soapdragon

Hate, Hate, HATE my varifocals!

On 9/14/2016 at 5:10 PM, soapdragon said:

I posted on the forum some time ago to ask about people's experience of varifocals as I knew I'd have to go down that route sooner or later. Its later and I have. Picked them up today and they are horrible; I feel I have wasted £180.00. I went to Boots Opticians and opted for the gold ones. I had hoped that I'd put them on and be able to see properly but not so. My distance is 20/20 so no probs there but it was the inability to read anything close up (oven temps, washing machine dial, labels in shops etc) that prompted me to finally get glasses. Now everything seems blurry and I can't see anything properly; I feel so upset that I could cry! I can't even seem to get the computer screen in proper vision. The optician who tested me was the owner of the franchise and well experience and I did feel that I trusted her...she said I could continue with the 2.00 reading glasses but I didn't feel that was practical and that I needed something that I could wear all the time rather than scrabbling around for glasses every time I needed to look at ANYTHING close up.

Is this normal and everything will suddenly, miraculously be fine or do I need to go back and see the optician?

I bought my first varifocals in September 2020 it's now February 2021 and they have got no better. I still struggle to read and work on the computer, I have to keep resorting back to my old glasses. After I had the glasses about a month I returned back to Boots and questioned if the glasses were done correctly. They checked the glasses and said that they were aligned properly and that it will just take time to get used to them! I've tried believe me I've tried to get used to them but when you can't see properly there is something amiss. Mine cost me nearly £300 and I feel I have been conned! I'm having the same problems you are having and it's not improving. 

I am going to return to Booths tomorrow and if they don't do anything about it I will report them to trading standards as it is not as item as described!, they are causing me distress as well as hurting my neck and back trying to position my head to try and read. Surely this can't be right? I really feel ripped off as they convinced me to buy the varifocals instead of my regular glasses and said that they would be amazing as I will be able to see near and far much better and with ease??!! what a joke!

This is interesting,

I was offered varifocals too, just the other day.

I turned them down because hubby had had some and didn't get on with them - he got his money back, and then one of the ladies I work with had some, and they also made her feel sick and dizzy. These things really put me off.

I was conned before for buying driving glasses that would help me see in the dark - I've never worn them once. I don't actually drive that much and because I can't see very well in the dark, driving or otherwise, hubby tends to drive. Now I need close up glasses and distance glasses so recycled my frames to have the new lenses put in.

It still cost me £220 😮 

An expensive afternoon out.

11 minutes ago, Luvachicken said:

This is interesting,

I was offered varifocals too, just the other day.

I turned them down because hubby had had some and didn't get on with them - he got his money back, and then one of the ladies I work with had some, and they also made her feel sick and dizzy. These things really put me off.

I was conned before for buying driving glasses that would help me see in the dark - I've never worn them once. I don't actually drive that much and because I can't see very well in the dark, driving or otherwise, hubby tends to drive. Now I need close up glasses and distance glasses so recycled my frames to have the new lenses put in.

It still cost me £220 😮 

An expensive afternoon out.

My mom has varifocal lenses. She likes them a lot. 

I had my eyes re tested about a year ago and decided to get new glasses from a local, independant supplier; the Boots branch didn't seem terribly happy about me exiting clutching my new prescription and did try to persuade me to purchase from them but I stuck to my guns. The chap that I got the new ones from is not a testing optician but is qualified. I can't say I love them but they are better then the Boots ones. The field of vision is better as is the quality; because Julian is independant he doesn't have a tie in and can use several suppliers depending on what he feels will best suit. So still not in love with my varifocals but def learning to live with them and glad I didn't go with the Boots ones. 

• Like 1

I feel your pain with them A; I have glasses for close work, which I wear on top of my head when not using them. A friend suggested  that I try varifocals and counselled patience in getting used to them. I went to Vision Express rather than my usual independent optician, only because they were cheaper.

Had a terrible time with the varifocals, to the point of staggering around and falling over. I went back and asked them to check and change the sweet spots... still vile, so I got my money back and went back to my reading glasses/hair accessories.

• Like 1

Hi, SD, I use varifocals and you have to get every thing correct or they will never be comfortable. First I get Pantoscopic (which gives me the medium area of vision). Tilt 10-12. (which is very important. Looking through them always point your nose at what you want to see and don't try and look out the side or the bottom of the glasses always move your head only. Were you point your nose is what you see. Keep them on for a full two weeks and if they are still not suitable take them back. Also ask them to wright down the information so you know what you want next time you need glasses. I go to Specsavers as they are more reasonable. Remember the staff are shop keepers and don't all know everything. The person I liked and was good at her job is the one I always ask for, they tell me they are all the same, Take it from me they are not. Good luck Peter 

• Thanks 1

Had varifocals for three years now. Still not got used to them. They’re okay when I’m shopping but can’t wear them in the house as all the walls seem to close in on me and certainly couldn’t read a book. Finally gone back to single vision but that means four pairs of glasses, as I wanted sun glasses as well.