northybaby

Chicken feels fat and walking with legs quiet far apart

this sounds strange but I have noticed one chicken is standing with her legs quiet far apart. I've given her a feels and she feels quiet fat and squidgy. Is this something to worry about? She is not laying but seems fine otherwise. Has she just got a bit plump or could something be wrong? Thanks

I'm afraid that sounds like peritonitis - the 'John Wayne' walk is a classic sign. There is no cure, you may get a vet to drain the fluid but it's likely to return and (in my opinion - others have different views) it is just putting off the inevitable.

Does she feel hot to the touch too?

Olly is right, there's no cure but I was one of the lucky ones - one of my girls was treated, it never recurred and she lived to a good age. Depends if you have a local vet who is good with chickens, I suppose.

If it is infected peritonitis, then they will usually be cured (if treated soon enough) with a dose of antibiotics, although they may not lay again. Sterile peritonitis isn't curable, you can have her drained, but as Olly has said.... it is a one way street as this type is often caused by a liver tumour.

It is a tumour :( vet drained a lot of fluid off and as she seems fine and is eating we can keep her till she goes downhill. I want to spoil her while shes here. What are good special treats? I have been giving them a baked potato warm on the very chilly mornings. Poor girl

I'd stick to her normal food.

Watch for when she starts to pant and look blue in the face when she sits down, that's her time to go.

That's exactly what happened when my girl was diagnosed with EP....I tried having the fluid drained several times, had an implant fitted but she only lasted a few weeks. I wouldn't go down that route again, she was my first and favourite girl and I wanted to give her every chance.

Vets bill total for her alone was around £300, next time I will make a donation to BHWT instead

There is a rare condition called 'water belly' which results in the abdomen filling with fluid. We had one such case in a Cream Legbar. She had a swollen abdomen which wasn't hot or unduly hard and was otherwise happy, but didn't lay, so we left her. Several months on and one morning I removed two dustpans of wet bedding from under her perch. Next morning I removed another one and her abdominal swelling had gone. She started laying a few weeks later and lived another 5 years. So maybe it's that Northybaby? Did the vet take an X-ray to confirm the presence of a tumour?

thanks for all your replies. She is still going strong. She has been very perky actually. I took her to get drained again but I know soon that wont be possible anymore. Still at the moment she is comfortable and seems happy. Got another very ill chicken thou that went downhill over night. think her time has come