Lavenders_Blue

We've come a long way! :)

It was nearly three years ago that I went to a rescue centre and came home with Tango - described somewhat benignly as a "super terrier cross" but in fact a manic, totally untrained, slightly feral and rather highly strung little dog. I spent many a walk in the early days watching her sprint round in circles burning off pent up energy, watching as she disappeared off into the distance after wildlife (okay, so this still happens :oops: ), even coming home in tears on several occasions after she took a dislike to various people she met in the street.

Fastforward to last weekend and Tango and I entered our very first agility show! We started training for fun just over a year ago, when I decided an active brain needs occupying or it makes its own entertainment (mischief!). I never planned on entering any shows (apparently everyone says this though :lol: ).

If you're interested, here's a link to one of our runs. We entered three classes but I only have video of one. It's not the best run we did that day, but I am immensely proud of Tango. My aim was to get through the day without her biting the judge :shock: Not only did we achieve that, but you might even chuckle at the bit in the middle where she makes her introductions :roll::lol: Please excuse me waving my arms about like a mad woman, I think my technique may need a little refining :lol:

CLICKY

That's amazing! I always thought Tango was a much bigger dog! I think it's because she looks larger than life in your profile piccy and your descriptions of her. What a long way you have both come and you my post be very proud of both of your efforts. :clap: I did have a few problems trying to watch the video, might be because of my iPad, I don't know.

Thanks bluekarin, I really am so proud of her. Yes she is quite a titch really :lol: 11kg and about 17" to the shoulder. But she's definitely larger than life, a very good description!

Did the video keep timing out? I just tried it on my iPad too and I think the file is quite large so takes a while to load. Not sure what to do about that!

Managed to watch it now :D I think there was an internet problem here (too many people in the house using it) Well done Tango! I would love Neela to do something like this, but the nearest place is a drive away, and am don't drive :( I have been thinking of getting some stuff for the garden to try her with.

Ahh, that's a shame bluekarin. I have to drive 1/2 hr to the club I train at. There is actually a club just down the road from me but they are rather snooty and only interested in dogs and owners who are going to win them prizes, what a shame as everyone has to start somewhere! My instructor is lovely and we have a real motley (muttley? :lol: ) assortment of dogs at our club from chihuahuas, jack russells, cockerpoos, Labradors and mutts like Tango to of course border collies.

If you can't get to a club then I am sure Neela would love to have a go with some garden equipment. Most dogs really love it once they get the hang of it. Reward with lots of treats to start with, even for just going over one jump, then build it up. Soon the fun of running and jumping becomes rewarding in itself and the treat is just a bonus :lol: Tango was getting very cross when we went to the show as she got rather fed up with waiting her turn while all the other dogs had a go. She thought it should be her go every time! :lol:

She already loves jumping over things. In our local park there is a low metal railing around the car park and I get her to jump over that. Some bits are a bit higher and to begin with she wouldn't do it, but slowly she has got the confidence. She did however jump over one rail which went onto a back and landed chest first onto it! She was okay, and I did laugh, but she hasn't done it again :lol: I will keep an eye out for the poles and ramps etc I know she doesn't like going through things. We had a cardboard box which I opened up both ends and put it on the living room doorway. She eventually after a lot of treats and encouragement went through. Mainly after the cat went through and ate the first lot of treats :lol:

August 6th is her 'Official Birthday' (like the Queen :lol: ) and we will be celebrating that weekend with a birthday trip to the International Agility Festival at Rockingham Castle to spend a ridiculous amount of money on dog stuff that I never knew I needed, and to get Tango measured so that she can start competing in proper, grown up Kennel Club agility shows 8)

:lol: Lure coursing wasn't her greatest success was it? I wish the same would apply to wildlife coursing :roll:

Still, she seems to have found her niche with agility. I am sure she would be brilliant at flyball too, but I can't even begin to imagine how hyper it would send her. I'm not sure I'm prepared to find out. :shock::lol:

I can't imagine how she#d be on Flyball either - perhaps best to give it amiss. She's clever enough, like Ruby, but it woudl overload my one's senses.

:lol: Lure coursing wasn't her greatest success was it? I wish the same would apply to wildlife coursing :roll:

That was funny but at least she enjoyed herself - Cyrus is a lure failure too - he just hates the atmosphere and runs back to me when he's slipped.... but give him something live to chase and he's away!