freddie

Bit Blowy Out...

the winds been picking up here since midday at the moment I'm watching 2 groups of 3 of very tall conifers, about 12 - 15 feet higher than the houses and they must be moving 6 or 8 feet in any one direction ,it's the most they've moved all week

Yup, glad I got the space age Omlet cover on the cube - the tarps would have long gone! Just got the elgu set up yesterday and had the brilliant idea of putting plastic cover on before the rain started. Well it lasted all night and this morning ripped most of the plastic ties off! But at least it's been bright in between! Like the idea of the pheasant wanting to have a bit of dry and some company.

Just spoken to The Boy - they've been without power for 3 hours now :roll: the farm is right on top of The Chilterns, and surrounded by trees, so they get regular blackouts when it's windy. Luckily they keep a stock of candles in jam jars, but the heating has gone off.... the worst thing they ever did was to decommission the Rayburn :roll:

Yup, the top of one of our flues came off a few days ago and landed on the car port and made a hole in it.

Seemed like quite a fixable job, but our ladder is too short to reach to top of the chimney, our car port is made of sheets of corrugated plastic which are a different size to anything you can buy these days and OH is really struggling to cut the sheets as well - he is NOT happy (I would help, but he is in a bad mood now, so best left alone !)

I feel your pain Yvonne - we have a carport (London) and bits often blow off. Our neighbour has learnt to move her car when we have gales. My OH too a calm soul is reduced to a swearing demon when the carport moves.I havent told him a bit has moved over the garage yet for fear of a load of expletives. :silenced::shock: I will bide my time - I often get to hold the ladder a job I find boring to say the least. Probably we should start a "car port support group" :lol: especially for men.

Tee Hee, thanks Alis Girls - like the idea of a car port support group !

(OH is currently distracting himself by buying a range of heat guns, saws etc to try and cut the stuff - currently very quiet which is even more disconcerting than all the swearing !)

be afraid be very afraid :shock::lol: Always a worrying sign when the swearing stops - either they have

fallen off the ladder

admitted defeat and let the elements blow it away

gone down the pub

I will not be suggesting OH saws bits up. I have to admit we have no idea where to get spare panels etc from. Its an on going problem with this weather.

Well, the weekend ended on a fairly positive note, job now half done, but plenty more potential for it all to blow away again and swearing to recommence next weekend !

(You know, I even looked wistfully into the windows of an old folks home yesterday imagining how nice it would be to just sit eating mushy food and have someone else worry about house maintenance !!)

Hi Alis Girls,

Think I may need the car port support group again this weekend !

All was going OK until last night when the car port gate blew off its hinges and a bit of shed roof made a bid for freedom!

Another day, another storm.

Amazingly, all the things OH fixed last weekend are still in place (I probably should have more faith). Much mutterings are now underway, luckily we are meeting some friends for lunch tomorrow so that should be a bit of light relief from the constant wind and rain related tasks ! (Wish we weren't too old to emigrate to Oz !)

Hope all was well for you in last night's strong winds.

In all seriousness, we have been pretty lucky really compared to many over the last few weeks !