redhotchick

Ageing, unsteady and losing weight

My poor cat. I took her from a rescue centre 12 years ago, they told me she was 8, so we guess she is 20 now.

I know she won't live forever, she is still active and seems content. However, recently, she has started to lose weight. I've had her to the vet twice in 6 weeks. She has steroid and vitamin injections. After the first lot her appetite did increase and she put on weight. She now weighs less than ever though and we are working on building her up again.

Worryingly we are going away in 2 weeks for 3 weeks. If we were home we would be able to look after her and ensure she was comfortable and tempted with food multiple times a day.

My sisters and my dad will be in and out, but I feel it won't be enough.

Any advice on food or reliable care options would be gratefully received. x x

My cat had a tumour on her jaw and started to loose weight too. My mum and I decided that we would put her to sleep before a certain date, so we wouldn't put it off for ever and maybe let her suffer without us knowing.

Because the end was near so to speak, I gave her anything she would eat. Cows milk, bacon, ham, anything she would beg for. She had a great last few weeks.

When we finally brought her to the vets, it turned out that she also developed tumours on her liver and an abcess in her mouth and it was a good thing that we put her to sleep.

I would seriously consider making a decision, when enough is enough. Cats hide a lot of pain and discomfort.

In the meantime, just feed her anything that she will go for. But tuna, chicken and raw beef are good enticers. Also white fish like alaska pollock is a nice meal. You can cook it in the microwave and if you add a bit of water, she also gets a lot of fluids in.

Good luck with your elderly lady!

She's a really old lady isn't she. I have moved one of my elderly cats on to a higher protein content food. If you look at the back of the tin or packet most well-known brand cat foods have very little meat in them. less than 10% and they have a lot of cereal content. (This seems to suit my other cat who has tummy troubles, but Wellington will eat it with gusto and then sick it up almost immediately. :roll: )

Currently he's on HiLife which is 50% fish, but previously I have bought Bozita, recommended by SpaceChick, which I buy online. If she is only eating a small amount, it might be better to have more protein in the food.

I sympathise, I have ended up with two geriatric cats and it's a bit depressing at times.

Has she been tested for diabetes? My gorgeous diabetic ginger Tozi was about you cat's age when it was eventually time to have him PTS, so you have my sympathy - it is a very hard thing to come to terms with.

Food-wise, I would give her anything and everything she wants. At her age, it's not going to do her any harm. Tozi's very favourite thing was roast chicken and, towards the end, I'm sure he got more of my Sunday lunch than I did :lol: !

All the very best with your OAP.

You have my deepest sympathies, its heartbreaking when they get to be so old and infirm, but 20 is a very good age indeed, our first old boy made it to be 20 and I think of him very fondly as having had an excellent life. Another oldster developed thyroid problems and lived for a couple of years happily on tablets, but I found him dead one day aged 14. My last old boy (also 14) was losing weight over a period of time, but still seemed very happy and active, eating select goodies (tuna and chicken in his case) until the summer when a lump was found, which started to grow. He got thinner and thinner, and my very good friend who was taking care of him whilst I was away in Portugal, took him to the vet to be PTS. It was the right decision, but I just wanted to say that I still feel guilty at the fact that she had to do it, not me. This is because 18 months earlier I'd taken this cat's sister to be PTS for a build up of fluid around the lungs and heart, which she coped with well for a month whilst on steroids, but as soon as the meds stopped she regressed, and it was one of the most upsetting things I have ever done.

I would just say please think carefully about whether it is time to call it day, and if it isn't, then think carefully about what you might feel like, should the worst come to the worst, and you weren't around. I really don't mean to guilt-trip you, I truly understand what its like, but you don't want to reproach yourself on top of grief.

In the meantime I would echo what everyone else says - try to tempt your old girl with whatever it is she likes to eat most :D

Because the post was in the nesting box i was going to cry "GP and soon". I have 2 11 year old pussies - one is active but very needy mentally and wants to be held all the time. The other is fat and lazy and hard to motivate. If she was human she would be a couch potato. I dont know if you have any good cat sitters round there someone who could spend a bit more time with her. Or try your vet - some vet nurses occ take on animals with special needs for a small fee. One of ours did - and was prepared to do bunnies. Hope you get it sorted. Ali x

Hi, thanks for your replies. I'm managing to get a little bit of food into her. She will eat an egg with some double cream over the course of a day, a little at a time. (She seems to tolerate dairy, I know a lot of cats don'tI) I'm opening pouch over pouch, she licks the gravy off, maybe eats a little bit, and the rest gets thrown away. She does like to eat my dinner with me. Tonight we had beef. I have another appt at the vet on Saturday. My sister has offered to mind her, and I've been given the nr of a cattery that might be able to look after her.She can still jump around, and purrs almost as much as ever. My partner and I have talked about PTS. It doesn't seem the time, but she does need lots of care. I understand cats can fade quickly. I will listen to my vet on Saturday. None of this would be an issue if we weren't going away, but cancelling doesn't seem a viable option.

You have my sympathy. I had a cat who was 17 when she died - towards the end she used to try to run away all the time and neighbours would bring her back, usually finding her sleeping in a hedge somewhere. She eventually died in her sleep but I think she was running away to die. In hindsight it would have been kinder to have had her pts.

Your cat might be at the same stage and her instinct is to stop eating so that she just fades away. You can do no more than you are doing. Plenty of cuddles and treats when she wants them.

If she is happy in herself, and you've got someone who doesn't mind feeding her a rather unusual diet, then I'd go ahead as long as you're prepared for the fact that her time might come while you're away.

I always tell my cat-sitter that if anything happens she is to act as if it were her own cat, and I will never criticise the decision she takes. Admittedly mine aren't quite as old as yours, but they have had some emergency vet admissions in recent years.

If she's still got quality of life then - in your shoes - I wouldn't want to hasten the end. Go on holiday, enjoy yourselves and what will happen will happen, as long as your sister/the cattery understand the position.

I have a sad but inevitable update. Tigi was listless this morning, not a happy cat. We were due at the vets for blood tests anyway today. The blood tests confirmed that nothing could be done. I held her while she was pts. She weighed so little, she had almost faded away. I am missing her, but it was certainly her time to go today.

Hello all, we got two rescue cats in January. Six months on and they are settling down, a bit! They are young and lively and affectionate. They have their "mad half hour" chasing round the house and wake us up early for cuddles and breakfast. They are nearly two years old now and very sweet x

Great news :D

We got two cats of a similar age not long after losing our 19 year old Toffee, it is stance at first having active lively cats, but ours soon fell in lazy ways, they are now 10 years old so middle aged, it takes a long time for rescue cats to settle and learn to trust again, but it is so rewarding when they do :D