Blackrocksrock

Another Sad one

One of my chickens was fine yesterday and lunch time today was a bit off colour and I noticed a wet behind - she had laid a rubbery lash and it was stuck to the feathers - not laid since December - had a big moult and was looking great - red comb and lovely feathers - then sat down and died within a couple of hours - I presume egg peritonitis and now I am down to one- they are 6 and half years old and have laid so well I cannot complain but I am now down to 1 hen! What to do now?

So sorry, it's awful when they have seemed to be in great health :( I lost two within a week of each other just recently and it came as a great surprise.

Don't really know what to suggest about your one remaining hen... I was almost in that position a couple of years ago as one of my remaining two girls seemed to be fading fast. I was worried about being left with a solo hen but managed some gradual introductions with 3 new girls and my ' weaker' girl lasted another six months.

It's a difficult decision to make...

Sending you hugs xx

We had a fun day - Black Rock Helga does not really like Hetty and Hatty - she flew at them but they were undeterred - lunch time hubby said they had not been bad all morning - I looked up from my soup at lunch time and lo and behold a chicken on the road in front of the house - just walked round the house - we had fun putting her back she promptly came back to the side of the garage and into a wooden box that is there and laid an egg in front of me! - then we had to get her back round. The other one laid in the nest box so two eggs today although the first one was a bit soft as I think she had been frightened to go into the nest with Helga around. Hopefully they will all settle down - they did not fly - hopped over the stuff to get round to the front - we put up a net now! Fun and games to follow me thinks

Well the hens have settled in well and after being on the road twice have never ventured there again - one was laying but banded cracked soft shelled eggs. Not good and still is laying them - the other one stopped laying but is laying again - lovely brown eggs but the trouble is we dont know which is which - have wormed them and they get limestone flour and they have shell and grit but I think its a further back problem and she will have to be destroyed unfortunately and we just have to find out who is laying which eggs - not good on 2 isa browns!