Couperwife

I Quit Sugar

Morning.

Being a new year / new you sort of thing, I was considering going back to Slimming World as I have put a bit of weight on recently. But I've been looking into quitting sugar.

There is an 8 week plan where you reduce sugar in your diet then start to cook using non processed foods.

Has anyone else ever followed it before, its a bit like the Paleo style diet I think.

I will post some recipes as we come across good ones.

Todays breakfast is:

Bacon and egg muffins.

line a muffin tray with a piece of bacon (back seems to work better than streaky, but use what you like)

crack an egg into the bacon cup.

crumble a bit of cheese on the top (feta works best, but we used chedder today)

15 minutes in the oven at 200deg.

eat (better when not totally set :D:drool: )

these are really handy for break time snacks

Cathy

x

Yes I had done this pre Christmas. I did Plenish one day fast then onto no processed,no dairy. I felt I didn't snack at all because no fluctuations in blood sugar.Plenish is very pricey and you could prob make own but for me it gives me the kick I need to start. I lapsed over Christmas :oops: but aim to start soon. I felt much more energetic and knee joints less achy.

We did the 8 week blood sugar diet pre Christmas and both lost impressive amounts of weight. OH did it in the hope of reversing his type 2 diabetes and I supported him to lose weight. We intended to eat relatively normally over Christmas but then both got terrible flu on Boxing Day so eating pretty much stopped all together :( . We are back eating mostly carb free OH's blood sugar had spiked while he has been ill and he has eaten some forbidden stuff. We are still hopeful of beating his diabetes but his blood sugar levels were very high. We both felt so much better on a low carb sugar free diet. I doubt that I will eat bread in any great quality again. He can't eat bread because it spikes his blood sugar more than biscuits or chocolate :shock: . The odd few chips are our only carb treat, but literally a few.

Best of luck with the diet, there seems to be rapidly increasing evidence that too many carbs and sugar are the worst foods to eat from a health and weight perspective

I spent all Summer holiday trying to eat less sugar and allowed myself a treat on Sundays.

It worked well and I most have lost something as I can get my rings on and off better and my trousers were loose.

Christmas is hard because there are so many naughty things around and working in a school I did get extra naughties.

I'm trying to limit my sugar intake and will try to reduce my bread too - difficult when there is often cake in the staff room.

Good luck everybody for your various diets :D

Decided that 1st of Jan isn't the right day to start (or stop :wink: ) something as I had a whole week of holiday after and being at home makes things much harder. Work starts tomorrow again and will pay attention to what I eat again. Decided to make banana pancakes tonight so have enough sugar for the rest of the week.... :shock::shh::whistle:

By going both sugar a largely carb free my OH has lost 3st since November & I have lost 1.5 stone. Well worth it :D

Keep up the good work :D

good grief - thats amazing!!!! :clap::clap::clap:

i'm keeping on it. (definitely now!!)

week one and 2 you cut down, week 3 you go onto no sugar mode full steam ahead. :shock::D:D

Cathy

x

By going both sugar a largely carb free my OH has lost 3st since November & I have lost 1.5 stone. Well worth it :D

Keep up the good work :D

good grief - thats amazing!!!! :clap::clap::clap:

i'm keeping on it. (definitely now!!)

week one and 2 you cut down, week 3 you go onto no sugar mode full steam ahead. :shock::D:D

Cathy

x

We are walking about 4 miles a day too. We live just under 2 miles from where we work and we take a stroll at lunchtime and after evening meal which keeps your metabolism up and helps regulate your blood sugar.

OH has been more strict than I have because he was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in November and had been doing Michael Mosley's 8 week blood sugar diet. His blood sugars are still too high but are going in the right direction :D

How is sugar free life?

We are still low carb and I am now lighter than I have been for 20 years, I feel so happy and healthy. I would recommend it to anyone. We eat loads of vegetables, use our spiralizer a lot, the best pasta substitutes for us has been spiraized mouli radish but we also spiralize courgette, carrot, celeriac etc.

You don't need to stop eating all carbs we did initially when we were eating less than 1000 calories per day and OH is still avoiding most carbs because of his blood sugar but has found that chips are ok so we treat ourselves to steak chips and red wine every couple of weeks which seems to bring his reading right down :shock:

I eat porridge about 4 mornings a week and eat a few prunes most days to keep things moving so to speak.

I never get heartburn now which I was plagued with and rarely get any bloating which was also an issue previously.

The best diet that I have ever found :D

We have just had a delicious fish pie made with creme fraiche mixed with parsley, lemon zest and juice and salt & pepper topped with cauliflower mash made with lightly cooked cauliflower mashed with a stick blender with a little butter & cream which makes a great light alternative to mashed potatoes. It was one of the tastiest fish pies that I have ever made :D

I also got the reward of shopping for new clothes today and bought a couple of size 10 tops for the first time in 25 years. I am one happy lady :D

Well done chickencam what an impressive change. Does your glass of wine not irritate your stomach. I am doing the acid watchers diet at present and am gutted to find tea,chocolate and wine are the worst culprits for me and have been off all 3 for past 3 weeks and it's no fun at all. I really miss my cuppa.

Yes Cats Tails it's a nightmare. I have tried camomile ..yuck and some others,the problem being no fruit teas or mint. I have tried turmeric in hot milk and best for me tea without the teabag :lol: I take weak tea anyway so now hot water with milk and if I close my eyes I can almost believe it's tea.

:lol:

I drink so much tea, I sometimes refill my large keep-warm-thingy mug with water and forget to add a teabag. Only to find out when I had half... :roll:

I noticed that Lipton Russian Earl Grey hardly has any caffeine as it leaves almost no brown film in mugs.

What about cinnamon? You could just stick a cinnamon stick in a mug of hot water. Never tried myself, but imagine it must give some taste.

And Rooibos? Is also mostly caffeine free and comes in nice flavours, especially if you get loose tea from a shop. Not a great Rooibos fan myself, but some mixes are "doable".

And fennel tea? Has a stronger flavour than most herbals.

Ps: loooove going to England because of tea. You lot understand a good milky tea! Dutch don't do milk in their tea... apart from me that is... :whistle:

I have been fine with wine, I don't often drink on an empty stomach though. I actually struggle to drink hot tea on an empty stomach, I prefer my first cuppa to be after I have eaten. I have found that I have far less heartburn on this diet and rarely get bloated but despite eating my 10 a day at least I do get a bit bunged up from time to time but not always I think a lot of that depends upon how much water I drink over a period of a few days so I have to be aware of hydration much more.