Leicester_H

Outrageous, rude cold call

We are registered with the TPS and I don’t usually answer phone when number is withheld, but OH’s sister is in hospital, so today I did. It went something like this.

21 Oct 3:06PM Phone rings

(Him) Mrs. X, we spoke last March and you mentioned that you might be considering upgrading your windows. Well you’re in luck as we have a special offer in Oadby at the moment, blah, blah, blah

(Me) I don’t recall speaking to you before.

(Him) Well no, actually it was your husband, Mr. X blah, blah, blah.

(Me) I don’t think he would have said that as we had ALL our windows replaced last year. (This is true – so I KNOW OH wouldn’t have said that)

(Him) …. who replaced the windows.

(Me) A local company

(Him) Which company

(Me) I don’t see why I should tell you

(Him) There’s no need to be ashamed that you can’t afford new windows and lie.

(Me) I’m not lying, you can come and look if you like

(Him) then tell me the company’s name

(Me) We’re very happy with the windows and so I don’t see why I should help a competitor

(Him) more stuff about being ashamed and lying

So I put the phone down.

I don’t know why he thought there was anyway I’d buy anything from him with that attitude!!!

OH had heard the tail end of the conversation

21 Oct 3:08PM Phone rings again, so OH picked it up- same man

(him) Mr X. you should tell your wife not to lie on the phone blah, blah, blah

(OH) please don’t ring this number again

OH put the phone down.

21 Oct 3:09PM Phone rings again, so we ignored it.

Our phones logs the exact time of the calls but they’re all “WITHHELD Private caller” – anyone know of anyway of reporting / complaining about this ?

Wow... The nerve!

In the Netherlands we have a register where you can put your number down and people then are not allowed to call you anymore. You can also put complaints there, but they only collect them and only in breeches of law etc they will gather the complaints and put them through to the right people.

I would call the company yourself and ask for the complaints department. If it is quite a big company, then they should be able to find out who called you and maybe take action.

I have done this in the past and the companies where generally glad that I brought this to their attention.

I didn't catch the company name (if he gave one - I don't think he did). His name was (supposedly) Martin.

We are on TPS list (just doubled checked it hadn't expired) so we shouldn't get cold calls.

OH is having radiotherapy at present - this means a trek to the local hospital EVERY week day for 7.5 weeks AND his sister has just had an operation (150 miles away) so I/we just do not need the extra hassle of rude cold calls at present.

H

What a rude man! No need for him to be like that at all.

You can actually phone your service provider and get them to find out for you. Tell them the time and date of the calls, and they can look them up. Also TPS service doest run out, though to be honest it doesn't seem to stop a lot of these calls :twisted: We have just paid Virgin to stop withheld number, but it would seem these don't stop calls from abroad :roll: so Mr or Ms Microsoft support technicians who keep advising us of non existent virus etc on our pcs can just keep on calling. Our next step will be to get rid of all landlines as they just are so annoying.

That's appalling. I had a similar call once back in the good all days when they told you where they were calling from so I was able to phone the manager straight back and complain. My oh once had a call from Bowater Zenith. He insisted on calling the caller "Bowater" throughout the call as in "Well Bowater I don't know how many windows I would like to replace. Let me just count them". Counts windows painfully slowly whilst caller holds on..... Then spent ime considering a time when it would be convenient for them to call (never) Eventually "Bowater" lost patience and rang off ! If I get phone calls I just tell them we are registered with TPS so it's an offence to call us. That usually gets rid of them. Oh would still prefer to waste as much of their time as possible if he's in the right mood :D

If they call again, get the name of his company and tell them your time is valuable, you will be charging £50 per call and If they call again they have accepted the contract and will be invoiced. Check they have understood you, and put the phone down.

Never had the guts to do this myself but it might work.

If they call again, get the name of his company and tell them your time is valuable, you will be charging £50 per call and If they call again they have accepted the contract and will be invoiced. Check they have understood you, and put the phone down.

Never had the guts to do this myself but it might work.

Oooh! That is a good idea! Next time Vodafone is at my door AGAIN I'm going to try this! :twisted:

I no longer have my home phone on - it is on permanent answer machine service & if I didn't need the BT line for Broadband, I wouldn't have one at all :?

I have an excellent call blocking app on my mobile called call Control, which means I can black anyone calling me just by pressing a button. You can even block all unknown numbers if you like 8)

There is also a spam directory so you can get all the numbers on that blocked too.

Happily no one ever bothers to come to our tiny village to cold call in person :lol:

Well I must admit I like a bit of fun when I haven't got anything better to do. But nasty phone calls are not nice. OH says send the cheque in the post to the address on their paperwork and we'll sign when it's in our hands if it's an insurance "settlement". Do not give your address.

Loved the murder one. :lol:

Interesting with regard to rented property - that's food for thought.

A few months ago there was a cold call but it was automated and it went on to answerphone and the electronic lady was carrying out a survey and left gaps for a response and then said thank you after each pause. It carried on like that till the answerphone cut the call off. I reckon they've had a rethink on that style.