Bramble

Lost a chuck yesterday ... what happened???

I'm gutted, feeling like a chicken murderer ... Little Blizzard had had sour crop (second of my chucks to go down with it this summer), I picked her up yesterday (she's used to being handled and not too unhappy about it), to massage her crop, she didn't struggle or seem to find it uncomfortable ... when I put her back down on the ground she started to flap her wings uncontrollably and within seconds she was dead ... I just can't believe it ... I've never lost a chuck like that, what on earth happened and what did I do wrong?

I'm seriously starting to doubt my chicken keeping abilities and wonder if I shouldn't rehome my other chucks with someone who'd look after them better than I evidently can ...

Oh no Bramble. How horrid for you.

I am afraid I can't offer any answers as I have not had any experience of sour crop but it seems like you did everything right. Did Little Buzzard have a fit or a heart attack that was just coincidence that it was as you put her down.

I do however disagree with you not being a good chicken mummy, from your caring posts it is clearly not true. You did what you could for your poor little chook. Sadly sometimes these things happen. At least she had had a cuddle just before.

Go and give your other chooks a treat, they are lucky to have a good caring person to look after them :D

Hugs from East Northants :D

Chrissie

That's such a sweet post, Purple, thank you so much, you've made me cry :oops::oops: (I was struggling not to before I read your post, so no chance afterwards!!!)

I'm pretty sure she must have had a heart attack ... I can't think that anything else could have killed her so quickly, I'm sure she was already dead when she was "flapping" - I could see her eyes had "gone" if you know what I mean, but I wonder if it was connected to sour crop or coincidence - I've now lost two chucks in as many months, both with sour crop at the heart of the problem, something which I've always treated quite successfully ...

Bramble that's so horrible. I feel so bad for you. But please don't beat yourself up about it - you obviously couldn't have known that was going to happen and you were doing the right thing to try and get Little Blizzard back to good health. If she went so quickly she wouldn't have suffered, and I know it doesn't make it any easier for you, but it was not bad for her. Please don't get rid of your other girls, if they went somewhere else it's very unlikely they'd be cared for as well as they are with you. We need a smiley for a big hug!

Oh bramble.....don't doubt yourself, I am sure it was just pure bad luck...we are chicken keepers not vets!! We don't know all the answers and all we can do is our best and if we do lose a girl after doing our best then what more could be done!!!

It is really sad and traumatic for you to see her go out like that but rather that than a long protracted illness where she is suffering. She died just after a cuddle from someone who loved her, what a lucky lady she was XX

Thank you everyone, you are too kind ... :cry:

I've got my somewhat diminished flock free ranging in the garden now ... I'm down to three now and seriously wondering whether to get any more (I usually have five or six at any one time) or whether to call it a day.

Until recently I was looking at getting a walk in run - not necessarily with a view to increasing numbers, just to make a bigger space for the chucks when they can't free range - in the space of two days I'm now wondering whether to just jack it all in. How can I have lost two girls with sour crop in such a short space of time - I've always treated it successfully before - I'm pretty sure Blizzard must have had a heart attack - I can't think of another reason why she would have died so suddenly, but even so, she was poorly because of the sour crop ...

I'm not going to rush into doing anything just yet, will see how it goes ... :(

I also have a somewhat diminishing flock too having lost two hens last week within four

days of each other, they both had a prolapse. I`ve had chickens for seven years and had never had

experience of this, very upsetting. The vet thought both had underlying health problems because they

were quite thin. I may well not have anymore hens either down to four now.

Because I dont drive I rely on a chap who runs a pet travel service to take me to the vet and what with the

vets charge it gets very expensive over £100 for the two visits.

Joy

Dear Bramble, I am so sorry to hear of your loss in such unexpected circumstances. I can only imagine that there must have been some underlying illness in your little hen for this to happen. Please dont feel responsible, no one is to blame. Please dont give up either. Over the years that you have been posting you have always shown a kindness which you apply to people, your dog and of course your hens. You have shown compassion to everyone who has problems, a compassion which is inborn and very clearly part of you. I hope in the next few days that you will accept that the loss of your hens is part of life and not a reason to give up. Wishing you happier hen times ahead.

smiley-hug008.gif

Bramble I hope I don't make you cry this time. Sorry for last time :D

Take your time to think about what you are going to do. I think a WIR is a great idea. You clearly love your chooks and have been unlucky recently. I think we all go through periods in our chicken keeping where things go wrong and when it happens once we cope quite well but when a couple of things happen close together we start to question things.

Don't rush into anything quickly. During the winter I could have easily got rid of all my chooks but the forum made me think things through more clearly and now I am so pleased that I didn't make a hasty decision as I would have regretted it if I had done.

Chrissie

Hello, thank you Joybelle, Sparkysmum and Purplemaniacs - sorry Purple - but you've made me cry again, I can't help it, I'm too gutted for words - I'm at work at the moment, fortunately no one else is here, so I've got time to get a grip, hopefully :oops::roll:

I'm not going to rush into anything, I'm just worried that losing two chucks so close together means something's not right with the girls generally. The three that remain seem fine, they had fun free ranging between the torrential rain storms yesterday and were in good voice this morning :roll: so I hope they're fine - but then so was Blizzard, apparently, until quite soon before she died.

Will just see how it goes :anxious: