Justadmin

Which breed to choose?

Hi all.

Husband and I are very excited to be getting 2 hens at Easter and work is well under way on their coop and run (a converted 6x4 shed). We're after birds which are friendly, docile pets who enjoy sitting on laps and being stroked first, then productive egg layers second. Oh should also mention they will be allowed to free range in the (small) garden at the weekends when we are in.

We were convinced on getting pekin bantams, they seemed ideal due to a) being friendly, b) not better suited to small gardens and c) not being so destructive in the garden (I like my garden but I'm prepared to put up with a bit of mess that I can tidy up after them)

However, I'm reading more and more stories of how broody these hens are. I don't want to be forever lifting them off of nests, getting pecked in the process and having to keep them caged up on dog cages to break their broodyness, it sounds stressful for me and the chickens!

Can anybody offer any anecdotes about Pekins or can anyone recommend other breeds which would suit our situation? I know rangers are meant to be the absolute best starter chicken but there are so many choices I don't know what to think any more!

Many thanks from an excited chicken owner to be,

Matthew

Hi Justadmin first of all could I suggest getting 3 ,if something happens to 1 then you are left with a lone hen which can then be tricky to find a chum for. I have silkies and millefleurs bantams and they are terribly broody and not great layers. My most fav and best layer is my ex batt she likes/ tolerates being held on lap. Having hens for some 3 years in my experience they are not terribly cuddly but will put up with being held. I would say the little brown hen is the best if you want a good supply of eggs.

Welcome to the forum and the world of chicken keeping!

I agree with Grandmahazzie. 3 hens is what I started with.

I have a tiny garden and they are allowed to roam the garden when home, but they are little destroyers. My bantams are about the size of Pekins (don't go broody as often though as some). Most of the people here will agree with me that chickens can do quite some damage to a garden. Mine are restricted to the pavement.

Some breeds will be easier than others, but there are no guarantees in what you get in individual hens. Getting quite young hens, might make it easier to get friendly with them.

Hello Justadmin. Welcome to the forum and the world of crazy chicken ladies and gents :D (apologies to anyone who doesn't consider themselves as such and may be offended!)

First / new chooks - very exciting!

I've had my girls for 18 months now. I have 2 Wyanotte bantams who were 18 months old when I got them, and 2 Pekins who I got at 10 weeks. I never intended to have Pekins, but they were so cute I couldn't resist!

Anyway, of the two pekins, Bernadette started to lay at approx 6 months old at the beginning of September. She then laid roughly every other day until mid December when she stopped for winter. Shelley didn't start to lay until after her first winter at about 11 months old, but then laid every other day.

Bernie has been broody 2 or 3 times. Each time 3 days and nights in the broody cage has sorted her out. So far Shelley has never been broody.

As they're the only pekins I've ever had I can't comment on whether this is typical, but my pekins are no more or less broody than my Wyandotte bantams.

I would say that the Pekins are lovely though. They're much friendlier than the Wyandottes (although I've always assumed this is because I got them at a younger age) and are endlessly entertaining :D They do dig a bit given the chance but nowhere near as 'successfully' as the Wyandottes!

Good luck choosing - oh and I agree with the others - get at least 3 :D

Get Three PURE BRED Rhode Island Reds, I was about to say get three Colombian black tail, they are good layers and very sweet, I have two of them, but as we speak one of them is a proud mother of 3 one week old chicks, she got broody. "They aren't supposed to be".

I have 5 pekins and I love them to pieces :D

They really are the sweetest little chickens I've had and they are now the only chickens I would have again.

Mine particularly like sitting on my lap for cuddles and they chatter a lot.

The broodiness isn't a big problem really unless you are desperate for eggs.

A small dog crate can fit in the run, and as Mullethunter says, 3 days and 3 nights usually sorts them out.

Mine don't get to go in the garden so I don't know how destructive they can be.

One thing they do get is little mud balls between their toes which need to be removed if they can't do it themselves other than that they are perfect little bundles of fluff :D

Out of all my girls, my Colombian blacktails are the friendliest. Not had one go broody yet, but they're only just a year old. They are also fantastic layers. White stars are really good too. You can mix big girls and small ones. I've got/had hybrid bantams that have never gone broody.

