soapdragon

Hate, Hate, HATE my varifocals!

I posted on the forum some time ago to ask about people's experience of varifocals as I knew I'd have to go down that route sooner or later. Its later and I have. Picked them up today and they are horrible; I feel I have wasted £180.00. I went to Boots Opticians and opted for the gold ones. I had hoped that I'd put them on and be able to see properly but not so. My distance is 20/20 so no probs there but it was the inability to read anything close up (oven temps, washing machine dial, labels in shops etc) that prompted me to finally get glasses. Now everything seems blurry and I can't see anything properly; I feel so upset that I could cry! I can't even seem to get the computer screen in proper vision. The optician who tested me was the owner of the franchise and well experience and I did feel that I trusted her...she said I could continue with the 2.00 reading glasses but I didn't feel that was practical and that I needed something that I could wear all the time rather than scrabbling around for glasses every time I needed to look at ANYTHING close up.

Is this normal and everything will suddenly, miraculously be fine or do I need to go back and see the optician?

Pretty much echos my first pair, which went back as Specsavers said that if you didn't get on with them, you could change them FOC (at the time). Second try was more successful, and I've been wearing them ever since. They aren't perfect ,but it is a lot better than having two pairs.

Do give them a week at least before you decide, though. You will take a while to adapt as you need to get used to looking through a certain part of the lens depending on how far away you are looking. It's not easy at first, but you need to move your head more - particularly for side to side. Up and down is more done with eye movement as closer objects tend to be lower.

Give them another couple of days DOn't forget, you need to move your head up and down/look through differeent parts of the lens for different distances. If you still aren't getting on with them, then go back to the opticians for advice.

I get on fine with my varifocals, but I had the best quality lens that was then available which meant that the transition from normal specs to varifocals was easier. I did find a bit of difficulty reading music, so when my prescription needed changing I asked her about this. They did something slightly different to the lens (widened some angle or other)., and it's really helped.

It might be they just need to do an adjustment on yours.

Go back to the optician, because that doesn't sound right and I don't think they will improve with time.

My experience has been very good and I have had no problems with mine from the first time I wore them. I go to an independent optician and their optometrist spends ages measuring the frames I've chosen, working out where my eye is in relation to the frame and so on. I don't have to move my head when I'm wearing them, the lens is in the right position for my eye. WitchHazel mentions reading music, and that is the only time I have ever noticed any variation in focus - I think it's because when I'm singing I hold the music at a distance at which you wouldn't usually read print. I'm really sorry that you're having these problems, I really think it's down to the measuring and prescription.

I too could never get on with varifocals and also got very very frustrated with having to put specs on and off every few minutes.

What I now have is specs which are 'computer distance'. This actually means they work from about 2ft away to a long way away. The only place they don't work is *really* close up and distance.

This means I can wear them bimbling around the house with no problem - I can read, do housework, go on the computer - all the stuff I do. I can walk around in them, but wouldn't want to 'go for a walk' in them, if that makes sense.

My distance vision is fine and if I want to do close up reading I have cheap reading glasses (for reading in bed where I tend to fall asleep with them on and squish them) or roper prescription reading specs (which I almost never use)

I am sooooo pleased with my Specsavers computer specs! Something like that might be a worthwhile compromise for you?

Something else I have learned as I've been getting used to 'middle aged eyes' - shoving your specs on your head is a good way of getting them out of your way - whatever the optician says about this being bad for them.This is what I do all day at work where I need to wear them most of the time in classrooms etc, but want them 'off' to look at students etc. So specs that have the little bobbly nose things (whatever they are called) are no good because they get tangled in my hair and yank it out (ouch). Specs on chains are annoying. So now I buy specs in a smooth design I can shove on my head when needed. This way I am making peace with my ageing eyeballs :lol:

Go back and make sure they get them right, my first pair were terrible but my latest pair I went back the next day and they adjusted the angle of the arms so that they sat in the right place for me to read. The measurements have to be spot on. I do find that varifocals are odd in dusk lighting conditions, I don't like to drive at that time of night.

I got mine within the last year and really struggled to adapt.

What I would say is that my optician went out of his way to ensure the centre point was correct and that I could see forward before I left, and down to read. That I could do. However walking around or moving made me feel sick and dizzy. I had to really take my time to go downstairs or walk along a street both felt very odd and I really didn't like it. I was advised to persevere for a few weeks and that it can take some time to get used to. I think it took a couple of weeks and now it is second nature.

So I think if everything feels odd to you then maybe there is a problem. If however it's just some bits of vision or the movement like me then maybe it is just getting used to it. It took time for me and others I know.

I got a pair earlier this year and one eye was horribly blurry. I was told to give it time but I knew I'd never adjust to that. I was proved right, the optician had put a '-' instead of '+' so no wonder it was blurry!

I got them remade and I really like them now. Having said that I only wear them for watching telly and occasionally looking down at my phone etc - I'm not sure how I'd manage wearing them all the time.

Thank you so much, everyone, for sharing your experiences! I have been so busy since collecting the glasses on Wednesday afternoon that I have not had time to call the opticians (tho I did wear the glasses shopping yesterday which was mortifying as I kept stumbling......I am sure people thought I was under the influence!!!!) so I will call them tomorrow and see what they say.....tho I suspect I will be told to persevere for a while yet! However, if things have not improved by mid next week (ie; a week) I'll put my foot down!

I 'phoned today and am going back to see a dispensing optician on Wednesday to check the angle etc; they agreed that things shouldn't be going sideways! I seem to have to waggle my head so much to get to see various distances correctly; I feel like I ought to be one of those nodding dogs sitting on someone's parcel shelf.

I was also able to change mine FOC. It makes you think that there must be an awful lot of us that don't get on with them which is why they are so willing to change them for you.

Was chatting with mum who always loved her varifocals but she doesn't have them anymore. Main reason is that the frames are much smaller and so they don't work so well. I think if you had Sue Pollard or Janet Street Porter frames then it would probably be fine!

My reading glasses now have sort of varying lengths - computer distance to really close up fingers in front of your face distance - great for sewing and threading poxy little needles . . . eye - where's the eye? It hasn't got one, must be faulty batch! Specs on and oh there it is and tadaaaaaaaaaaaa done. :lol:

Mine are quite big and round; kind of tortoise shell Harry Potter...the opiotician (as YS calls her) suggested as big as possible to get the full advantage from the graduation. I wore them shopping again this week and only stumbled a few times! They have offered to change for plain reading glasses if I really can't do with them but, quite frankly, I am fine with Poundland readers and had wanted varis so as not to have to keep delving in my bag for readers every time I wanted to look at something small; the boys were getting fed up with reading labels for me in shops :oops:

I hate my glasses (not varifocals) I look like a big blond owl and I frighten small children. I have big eyes anyway so they look owlish - sadly I am not wise - ditsey and blond most of the time. I have tried disposable lens but cant get dam things in - I dont want to go back when the scarey optician is there (hes very tall large - lovely but he scares me) yes I am a wuss. The result was I ended up with one lens in for a week and didnt realise till it dropped out. Lucky not to get and infection. I loiter outside shop to see if the nice East European lady is there and if she is I will pop in and pore out my tail of woe. What am I like 54 and scared of an optician. :lol:

I went back to see the dispensing optician (who, I gather, is different from the testing optician!) today and she checked the alignment of the glasses and fit and said that was all OK. She did mention that there was an allowance made in the lens for a slight astigmatism which she thought might be causing the 'tilting' and so I have to go back next week for an appt with the testing optician to see what she thinks. But my head is all over the place just to try and get things closer to me in proper focus! The dispensing one says she might be able to get me a discount if I upgrade from gold to platinum or, if I just cannot get on with them, they will give me a refund.

Frustrations! :wall:

Went back to have my eyes re tested today and am within .25 of the original test (means nothing to me!) so they have agreed to upgrade me FOC from gold standard to platinum in the hope that will do the trick (I think the field of vision is a bit wider...its Boots anyway if anyone has those?)

Hoping they will be ready next week! Otherwise they promise me a refund and I will go back to the Jenni Murray look with my Poundland specs!