CharLeila

Rebelling against bird flu precautions!

Hi guys,

My girls are looking particularly miserable being confined to their WIR as I'm sure yours are too. I have my cube attached to an old 6 x 4 shed which is on stilts with a mezzanine floor and what was nice fresh bed flooring on top of vinyl. I'm doing my best to keep them entertained and happy with a ball, CD's hung up, grit, meal worms, whole cauliflower etc.

The last couple of days they have been excited at the thought of being let out on the 6th Jan but when I broke the bad news to them about confinement until 28th Feb, they have all stopped laying.

Now on a serious note, they really have ALL stopped laying out of the blue. They all look healthy; bright eyes, pert, bright combs and nice clean legs and vents. Is this something to do with them being unhappy at being lock up or do I have an egg thief or is it something more sinister? I did think they might be eating them themselves but there is absolutely no trace of egg or shell at all.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated!

Do you have hybrids or pure breeds? How old are they? Pure breeds often stop laying in winter anyway. Hybrids can too, although I don't have any, so no first hand experience here.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much. Two of my chickens started laying on the 24th of december. I didn't have any eggs since October I thinks. And Leentje decided to be broody again today... :wall:

It could be the stress of confinement Charleila, but it's unlikely they would all stop at the same time. We had a similar event years ago when 8 hens went from 6 eggs a day to none overnight. The problem was resolved when we fitted locks to the coop doors and the nest box. The very next day we were back to 6 eggs so the conclusion was one of our neighbours was stealing our eggs while we were at work!

Whilst I doubt your neighbours are at fault it could be an egg stealing predator like a rat or squirrel? Is there any way either of those could get in?

As you say, if it was egg eating from boredom you would find egg shells.

I really doubt anyone is pinching the eggs. Our garden is surrounded by 4 other gardens and we know all the neighbours. Plus, We we're in all day on Sunday and still no eggs. I'm going to buy some and put them in the nesting box in the hopes it might remind them of our mutual agreement! I provide shelter, food, drink, entertainment, cleaning and a pamper service in return for my poached eggs on toast!

I'll let you know if my trickery works.