patsylabrador

Christmas Presents

I've been doing biggish gifts for both my parents. But only one gift a year or something. I buy them something useful they like, use and wouldn't buy themselves because of the costs involved. Takes away loads of stress! Only one gift a year to ponder about.

Bought my dad a waterpump for his allotment, that works on gas as he doesn't have electricity. Lasted me a birthday, two christmasses and fathers day!

And he loved it!

I'm not in the least bit crafty or creative but I am quite good on computers so I decided to make a DVD of a Powerpoint presentation for my half-sister and her family of all our photographs from when I first met them (I first met my birth family in 2003) and every time we've got together since then. I had good fun putting music to it and adding comments, speech bubbles and animations.

I did a similar thing for my ex-sister-in-law of all the times my kids and hers have got together since they were all born.

I got a kath kidtson day bag in dark blue, a bottle of J'adore absolute , and a twin set of pearls and earings.

OH said pearls need valuing and it is also my anniversary present .

Loads of nice things to nibble on including marmite choccie yummmm and slippers.

OH got an IOU as he wants a new fitbit , but it isn't on the market yet, we have pre ordered but I gave him an IOU till it is released. He wants the surge HR.

I asked for no presents this year. The local radio station had an appeal going for gifts for children that wouldn't be visited by father Christmas :( . At one point they had more children than gifts :( I asked family to make a donation to the appeal rather than buy me presents. Best christmas present I could be given. Had a lovely day with my lovely family and lovely food :) I hope that a child or children somewhere locally managed to have a lovely day too with a pressie from Father Christmas.

Didn't miss not having presents to open. I will be asking for the same this year.

We decided to replace some hifi equipment this year for Christmas and OH's 50th coming up in a few weeks. We now have a new CD player and amplifier and I have a lovely set of glove like over ear headphones. :D

Having said this I would be in favour of a charity donation in lieu of presents, there is so much unnecessary tat in the shops at Christmas, I am sure that the same things get circulated year after year through the charity shops too as a result, which is a good thing for them.

I also get very stressed about buying gifts particularly for my very fussy and critical husband. He realises that he is like this hence the recent purchases and decision to take a holiday instead of having gifts for his birthday, just the stress of agreeing on what to do now :roll:

Ali that's a beautiful thing. Actually more like the true meaning of Christmas.

My penfriend sent me a diy paper Christmas tree because he knows the trouble I have with OH and no decorations. DD bought me a quilt book (he knows me so well). DS bought me lots of little things which I liked. Nothing from hubby as per agreement. But it looks like he has decided what to spend the money on that my MIL gave me - pool it with his to get a vacuum sealer. Am not impressed, although a vacuum sealer looks really good! I have plans for my MIL's present and it'll be for meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. I know I bad mouth her a lot but that was a very generous gift this year! So I give her a reprieve for a while.

Sorry to buck the trend and possibly come across all capitalist/commercial, but I love buying, giving and receiving presents. I understand the stress some people feel about the as OH hates it (I sympathise with you Valkyrie because he also hates Christmas and decorations etc. whereas I love it), but in my family (there are only 4 of us plus mine and sisters partners) a lot of thought always goes into gifts which are nearly always needed or useful but lovely things. I like the fact that it makes me really think about the person I'm buying / making for.

The new girl at OH's work comes from a very big family and each year travels back to Ireland with just one present. As there are around 42 of them at the gathering of that clan they decided it was impossible to get umpteen gifts so they do a secret santa and the limit is £20 or thereabouts. It saves carrying armfuls of gifts and with only the one present it won't break the bank. And then there's the opening of gifts when 42 people concerned could take all night! :lol: