bluekarin

Flea treatment for dogs

What do you guys use to treat your woofers for fleas? We currently use Frontline spot on on our cats and dog, but it doesn't seem to be working :( My friend uses Advocate on her dog and she says she has no fleas. I have also heard about Programe. What sort of price do you pay? I currently buy the Frontline from chemist direct as it is cheaper than the shops, but that in itself might be the problem and that it could be an old formula which is no longer effective.

Any help is hugely appreciated :D

Spoken to the vets who have suggested Comfortis tablets. Watched a gross video on YouTube of the after effects 45 mins after the tablet was taken. Loads of fleas trying to escape and all over this poor dogs face :vom: all dying I hasten to add. I have read some bad things about it, but not too much so will give it a try. Just need to get the cats sorted and the house and hopefully we will get on top of this before the warm weather arrives :pray:

I also found Frontline stopped working (and the cats always hated it, as I think I stung on application). I now use Effipro for both the dogs and the cats, which I bought from VetUK as the cheapest supplier at the time.

Tozi-cat is particularly sensitive to fleas and seems to do well with this, and they don't react as badly to being blobbed. They still all give me the " And you call this love?" face though :lol:

I will confess to being very lazy and not using anything :shock: I did get a few flea bites last year (me - not the dog!) but they were quickly zapped with thorough hoovering (twice daily) and steaming the carpets. I used to use Frontline but as others have said it does seem to have reduced effectiveness. Be aware that many other flea treatments are basically the same as Frontline (ie they are Fipronil based) so check the active ingredient before you buy as you may well be buying Frontline by any other name.

Advantage and Advocate are two popular alternatives. Advocate seems very popular at the moment with people getting worried about lungworm but I have heard about some animals reacting to it as it is quite a strong treatment. However, that is completely hearsay as I've not tried it myself and many also seem to use it successfully.

If you use Advantage, it doesn't cover ticks (you need Advantix for that) which is something else to be aware of.

About to go to the vets. Am a bit worried about giving her Comfortis as it seems to have some quite horrible side effects. Will probably go for the Advocate as it does the worming as well as the flea treatment. If that doesn't work then will try the pills. Wish I could do the same as you LB, but my poor YD is getting eaten! They seem to love her :(

Be aware that many other flea treatments are basically the same as Frontline (ie they are Fipronil based) so check the active ingredient before you buy as you may well be buying Frontline by any other name.

Just checked and the Effipro I use is exactly this :shock: . Don't know why this works and Frontline didn't, or why the cats don't hiss and grumble when being blobbed with Effipro, when there used to be lots of drama with Frontline. May be best not to ask, just be grateful for now ... :anxious:

Wish I could do the same as you LB, but my poor YD is getting eaten! They seem to love her :(

Yep, they love me too! I'm fairly sure I picked up a flea last summer which hopped directly onto me in a field. My leg was itching when I got home from the walk and throughout the rest of the afternoon the little beast made its way up my leg, feasting as it went :twisted: Hubby didn't pick up a single bite and I didn't see Tango scratching at all, nor could I find any flea dirt on her. I was being bitten for several days after, hence the hoovering and steaming regime, and my clothes went in a hot wash at the end of every day.

I did consider that it might be easier for me to have a flea treatment seeing as the little blighters weren't interested in biting the dog! :shock:

That was fun. A trip to the vets with one very excited dog and two none to impressed, wailing cats (new vet so needed them weighed). One cat was in the dogs crate (without dog btw!) and was almost climbing the walls to get out and the other was in a normal cat crate. Was very noisy but they are all treated with Advocate now. Just waiting for household spray to turn up and hopefully the little devils will be obliterated mwahah :wink:

There has been some press in dog circles recently that fleas have become resistant to Frontline, this happened with mine last year and I moved the dogs onto Advantix (I need the tick cover too as they hunt in hedgerows) and the cats onto Advocate. They all seem to be flea-free at the moment.

Please watch the cats with the dogs Advantix as its poisonous to cats and we made a decision not to use in a cat household if the cats lie near/with the dogs.

But it is great for ticks and fleas

After spending obscene amounts of money on Frontline etc over the years i stopped pre-treating my dogs and instead will solve the problem if it comes up.

To date,my Boxer got fleas couple years back (curiously the Mastiff didnt though) and i solved this my bathing them (i did both anyway) with standard medicated Vosene shampoo from Tesco.If you dont believe me with how effective this is try sniffing it and compare it to Bob Martins dog shampoo-both are the same.