quickcluck

Premium bonds anyone?

Hi guys,

I've had an ISA mature, and now I am wondering what to do as the interest rates are pants at the moment :?

Someone suggested Premium bonds as there is no risk of losing money, and obviously there is the hope of a small payout every now and then...

Any one got any thoughts on what I should be thinking about?

Thanks

K

The best win we had was a while ago and we won 5 separate envelopes on the same day.

It was so long ago that it was when the prizes were £50 so we won £250 :dance:

Mind you, a couple of days ago I won £25 and the following day I won another £25 :dance:

Most times we don't win much at all but the money is safe and can't be dipped in to like in the bank.

You can also have the winnings put straight back into the premium bonds.

I have LOTS of Premium bonds so my chances are high of a win. I generally win £25-£75 a month, I once won £500 which was lovely.

My daughter only has a couple of thousands in pounds and has only won £200 in all the years she has had them.

I look at it as a lottery ticket where I can get the ticket price refunded if I want to.

There are no guarantees but as you say interest rates are just pitiful.

I have £500 bought about 7/8 years ago. So far I have won 3 lots of £25 which, as hubs pointed out, is probably about the interest that would have been payable. However, as others have said, its risk free and you may be in for a nice surprise at some stage! Seems like a good move in the current economic climate 8)

Take a look on Moneysavingexpert.com - Martin Lewis sets out the real rate of return and why he doesn't think they are a good investment.

However, I have some because I like the idea that one day, we could all be milliomaires, Rodney ... :lol:

I reckon I win about £50-75 each year in £25 prizes, which I reinvest. The PB money is my 'hip replacement' fund as I once told a friend! If I needed to I could cash it in with no risk and no penalties.

One of the £1m winners this month was a female, in East Sussex, who bought her bonds in 2002. Tick, tick, tick :D

Obviously that wasn't me :lol: but we do win several times a year - mostly just £25 though. I use it as treat money :D Its a bit of fun, interest rates are so low, why not?

Just wondering, how many do people who say they have them actually have?

They are £100 each aren't they?

Thinking of buying some more possibly, as they might give a better return than my ISA!

EDIT: Just looked into this & the return on £1000 worth of Bonds is a bit less than the interest on my ISA.

My ISA won't ever award me a million though, so its still tempting!

Edited by Guest

You can only buy them in £100 units now, Soapdragon. I think you can buy a smaller amount if you do it by regular monthly instalments.

I looked into buying some as a christening present and decided that was a bit higher than my budget! I still have two £1 one's given to me by my grandfather. I had never seen a certificate for them, but they matched them up to my account when I registered some years ago.