sleepymummy

Cat poo. I'm going crazy.

I really need some good, practical advise. My neighbour's cat(s) use my front lawn as their toilet. They poo right in the middle, they don't try to hide it. It is definitely cat poo as I have seen them do it. My lawn isn't fenced, all our front gardens are open, as it were. I have no plant borders as I am no gardener (much to my mother's dismay!) and I have 3 children who like to play out there with all their friends. I keep the grass as short as I can - not easy in the winter.

I have been using Cat-a-pult spray and have those metal cat cutouts with marble eyes which I move around. They have stopped working now. I have a dog now so at least they've stopped pooing in the back garden.

HELP ME BEFORE I GO INSANE!

Sorry I have no advice as suffer from the same problem. I am moving next month so would like to rid the garden of the cats for the new house owner.

I may resort to borrowing my sisters Patterdale terrier for a few days.

Feed it!

No method works as well in deterring a cat as feeding it in that spot. Just a few bits of kibble will do. Cats are clean in the sense that they don't poo where they eat. And they won't poo at home (where they eat) when they have other options (aka your lawn).

The only downside is, that you might have a cat that wants to live in your house.... :roll: Red, my neighbours cat, used to poo in my garden too. I started feeding him, and no more poo.

Other option is a water pistol. If you catch him/her in the act, give it a good spray. It will deter the cat too, but you have to catch it in the act.

Sorry I have no advice as suffer from the same problem. I am moving next month so would like to rid the garden of the cats for the new house owner.

I may resort to borrowing my sisters Patterdale terrier for a few days.

My own cat acts as guard cat. She is really protective of the house and garden, but sadly not as fast or athletic as others.

Oh, feeding it. That is a very good idea. I hadn't thought of that. I can't catch them at it as I think they do it mostly at night. Right, I'm off to pick it up (ugh), cut the grass and spread food around! They won't want to move in as they hate my dog! She's 8 months old and wants to play with them!

I agree that it might not be wise for a cat with medical problems being fed different food. On the other hand, the owner is taking that risk themselves. If the cat shouldn't eat other things, than it shouldn't be let out. Cats will find food anywhere or snack on mice etc. That wouldn't be good for a cat with medical issues too.

If the owner is willing to take that risk, it's their responsibility.

Good luck - my parents have terrible trouble with their neighbours' cats fouling their gardens and haven't yet found a solution. They've tried everything from water pistols, repellent granules, ultrasonic cat scarers - you name it, they've tried it and the wretched animals still keep pooing everywhere :evil: Their immediate next door neighbours have two cats who are the worst offenders, they use a patch of grass in my parents' front garden adjacent to the neighbours' house. The neighbours had the audacity to call environmental health and complain about cat poo in my parents' front garden saying it was a health hazard :shock: Suffice to say my parents were not best pleased, especially as they have always owned dogs and therefore had to clean up after them. Not sure there is an answer.

Any cat poo in my garden gets returned to the owners garden. It may not be neatly arranged in a pile but I don't see why I should dispose of it in my bin. But only when I'm sure which culprit did the deed. Usually in my veg patch and in the stones by my front door - lots of Jeyes Fluid down there. Stinks but it keeps them off for a while and it is better smelling than poo. :evil: