Bramble

Think I've got red mite in my Cube ... help!!!

Shock, horror ... just been out to change all the bedding etc in the Cube. When I took the poo trays out there was what I can only describe as a pile of dust in one of them and the dust seemed to be moving :shock: further investigations revealed lots of little red bugs (I assume they are red mite, though they were bigger than somehow I expected red mite to be) There were also lots of small spiders around the dust (I assume they were feeding on the red mite ... it's too much to hope that the red mite were in fact baby spiders?).

Anyway, needless to say, I've hosed the cube out, COVERED everything with pink Total Mite Kill and left the roosting bars (also covered in TMK) out on the lawn to dry. The undersides of the roosting bars did seem to have some of the mites on them, so they've had a good blasting.

Does this sound like red mite? I've not seen them before, but didn't expect to find them sort of in the middle of the poo trays, I thought they'd be tucked away in the corners somewhere? I'm pretty sure there was no sign of them when I last took the poo trays out (on BH Monday).

Heeeelllllllllllppppppppppppppp!

Hi welcome to the dreaded redmite just keep doing what your doing every 5 days incase you've missed any or their eggs they breed super fast horrible little things .I use ficam w its very expensive but I have loads of wooden houses it leaves a coating and depending how well you spray can last up to 6 months also what have you done with your old bedding ? leanne :)

I was told to check with a piece of paper kitchen towel if it is red mite or not. You wipe the area, where you think they are and if they leave a red smear (blood...) on the kitchen towel, then it is red mite.

I have one of those sprays that leaves white residue on the surface. Have sprayed the whole inside of my Go as a precaution.

THanks both! I'm still recovering from the shock of finding red mite, never having had a problem with them before - where've they come from?

Anyway, I gather red mite don't like sunlight so left the roof off the Cube all day yesterday (when it was actually sunny!!!!), took the roosting bars and poo trays out and left them to bake in the sun, in the hope that will help a bit. Will stock up on Poultry Shield and Diatom (need more of both anyway) and keep fingers crossed it's a one off blip (which I know it won't be, but one can hope!!!!)

Thanks Leanne for prompting me about the used bedding ... I'd been asked by a friend to save used/pooey bedding for her compost heap, but I'm not saving this lot - it's gone into a sealed bag which will be going to the tip asap.

Leanne, Ficam (and Ficam W) is only licensed for use by professional pest controllers.

It should be used under very specific conditions because it may kill a wide range of insects. FERA have prosecuted pest controllers in the past for incorrect usage (it kills honey bees, amongst other insects).

I know that Olly but do you think im the only one in the chicken world using it and I don't generally go spraying it all over the place im very careful when using the stuff leanne :)

We are obliged to point out when things are not licensed for use on or around poultry in the UK. Omlet will not be held responsible when advice is given that breaks the law or is contrary to veterinary or drug company advice. Also, more inexperienced chicken keepers need to know that some remedies are absolutely not suitable for use around laying hens as the effect on the eggs is very much an unknown, and possibly dangerous quantity. :D.

~Ficam~

I know that Olly but do you think im the only one in the chicken world using it and I don't generally go spraying it all over the place im very careful when using the stuff leanne :)

We are obliged to point out when things are not licensed for use on or around poultry in the UK. Omlet will not be held responsible when advice is given that breaks the law or is contrary to veterinary or drug company advice. Also, more inexperienced chicken keepers need to know that some remedies are absolutely not suitable for use around laying hens as the effect on the eggs is very much an unknown, and possibly dangerous quantity. :D.

~Ficam~

Oh dear, I didn't mean to cause any trouble! Just for the record, I'm not going to use the Ficam - I hadn't heard of it, so did Google it after it was mentioned, but the descriptions etc scared me to death so I'm going to stick to TMK, Poultry Shield and Diatom. This is my first experience with Red Mite so am very grateful to you all for your advice and support (as always)

Thanks DM, as I type, the roosting bars are marinating in a thick coating of TMK in the sun!!!

Just one extra question, sorry to be dim - but I bought TMK concentrate at the weekend (it's a LOT cheaper than the ready to use stuff!) but it isn't pink? I'm not remotely worried what colour it is, provided it does as good a job as the ready to use stuff - does it?

It does, you need to dilute it 1 part in 10 of water - the instructions on the back are VERY small!!!! The ready to use spray is coloured to remind you to shake it before use; the concentrate will need to be shaken before you dilute it. There is a coating in the product that retains a residue of the active ingredient on the surface so that it continues to knock down the bugs... this is what separates out. :)

Good idea, thanks DM. So far I'm trying not to get TMK anywhere I don't want it to go (like on the chucks, one of whom INSISTS on helping/inspecting what I'm doing :roll: ) Watering can would certainly be quicker though (and less hard work than all that squeezing!!!)

Today's the first day since my initial discovery that there's been no sign of any RMs at all so I'm hoping that we might be winning the battle (if not the war) - not that I'm giving up on Operation-Red-Mite yet though!!!