Scaredyhen

Ex-batt or posh bird?

Hello,

I posted on Sunday after losing one of my girls to someone's dog :( One of my brahmas was also seriously injured but is recovering well so far.

We will be getting another hen once the brahma is fully recovered and back with the other two full time, so a good few weeks to go yet. I'm debating whether to get an ex batt or another posh bird? I have two Partridge Brahmas and a Wheaten Maran. I love the idea of an ex batt, but someone I work with introduced one to an established flock and it pecked one of the original birds to death overnight! She thought it best to only get ex batts when you are getting a few as a group together.

Would introducing just one to my posh ladies be a bad idea? Either from her point of view or my current girls....

Introducing just one of any breed is not usually recommended as they usually get picked on by the established flock. I'm not saying it's impossible as I've done so but it takes time and it helps to have extra space available. In your situation I would stick with your remaining 3 until numbers reduce naturally/you get more run space and you can introduce at least 2 at a time.

I think that's the right decision scaredyhen. I can understand your son might be upset but it'd be worse if he got a new hen only for her tone mercilessly bullied. I agree with all others. Stick with three for now and then introduce a pair when the time comes.

Fingers crossed for Mother Gothel (intrigued by he name!) now :)

I've add one pullet to my mob a couple of times with very little bulling but they were my own hatchlings that had been running around with a broody from a couple of days old so were more or less clued up to the politics of the mob so know who can be a friend and who any foe

I wouldn't add a single hen to them from outside it's hard enough adding 2 outsiders

I've just sprayed her bum with iodine and put her out for her first roam with the other two. They have been 'visiting' her in her crate and she spent a couple of hours in the run (in her crate) with them this morning. Elsa gave her a good peck on the head to remind her who is boss but that was all the squabbling done and they're just having a mooch about.

I gently told my son that we may be able to get another just yet and he seemed to accept that. I'll bet I get talked into some stick insects instead!

Mother Gothel is the wicked witch from the Disney film Tangled - Rapunzel's "mother'! There is a brilliant song that she sings about Mother knowing best and I sing it to the kids all the time. The Hens arrived on Mothers Day last year so it seemed apt :)

I've tried different methods. It's important to have lots of food and water stations and high perches if you can.

I have bought a chicken that looked exactly like the one that died and just popped it in, they didn't notice.

I buil a run within the run using a covered cat litter tray for bed time. Eventually removing one side. The noses old girls go in and don't really notice the new girl because they've already seen her through the cage.

I let the chickens free range whilst the new one was in the run

:lol: I suppose half the battle is that they don't look unfamiliar!

I have successfully introduced a single hen, it's the same process as any introduction but you have to take it really slowly. Personally the work involved in having separate runs etc wouldn't be worth it for me for just one hen.

And I wouldn't get a posh bird or an ex-batt - this is just my personal opinion, give me a good sturdy hybrid any day!

I'm very tempted by a Bluebell I have to say.

Good news is, MG is back out with the others and doing really well. The other excellent news is that my husband has agreed to extend the run space, meaning MOREHENS!!!! Whoop Whoop!

Hoping to get him building and then getting some new girls during the Easter hols, when we are around to referee a little :dance:

Opinions please!

Based on looks, character description and what is available from my two local reputable suppliers I am narrowed down to a few hybrids. A Bluebell is a definite and I can get one from either place. Then I fancied a Black Rock/Rhode but these are all reserved now and I would have to wait until April before the next batch arrive. I really wanted to try and get the newcomers for Easter as we are off to do refereeing if needed so that idea seems out. My other options are a Skyline/cream legbar or a speckledy Sussex......

Can anyone put a case forward for one vs the other or throw another into the mix? I know I'll be happy with whoever we end up with but I am enjoying browsing for potentials! Ideally I want a good layer, friendly and unlikely to go broody - I have two Partridge Brahmas for that already :roll:

First world problems!

I honestly think one is as good as the other, it really depends on the individual hen. I have two Skylines and they are good layers, if rather nervous birds; I had a Speckledy which lived to 7 or so and was full of character; but you could get a very grumpy one or a flighty one in any breed. Most hybrids are bred to be prolific layers and not go broody, I'd just pick birds you like the look of.

My skyline is now my top chicken, she lays blue eggs and likes to take the winter months off - it must be good for her, she's about 5 yrs old now. I also have a speckled sussex and she is a friendly bird, she's still young and at point of lay (I can get her to crouch but no little eggs from her yet). My other sussexes are/have been light sussex (white ones) and reverse sussex (a black hybrid version) and they have been friendly birds, good layers and with lots of personality!

I recommend both - sorry that doesn't help you much!

Depending on your available space a Sussex tends to be a big bird as I believe bluebelles are too, a skyline tends to be a medium sized bird.