The Dogmother

Shoe/sandal help

Suggestions needed... Rosie's prom is looming, her dress (very elegant) is on order, and we need some suitable shoes or sandals. She is a size 4, has wide feet, but has my high instep, Rosie NEVER wears heels, so the heel will need to be low and blocky. The dress is a light silvery grey chiffon and floor length, so pale grey or silver will look good.

I haven't found and dance shops near here so we can look at satin stage shoes to get dyed, and the wedding shops just stock sky high gypsy weddings confections!

You can see the dress here, and click on the 3rd colour from the left on the bottom row to view it in platinum.

Thanks for all your suggestions, as a first 'draft', I have ordered these to see if they fit, but am still looking. She has something not dissimilar in black, so the style is OK with her.

Kitten heels are out I'm afraid as they are too narrow on the bottom of the heel; she has never worn heels of any sort and is usually to be found in trainers and running gear. Fit is hard as although she's taller than me (not hard!) and has long slim legs, her feet are wide at the toe end (think hobbit feet).

Still looking and shopping around, so suggestions still most welcome. :D

What a pity I don't have anything in silver, Clare, I'm a size 4 wider foot with a high instep :?

Have you tried the Shoe Tailor? I've had stuff from them in the past, and they do wide fitting shoes and boots with more sensible heels.

I've noticed a cute, flat, Mary Jane shoe in gold, but not silver, unfortunately :?

Also, Cotton Traders do sensible pretty shoes.

:)

Have you looked in Debenhams? They have two silver pumps http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_050010270897_-1 and http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_050010273197_-1

I know Hotter had a gorgeous 40s style pewter shoes with a fairly blocky heel. Can't see them on the website but may be available in store. I think they were called Valencia or something like that.

Edited to add these are the ones I was on about http://www.hottershoes.com/en/66444_valetta-extra-wide-shoes I love them and would love a pair in this pewter shade :D

Those shoes you have ordered look great, DM. Rosie's feet sound just like mine. I have wide feet at the toe end but narrow heels and a very high instep. My feet are also a half size, so I find it practically impossible to find shoes that fit :x I find Clarks shoes and M&S shoes fit the best for me, but both are very hit and miss with whether or not they actually have anything I like. I find a low heel more comfortable than completely flat shoes, but high heels absolutely kill me! Anything with a strap across the front of the shoe works well for me - I can't wear court shoes as my narrow heel slips straight out of the back of the shoe, but a strap across the top helps keep the shoe in place. An ankle strap (like the shoes you have picked) does the same job. Good luck finding some shoes - that dress is completely stunning! Could Rosie get away with wearing a flat ballet pump with that dress, do you think?

Well it's a long dress and who will see underneath - if Rosie wants to be a little rebel then I suggest nice and sturdy biker boots!

Seriously though the M&S shoes look nice and I remember having sandals years ago with a strap like that and they were the most comfy I ever had! Oh gosh I hate shoes! Being mostly in walking boots now, but when I wear "nice" shoes which generally resemble barges, I can't wait to kick them off!