It is best to get 3 though.

Good luck :D

Welcome to the forums :D

We've always had Pekins and love them, some go broody regularly and others never have. At the moment we have Doris the Lavender and a trio of Chocolate Pekins.

I agree three is a good number in case something happens to one, you're not left with a lone hen.

I'm going to throw a curve ball and suggest you get three different breeds; a Pekin, a Wyandotte and a Sussex or Welsummer bantam :D

Mm good choice. I've got a light Sussex bantam called Clara. In her day she was a fantastic layer. Bit broody, but not too bad. Massive character. She still makes me laugh. Will not go to bed, every night I have to put her away. I've got a really pretty Wyandotte, she's her sidekick, she's a really good layer. Not gone broody yet. Also have a full size Wellsummer, very chilled. Not the best layer, but beautiful dark brown eggs when she does. Never gone broody :D

Hello and welcome !

I also have 2 pekins within my little flock of 7 hens. They are lovely little characters but last year they were ever so broody. Hardly an egg all summer. broodiness seemed to be a constant battle. Would you not consider ex batts? Lovely ladies, friendly and good layers. Whatever you choose, you will want more, so be prepared!

Best wishes, Ax

Thanks for the replies everyone and for the welcomes! So many breeds to choose from, I'm overwhelmed (in a good way)!

I think after considering the options we are going to steer away from the Pekins. I love the sound of their fluffiness and friendliness, but I do worry about the broody aspect. And although eggs aren't a massive concern we would like some eggs (if for no other reason then as bribes to keep the neighbours sweet haha).

So I'm thinking of keeping it simple to begin with and sticking with hybrid rangers (the gingernuts, although every site seems to have a slightly different name for them.) All the websites I've looked on seem to agree that they are friendly, docile and terrific egg layers who rarely go broody. On another, slightly weirder and more scientific side, I have an interest in palaeontology and I'm fascinated by the studies that say the humble chicken is the closest descendant to the T-Rex, and if you look at a ranger and squint a bit you can see a bit of a dinosaur resemblance.....sort of.....

Less than four weeks until chicken collection day, I'd better get moving on finishing the house!

Thanks for your help again.

How fantastic, good choice.... We started with similar well 2 ginger nuts and 2 miss pepperpots, all fab chickens and no broodies. I think chickens are most definitely similar to dinosaurs, you can see it when they walk with their necks, gait and general demeanour ( not that I've ever seen dinosaurs walk in real life :lol: ). Good luck with your chicken purchasing, where are you in the country? My first lot were from Omlet and we're all really lovely lovely chickens so I would recommend them if you are in their delivery area. Nearly 6 years on, I keep thinking about getting the next lot from Omlet, though my local supplier is good too.

Thanks! Yes there is definitely something dinosaur-ish about them, especially because of recent discoveries that show a lot of smaller dinosaurs like velociraptor had feathers.

I wanted to get them from Omlet actually as I've heard such good reviews but I think you can only get the birds delivered if you are buying an omlet coop/run? Which we're not.....

Unless you can pick up from their HQ, we live in Staines and Oxfordshire is only an hour and a bit away on the motorway. Don't mind travelling a bit for a guarantee of good birds!

Yes, me too....I've spoken to Omlet and they are happy for me to collect. We live in deepest Surrey, my husband could collect them on the way back from a work appt, or we could make a day of it.... I'm thinking of doing that next time. They were all such great birds, now sadly departed. Though I do like my 2 new speckledies, Tom and Jerry, but their eggs are smaller and ideally I need larger eggs for baking. FYI when Omlet delivered to me, my 4 chickens arrived in 2 animal carriers, the wire ones you get for cats etc....if you haven't got that, a secure box would be fine with air holes of course. I've always covered our animal carrier in a towel too to avoid distressing them any more than need be.

Much as I love my littl'uns and would only ever have bantams (or possibly small light breed LF) whilst my chickens are in the garden, I think hybrids are probably a good choice for your first chooks.

Enjoy all the excitement to come - look forward to reading all about it and seeing photos :D