bluekarin

Raw diet for dogs

Not dogs, but cats still on raw food and Tozi still around more than three years on from being told he would have weeks to live :D.

Was it the right decision - oh yes! It's kep Tozi alive, allowed me to reduce Cleo's medication and all three cats have shiny thick coats. No bad breath and no more stinky poo - and Cleo could do stinky poo to Olympic level :vom:

Still on Honeys, which costs about £6-7 per kg and they get through roughly 0.5kg per day between three of them. Costs more to feed them than me, but they still got the good stuff even when money was tight :roll: .Honeys do quite a wide range and the cats have "out of season working dog" food which has no veg in it. Absolutely favourite flavour is rabbit, with lamb coming a close second.

Starve day? I hadn't heard of it and I don't think it would find any favour in my household :notalk:!

We put our shih tzu on a raw diet last June and she loves it. Prior to that she was eating what we thought was a good diet as the vet had recommended it, but it seems most vets don't know a lot about nutrition and what they do know is taught to them by the big kibble manufacturers, so their opinions are biased.

In the warmer months when Daisy can eat outside we feed her raw meaty bones like chicken breasts or thighs, lamb chops, chunks of heart or tripe and some offal. However as I don't like her dragging food around the house and she doesn't seem to get the idea of keeping her food in one place, we now feed her a BARF diet which is still raw but it's all minced up. The one we are using right now is called Nutriment and for our shih tzu it costs us about 50p a day which I think is quite cheap.

I've been feeding raw for nearly 2 years. A lot of info on the Internet makes it sound horribly complicated but it isn't. Dogmother was really helpful when I started and showed me how easy it is - she's been feeding raw for ages and knows everything there is to know! I don't do a starve day, Tango would probably eat me if I did that :lol:

For me it's really cheap, it reckon I spend £25 ish about every 3 months for Tango (11kg) but it depends where you can source meats from. The online raw suppliers vary in cost. I don't have any helpful butchers round here but I know some people do and can get all sorts for next to nothing. It's worth asking around. The prepackaged (complete) raw meals are fine until you find your feet, but very expensive. Sourcing meat yourself is much cheaper.

In terms of what you can feed, pretty much anything goes. The only real no-nos are large weight bearing bones that have the potential to break teeth :shock: so they should be avoided. Otherwise for bone meals you can feed chicken (legs, wings, carcass etc), ribs (pork/lamb), pig trotters, lamb spine/neck, whole rabbit or rabbit portions... You get the idea.

Meat wise I feed beef, green tripe, lamb, fish, lung, heart, rabbit, pheasant (the latter two tend to be what we 'find' out on our walks :lol: ) again, anything goes and the more variety the better.

I also chuck in some liver and kidney. Not too much or it tends to cause diarrhoea :vom: Start with small amounts of offal and build up from there.

An easy way to start working out how much of everything you need to feed is 80:10:10 - this is 80% meat, 10% bone and 10% offal. Don't forget your bones will be covered in meat so a bit of guesswork is required! If it helps, I usually feed 2 meals a day. Breakfast might be a chicken carcass portion and dinner will be boneless mince with maybe a bit of offal chucked on top. Total amount to feed is 2-3% of body weight per day as a starting point.

I hope that's helpful. Sorry it's a bit of an essay! Just trying to cover all bases :D Feel free to PM me if I can help with anything, or as I say, DM really knows her stuff too.

However as I don't like her dragging food around the house and she doesn't seem to get the idea of keeping her food in one place

:lol: Tango does this too. There's nothing like having raw meat wiped all over the floor is there? :lol::vom: I contain Tango in the kitchen while she eats then run over the floor with a steam mop. Seems to do the trick!

I feed my 2 on raw, and would never go back. The poo reduction is reason enough! :oops:

I don't think it's any more expensible than feeding a high quality dry food..... I use a local company called Paws Pantry and it's £1.49 per 450g tub. I defrost it as I need it.

Saffi our rescue Yorkie is brilliant on it as it's cleaned her teeth up so much that she no longer needs any dental cleaning. Both have wonderful coat and zero doggy breath!

I like the fact that I know exactly what is in it. I thought I would really struggle with it being a veggie :vom::vom::vom::vom: but even I can manage it. I think the bloodyness depends on the brand. I'd tried a few before this one but always managed without throwing up!

We feed 2-3% of their body weight....

Hi, following quickclucks recommendation, we started feeding Daisy and Annabel raw food a couple of months or more ago. Have to say they love it. We have used Natures Menu raw nuggets, minced meats, fruit and veg, and also Nutriment starter pack. Since they are Yorkies and dont eat too much I cant say its expensive but I guess if I had much larger hounds to feed I might think differently. As quickcluck says, big difference in poo dept and no doggy smells at all :D I do give them the odd treat day when they have some of their fav gently poached chicken with some veg but think I'll be sticking with raw for the most part. Axx

So off I went "to look" and found myself ordering the Nutriment starter pack for cats. I usually order 24kgs at once and Nutriment would work out nearly £50 per order cheaper than Honeys. As each order lasts 7-8 weeks, that's a significant saving over a year :D

All that remains is to see if Loki picky-paws will eat it. Cleo and Tozi (long-term shelter and street-cat respectively) will eat anything you put in front of them but Loki (couple of weeks in a shelter) has to have a good think about it first!

I'll let you know ...

It is something I am considering too.Is the prepared stuff vacuum sealed or frozen there doesn't seem to be any stockists here in N Ireland I like the idea of prepared initially.

Are there Pets at Home stores in NI? I imagine there are? Pets at Home stock freezers of raw products, which are good if you are starting out.

First time I gave Puddy-cat a raw chicken wing, she growled at it like a feral thing, before going under the coffee table and scoffing the lot! The other three just looked at theirs :roll:

My Nutriment cat starter pack arrived yesterday and I've left a chicken tub out to defrost today, so they can try it tomorrow. We'll see how it compares to Honey's in the Loki picky-paws taste trial.

So, being completely dim here....do dogs and cats not get salomonella poisoning if eating raw chicken? We are getting a puppy in the Summer and I am very pro raw feeding. I seem to remember feeding our jack Russell tripe over 30 years ago, but think :think: used to cook it, not sure though!