BridieLou

Prolapsed hen

I think Dolly has a prolapsed vent. The consensus seems to be give her a warm bath, clean it and use some PrepH to see if i can gently pop it back in. Is this the right course of action? It's currently clean (no compacted poop that i can see).

The girls have been on their own since the weekend so it may have happened on Sat or Sun - either way hopefully I've caught ti early enough.

I don't have any hen specific disinfectant I can use on her right now. Is there something in the home I can use instead?

thanks all

I've had a hen with a prolapse. Discovered it just before I should have ran out of the door to go to work, so didn't really have any time for a bath or anything.

Got some latex gloves, removed a poo and prised it back in with my pinky, thinking that bigger stuff than my fingers normally come out, so this shouldn't hurt too much.

It did go in and stayed in for a couple of months. Later she got another prolapse, but that time she looked much worse and called the vet and had her euthanised.

I've had a hen with a prolapse, had to out it back it couple of times a day with prepH, not the nicest of jobs but it worked. Might be an idea to separate her so the others don't peck it, also if she is laying I have heard it is good to keep her in the dark on corn instead of layers pellets to discourage laying. Mine had it in June and is still fine. Good luck, hope she is ok.

Use Manuka honey, gently re-insert the prolapse and keep your finger in place for a while to allow the muscles to move it to the correct position. Then separate her with a diet of wheat and water only. The low protein level in wheat will stop her laying until the prolapse has healed. You may have to repeat the insertion process several times.

PrepH can theoretically worsen the condition.

Thanks everyone for your help - I really appreciate it. I spent an hour reading up on it yesterday and dutifully went back to bring her inside so I could separate her from her pals. By the time I did, the prolapse was no where to be seen? I checked three more times (and each hen in case I had got the wrong one!) throughout the afternoon, but nothing to be seen?!

Is this normal? Could it have been that I caught her just after laying? Would that happen even then?

I feel like I'm going mad! in any case, it's spurred me on to invest in some latex gloves etc should the need arise.

When a hen lays, a small part of the lower oviduct pops out with the egg, but goes back in shortly afterwards; this codul be what happened with your girl. I would keep an eye on her.

Generally speaking; if it is smaller than the last joint of your thumb, then it may well stay in... any bigger and not much hope, I'm afraid.