sparkysmum

Plz help me find & choose special occasion dress

Help :!: My lovely neice is getting married in a few weeks time and I'm going to have to get out of my jeans for a day. Trouble is I dont shop No clue where to start looking . Money wise I dont want to pay a lot but will go a bit more than M&S prices but not £ooo's I know Debenhams does a "personal shopper" but I'm not that keen on their dresses. Do any of the other big stores do this as I really could do with a hand even finding my way around the "special occasion wear world :lol:

Happy to consider anything, oh and what is a bodycon dress :? Have never heard of this before. Totally cluless, thats me Thanks in advance :D Axx

I cannot remember the last time I wore a dress or skirt. I don't own any such thing and have worried about having to wear them again. I would feel awkward and self-conscious. You have to wear all sorts of kit underneath to make them look good.So I made a deal with myself that if I have to dress up I would wear a pretty fitted trouser suit. I have in my mind something kind of early 20th century with wide legged trousers and a neat little waist. I think that would be smart, feminine and appropriate and most importantly I would feel comfortable and be a happy guest.

Like you though I wouldn't know where to start looking. Google what you fancy for ideas I guess.

I'm not sure whereabouts you live but I really recommend the personal shopper service that most department stores offer - Debenhams and John Lewis for example. They will have access to all the franchises in the store as well as 'own brand' stuff and I've always found them really helpful in advising and offering suggestions.

I've used the John Lewis personal shopper service before and found it really good. You give a brief outline of what you are looking for, and your budget, and the shopper will bring things to your dressing room for you to try on. They are pretty good at finding styles to suit you. The John Lewis service is free, which is great. I don't know about Debenhams, but I would guess that is too.

You have to wear all sorts of kit underneath to make them look good.

So funny, patsylabrador :lol: I have seen long elastic underthings, items of torture I thought haha

I do like Coast so might have a look there and def like the idea of John Lewis personal shopper. Going to have a look on ebay too. Thanks for suggestions so far. Axx

I have just been looking for something to wear to my brothers wedding at the end of December in Chicago. I have found a few lovely ones on M&S, this one in particular

http://www.marksandspencer.com/slinky-multiway-dress/p/p22283275?mfPartNumber=T422339&carousel=ASPV_RR

which can be worn with the tie in several ways. Even though it doesn't show on each dress, there a a few colours. I particularly like the blue one and the sage one. I need to check what colour the bridesmaids will be wearing, just so I don't appear like one :lol: I am thinking of the blue with some red shoes and a sparkly shawl :D

When I was shopping for a special occasion day dress and a smart evening dress (I spend most of my time in a pair of jeans, I'm not sure I'd ever worn a long dress before) I did a lot of online looking and online shopping. I probably ordered about 10 dresses in all on different occasions and I did find the 2 I wanted. I knew/discovered which shapes and details suited me and I was ruthless about concentrating on them only so I didn't keep getting distracted. I found it easy to return stuff, using that courier service where you take the item back to somewhere convenient (like your local supermarket) and it gets sent back to wherever. I'm sorry I can't remember the name of it, and I'm not sure if its in Scotland, I found it remarkably stress free!

I used Next (I tried some very 'un-me' dresses from here in the privacy of my own home, and bought a complete bargain evening dress in a sale which cost £25 and which got me a lot of compliments. I am a complete advocate of soft, silky, draping like the M&S dress bluekarin has chosen. It covers a multitude of sins but is also very flattering) M&S, Debenhams (they have such a range) and Hobbs (pricey, but I did buy a day dress).

Other shops I've used in the past include LK Bennett (pricey so tend to wait for sale), Jigsaw (sale), Coast, Kaliko, Laura Ashley, Phase8 and Monsoon.

I've got a body con skirt and a dress - depending on your shape they can work a treat. They sometimes use colour blocking, so the main panel is often black (slimming) but with a coloured panel down the side (more interesting than all black, and also shaped defining, it gives you a silhouette).

Happy hunting!

I find it's much less stressful to go to a department store where they tend to group all the dressy stuff together, rather than trail round individual shops. I've had some success at Designers at Debenhams, and saw some nice dresses in the 'Occasions' section of Frasers in Glasgow. The dress I wore to my Stepdaughter's wedding was £24 from TK Maxx but that's a secret :shh: , and obviously I was lucky they had just the right thing in at the time :whistle: . I ended up paying £150 in Frasers for a jacket to match, but will be able to wear both items separately on other occasions.

ASOS appear to have skinny fit tartan trousers in.

Good luck with the dress hunting, I'm no help as have found a couple of nice bargains on ebay, and in charity shops over the years, usually separates which I feel more comfy in. I do agree with the shops mentioned though, whenever I find a really lovely item in a charity shop, it is generally one of those brands!

My only tip would be to go with what suits your figure type and what you are comfy in, then you are sorted :D