me out here?

I am ready to throw our Brabantia, less than a year old kitchen bin out of the window.....it's a squat 20 litre bin (the size and shape I prefer) but it refuses to operate on the pedal and instead it is possible to chase it round in a complete circle before opening it with your fingers :evil: ...it wasn't cheap and I should probably take it back but it is sporting a big dent in the front of it now :oops:

So does anyone have any recommendations for a kitchen bin that will do the job properly without raising my blood pressure?

Thanks for reading....

Oh and Happy New Year!

x

I have the tall skinny branantia pedal bin, I had the squat one before that. Both work fine. Since moving, our new (ancient) kitchen has a bin that is essentially a rectangular bucket which fits on a frame with hook & is inside the cupboard (attached to door) under the sink. It fits an ordinary carrier bag. I think this is the best bin I have ever owned! The brabantia pedal bin is now used for cat biscuit storage...this does slightly confuse guests though! The squat bin now holds my chickens corn in the greenhouse!

When we get a new kitchen I think i will go for another integral bin as its conveniently out of the way!

I bought this bin earlier in the year and it's brilliant, but I see that its currently not in stock. I am able to recycle more than half my kitchen waste (tins, paper, plastic) and I wanted one that would hold both.

My SIL has a Simple Human bin which is good, but they seem expensive.

Thank you omleteers one and all for your thoughts and comments.

I agree that a swingy out bin is great, we had one before, but sadly no spare cupboards in this house in which to fit one.

I have a big old plastic curver bin for the recycling, so that is sorted...

I had one of those tall ones before our current Brabantia bin, and I hated emptying it .....the bag always seemed to split before you could get it out, because there's some sort of suction thing going on so you'd be gripping the inner with your knees whilst your expensive bin liner unpeeled, a bit like an unravelling jumper, and you ended up having to try to empty the expanding and escaping contents of your now tattered bin liner into another, which was also ridiculously narrow, because our dustbin men will only take bagged rubbish properly bagged from our wheelie bin grrrr........

Who'd have thought it could all be so difficult...?

I'll let you know if I find the perfect solution....I'm sure you'll all be waiting with bated breath!!

In the meantime, I wish you all a happy, healthy and peaceful 2014xxx

I have a stainless steel press top ( half circle) curver bin, had it simply ages , the best bin I have ever had. I can't remember its' litreage but it is thigh tall , easy to clean too .

I have a small barbantia in the bathroom which is good too but I prefer my curver.

With the ex we had one of those brabantias with the push top. (his choice as it was black and looked vaguely techy). It stood up to an awful lot of abuse for many years and I'd recommend it to anyone who could live with its looks.

I now have a tall, thin pedal brabantia which looks nice but is clunky and not terribly practical