SueChick

URGENT ADVICE ON ELDERBERRIES BEING EATEN

Sorry about the urgent bit but I am very worried.... we have two Elderberry trees that over-hang our garden and are just about to drop their purple/black little berries. Is it going to hurt the chicks if they eat these from the lawn? I read on the post that elderberry plants are poisonous - are the berries too??? Don't know what to do if they are.... how do you stop the chicks from eating what they want to or stop the berries coming in to the garden...

Please advise as soon as possible.....

Elderberries are common along forest roads throughout central Idaho. The leaves, stems, bark, and roots contain compounds that are strongly purgative and cyanide producing. Eating uncooked berries may cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Children can get sick from using hollow elder stems for peashooters or whistles. Elderberry flowers and fruits are edible when cooked and are commonly used to make wine and jelly. Elderberry stems and roots were used medicinally as an emetic by American Indians.

ive got some above my girls along with mile a minuet, they've been there for about 18 months plus and hasnt seemed to cause a problem...

xxxx

I think hens know what they mustn't eat.

If you are worried about the berries (I wouldn't be), why don't you make elderflower cordial? Wonderful stuff, easy to make, and once you have cut off all the flowers you won't get any berries!

In any case, elderberries don't usually drop to the ground: they form seeds and shrivel up on the branches.

We have literally thousands of berries every year down the lane. Last year I made elderberry jelly, fiddly to make (using a fork to strip the berries) but delish!!! I have orders to fulfil for this year! :roll:

Thanks for all of the above replies. The berries definitely do drop to the ground though. The kids look like the ribena gang if they walk on the lawn barefoot in late summer! I can't chop the tree down or cut off the berries because they are in the neighbours garden - they just drop into mine!

I think I saw Nugget eat a berry today so I guess I'll know one way or the other! Thanks for all the advice.