kinsk

Dogs ID chips and registration

I am really struggling with this.

We have three dogs :-

A 3 year old jack russell we were given last year, his previous owner had him chipped and we transfered the details into our name.

We got a JR puppy in April, she was chipped at the vets when they did her jabs, dogs trust were sponsering it so it was free and registered with another data base.

Our rottie puppy we got beginning of Sept. he was chipped by his breeder and the chip registered with yet another database.

I am trying to get all three transfered onto the same database so if anything happened we only have one number to ring but this is proving impossible, none of them are being particularly helpful, and they all seem to charge very different rates.

Another question - if there are so many different companies operating registration databases do vets etc. check with them all if a dog is found? or are they actually more co-ordinated than it would seem?

Well that's news to me. I always thought there was only one, Petlog which is who I have Neela registered with :? They probably don't want to loose pets from their database which is why they are being unhelpful. I am not sure what to suggest, sorry. I was just wondering if the chips were on different frequencies which is why you might not be able to change them to another database? I look forward to hearing how you go with this :)

I work in a vets - we phone pet log and they are the universal database people and will transfer the call to the microchip people for the animal found. We have even had overseas chips and found the owner. So no need to worry - we have used 3 different makes of chips and they will still be found no problem. Rest easy - your pets will be safe.

And don't forget to check that ID tags are up to date, with legible engraving and securely fitted to the collar (I check the split rings regularly as they can and do wear through). ID tags are the quickest and easiest way for dogs and owners to be reunited. That said, it's reassuring that the back up option (ie microchip) will work if needed!

Ask your vet to check the chips when they have their boosters (most will do this anyway), to check they are still working and still where they should be.

When we last took Kia, they couldn't find her chip at first and eventually located it near the front of her right shoulder :shock: . She now has an extra tab on her collar along with the usual "chipped" and name ones, saying "scan right shoulder".

Thanks for the info Blackrocksrock. My cats are registered with different companies and it's good to know it wouldn't be an issue - not that Cleo moves far enough from my bed to get lost :lol: .

Thanks for that blackrock.

They all have tags on their collars but collars can come off can't they.

Oh yes of course collars are not failsafe, hence why we also microchip our pets, I suppose it was just a reminder to check that all is up to date with tags as they are usually the quickest way to get a lost dog home. Plenty of people round here seem not to bother with collars and think that it's enough just to have their dog microchipped. I hope they never lose their dogs, as the likelihood of someone picking up the dog and taking it somewhere to be scanned is not nearly as high as someone calling a phone number on a tag, plus of course it's all so much more complicated and long winded. I am sure that Omleteers are far more sensible and law abiding than the local numpties round here :roll:

Mine are both shipped and tagged, they also wear a council tag - provided for free, this has an index number which is linked to their database. The council has a photo of each of my dogs, and all my contact details, so if either of them should ever stray, they will ring me straight away and the dog needn't go to the pound.