Luvachicken

The vet showed me a new trick the other day

When I took Suzie to the vets recently, he showed me how to hold a chicken and tip it so you could see their tummy and feet.

I thought I'd give it a go today and then place them on my lap one at a time.

Queenie was a model chicken lying comfortably on her back on my lap for a bit so I could look at her feet and check out her feathers, the others though were having none of it and although I tried a couple of times with each one I had to give up.

It will be a handy technique in the future though as you get to see their feet much better than trying to get their leg.

Mine roll around in the dirt on their backs so often, I don't think a minute or two on your lap would hurt them. A few days a go I found all three of them belly up underneath my blackberry bush, purring happily. They did trim the bush first though, else they couldn't catch any sun whilst having their dustbath... :wall::wall:

Reading all this somewhat bemused. Ours are picked up as normal and the head and neck tucked well under the armpit. The feet can be seen quite easily by moving them with the other hand. As for the stomach, simply turning them from one side to the other does the job. At no time have I ever tried to turn a chicken onto its back. Good job as well reading the posts, because I would be horrified if one suffocated. Which vet is this Luvachicken?

I put a picture on facebook of my son with an upside down chicken and one of his friends who has poultry said its illegal and gave the reason so I deleted it quick :oops: I do still turn them for checking feet, vent under legs etc (except for Budgie). I'd never hold them by the legs, I'm sure that may be what he was referring to. I hate to see it.

It's a good skill to have to be able to handle your chickens confidently. Thank you DM for the lesson all those years ago. :D

I certainly wouldn't recommend having them like that for any length of time; mine are just turned over for a quick inspection as Plum says. I'm sure it's not massively comfortable, but for a maximum of a minute, they seem fine.

When I used to work on battery rescues, the recognised way to evacuate the hens from the sheds was to carry two in each hand, upside down, by the ankles. It was a quick and efficient way to get them into crates with minimum damage and fuss... much like when kittens are carried in their mother's mouth, they immediately become docile.

When I used to work on battery rescues, the recognised way to evacuate the hens from the sheds was to carry two in each hand, upside down, by the ankles. It was a quick and efficient way to get them into crates with minimum damage and fuss... much like when kittens are carried in their mother's mouth, they immediately become docile.

Yes DM that's exactly what we do during the hen rescue's (I always feel embarrassed using the word rescue) we usually have two hens per hand, so four in total, like you say it's only done that way for speed and efficiency, the aim is to get the hens loaded and crated as quickly as possible.

Reading all this somewhat bemused. Ours are picked up as normal and the head and neck tucked well under the armpit. The feet can be seen quite easily by moving them with the other hand. As for the stomach, simply turning them from one side to the other does the job. At no time have I ever tried to turn a chicken onto its back. Good job as well reading the posts, because I would be horrified if one suffocated. Which vet is this Luvachicken?

The way you suggest Beantree is how I normally look at my girls' feet, but the vet suggested holding Suzie like that so he could look at both her feet easily.

I must admit I think my girls have very ticklish feet as they curl them up tight and hide them right up high. silly things :roll: