The Dogmother

Biomedical degree - help and suggestions

Well, we've got to that stage in Rosie's education where her next steps are really important; she is taking her GCSEs this summer, and got all As and A*s in her mocks, soooo with a bit of revision, she ought to get through those OK. The hard part is her A level subject choices..... she is doing all 3 Sciences, Maths and Further Maths :shock::shock: we are well aware just how hard that will be, so the graft starts this September.

She wants to do a Biomedical degree, possibly to go into surgery in the future; this thrills my family, some of whom are medics (where did I go wrong? :oops: ) but what we need now are suggestions of/help with:

• Universities to look at for that degree - we will contact them to check that her A level choices are what they'd want, and also to see if they are doing 'taster sessions' for that course.

Has anyone here had a child who has done a 'Gapmedic' placement between the two years of their A levels? The school is suggesting this.

Is there anyone on Omlet who has connections (in addition to our family ones) in medicine, who can suggest people she should talk to for advice/placements? I am well aware that family members might just tell her what they want her to hear, and perhaps not give an unbiased view.

I wonder if anyone here is able to suggest anything that will help, or offer advice/experience.

Thanks in advance.

That's great, we haven't got to that stage yet but I had some info from our school re careers today and it included this:

EPOC Careers organises high quality careers conferences for students and have places available at the following events at University College London. These one day events are on a Saturday from 10 am till 4.30 pm.

Saturday 15 March

Improve Your Chances of Becoming a Lawyer

Saturday 29 March

Improve Your Chances of Becoming a Doctor

Full details including costs are available at www.epoc.org.uk . Approximate cost £89 per person.

Other people might have some free advice though!

Sounds like she is doing really well :)

I know a friend of ES studied medicine and before he was accepted he had to put in a lot of hours experience. He worked in a hospice and spent a year as a nursing assistant in a local hospital. I think you stand a much greater chance of being accepted if you can show varied work experience. This must be hard to do when you are studying to get the best possible grades too :?

I worked for 10 years in Leicester Medical School (and so I'm biased!!).

Places in league tables change virtually every year - so I wouldn't place too much emphasis on these.

Medical schools are highly regulated and I'm sure all provide an excellent education - it depends on where she feels comfortable.

I would suggest going to a couple of general open days to talk to staff, existing students to get a feel for some places.

eg.http://www2.le.ac.uk/study/open-days

You can ask all the 'silly' questions that you might not want to ask during a visit after you have applied.

Good Luck, H

Leicester also does medical biochemistry, medical genetics (Prof. Sir Alex Jeffreys discovered DNA fingerprinting) and other biology related courses.

Different medical schools (and other subjects) use different styles of teaching - eg. problem based learning as opposed to lectures, group work etc. Not many med schools still do real human dissection (Leicester does).

Need to think about what 'you' want - what suits 'your' style of learning.

Have you seen this site ?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=195

H

I don't have anything useful to add really, but have a friend who is just reaching the end of his medical degree, he got straight As in all his A-levels (he sat them before you could get A*s) but then so did everyone else on his course. As others have said, what counted for him in getting a place was work experience - he'd done lots of the less "glamorous" stuff - eg working with the elderly/in nursing homes etc and his own GP arranged a huge amount of work experience for him - not necessarily within that practice, but with contacts she had - so your own Dr might be able to help?

Good luck Rosie!

My best friend is a Consultant and studied at Liverpool, she was able to change her focus as the medical scope is so wide there. She wanted to work more with children and had a fascination for dentistry/maxiofacial (sp!) work (she's now an orthodontic consultant working predominately with children).

She got plenty of work experience on Saturday nights in Liverpool sorting out broken jaws whilst she was a junior doctor :lol:

Good luck to Rosie!

The head of sixth form and I are trying to talk her out of the further maths as the unis would prefer her to have 4 very good A levels rather than 5 mediocre ones and a frazzled student.

If she does just 4 subjects, then she will have time for her music and sport, both of which she'd like to take further.

Claire; I am encouraging her to look at unis further from home... it would do her good to be away and more independent.