LittleLau

Rehoming question

Apologies if this rambles a bit.

There is a chance I may have to re home my girls due to noise (nothing set in stone, just trying to be prepared if it comes to it)

I live on a modern housing estate where everyone is on top of one another, and is very quiet during the day when most are at work/school. My girls are noisy at times, not all day, but they certainly have their moments. But long story short, a neighbour has commented on the noise. Plenty of other noises like kids/cars etc, but I guess the sound of chickens is not something people are used to hearing so it's more noticeable.

I will do everything I can to avoid having to re home, but I'm not sure I am even legally allowed to keep chickens in my garden, so I'm just trying to be prepared Incase the comment turns into something more.

I know rehoming on here is a no no, but the thought of taking them back to where I bought them from, or a rehoming centre where I will have no idea what will happen to them makes me feel a bit ill.

Has anyone had to re home chickens? And if so where to?

Hopefully I won't come to it, but thanks in advance for any replies.

You could check your house deeds to see if there is a clause about not keeping poultry. If not then it would be up to neighbour to get environmental health involved. I am not sure the noise of a few chickens would reach the decibel level they would need to have them 'evicted'. Though I am sure you don't want to go down the hostilities path as it makes for unpleasantness. Can you have a chat and see what they think? Perhaps it's not as bad as you think. I have seen people rehoming chickens,coop etc on gumtree.

If there is background noise it is highly unlikely your hens will be loud enough to warrant a noise nuisance complaint LittleLau. Some people just don't like certain noises and it has nothing to do with level. I don't like barking dogs and noisy motorbikes.

We have taken in chickens before. One was a chronic allergy to them, one was after a fox attack and the last was a noise nuisance Court Order (Wyandotte cock). I certainly wouldn't take them back where they came from. They are likely to be put in a pen with others with no proper introductions and injured in the ensuing pecking order squabble. You could try Preloved, but you would need to make the coop, run and chickens the attractively priced package. You can of course inspect their new home first.

I understand how you feel, if my neighbours objected I would have to rehome and I too live in a terraced house. I would sit it out and not panic too much at the moment, it's probably more noticeable With the warm weather,longer days, open windows etc.... If worst comes to worse pop a post on here to see if anyone knows anyone/anywhere when you know for sure what you want to do.

Thanks everyone.

Think it will have to be a wait and see situation. The noise is actually reduced a lot at the moment, as 2 of my 3 have decided to go broody again, and are spending more time in the eglu.

Hopefully the comment won't turn into a complaint, but I'll do what I can to keep them occupied in the hope of keeping the noise down as much as possible, and take it from there.

Well unfortunately it does seem that I have to do something regarding the girls. We have had a complaint, and to be honest, the worry about the noise is causing a lot of stress at home.

Having to run out and shh them every 10 times a day, especially at weekends when my husband is at home is causing a bit of a drain.

The main culprit is my number one hen Maude, though she's not the only one. If I were to rehome only maude, do you think the other two would quieten down, or when they establish who's boss, will the new top chicken assume the role of noisy girl?

It's been a stressful few months, but I want to do what's right for everyone. If rehoming one will bring peace, then great, but id rather rehome all three together than then rehome the other two after if it's still a problem.

Many thanks for any seasoned advice.

Hi LittleLau

I live in an old terraced house, city living & my chooks do half belt it out at times. I've had nothing but pleasant comments from the neighbours, they enjoy hearing & watching them over the fence.So I'm thinking does this neighbour of yours just happen to be a miserable begger?

As advised, I'd check your lease/house deeds and see if chickens are prohibited before being pushed into a decision.

Personally, I'd stick to my guns, some people are born bullies and if you give in to their demands, they'll be back with yet another complaint and expect you to fall into line. However I appreciate not everyone can do this and... I don't have to live next to them!!

I know all chooks are different but I have two Wyandotte bantams and the only time they make noise is to do the egg song - the pekins are much worse.

Can I ask what your set up is? I'm wondering whether more space or more to occupy them might help.

I agree with chooksRcute about the neighbours, but I know what it's like when something like this causes friction in a relationship so I can understand why you need to do something about it.

What did they complain about, general background noise or early mornings?

If its early morning you could keep them in until 8, maybe 9 at the weekend. As the days get shorter for winter they will naturally get up later so hopefully that will help too.

Do you have a cover on your run? That may contain some of the noise as could a few strategically grown plants on the complainers side of the fence like the do on the motorways :lol:

Do any of your neighbours have dogs or children? If there is other background noise I don't think they really have a complaint.

I'd go with the other suggestion of sweetening them up with a box of eggs - if they have children invite them round to meet the girls :D

Thank you everyone.

The noise isn't really early morning, its general noise throughout the day. On a good day I don't hear a peep, on a bad day, it can be on and off all day. She must like like the sound of her own voice.

Neighbours do have some noise of their own, children etc, but generally its very quiet around here. When most are at work and school it's almost silent (except for the girls) lol. I think one of the main problems is that it's just not a noise that most people are used to hearing so it stands out.

It isn't just the neighbours though, like I said it is causing stress at home too. I really don't want to not have chickens, so I am going to rehome Maude (I have someone to take her) and hope that sorts the issue.

At the weekend, I am also going to try and make sure there is plenty to keep the other two occupied, and see if there's anything else I can add to their run to keep them busy.

Thanks again everyone