atsw

New Additions

Hello all,

It's been a while :oops:. I was going to post over in "Hatching & raising chicks", but either no one else is hatching this year, which I find hard to believe, or they've simply given up posting in that section since January, so I'll post here instead.

Anyway, look what appeared on Monday morning 8).

1_zpslffbkulg.jpg

2_zpsufarmw40.jpg

Cheers

Andrew

Thanks Lewis. Four of the six eggs were hatched for friends in the village who are looking to re-stock after a visit by Mr Fox. I added a couple of eggs from my girls and both hatched. So I'll have a CLB/Marans crossed with my Pekin/Orp boy, and a Marans crossed with my Pekin/Orp boy, so goodness knows how they will turn out, but if the chick from the CLB/Marans is a girl then I might get either blue/green/brown eggs later this year!

Andrew

Not content with hatching 5 new chicks a few weeks ago, we now have a couple of new additions for the main flock as well. Introducing Lizzy and Beth, both are a breed called Black Perl (aka Miss Pepper-pot), which is a hybrid hen that should lay around 290 eggs a year at peak production.

These two are almost at Point of Lay, but haven't started to produce eggs just yet.

IMG_2685s_zpsqdhqso4u.jpg

They are currently in their own Eglu, pending formal introductions to the main flock (who live in the WIR in the photo below) and our Rabbit, who also has a Eglu and run of his own.

IMG_2689s_zpsf3bfogua.jpg

Cheers

Andrew

Gorjuss!!!! :mrgreen:

DON'T :roll: I haven't done any hatching for a couple of years, and I feel the urge for chicks!

You probably don't want to see how my little chicks are getting on then :lol:

IMG_2675s_zps2zkc4rko.jpg

Cheers

Andrew

Very cute! I think we'll always add a couple hybrids every few years to keep us in eggs throughout the winter.

We still have our Bluebell from 2010 who pops out the very occasional egg :D

Let me know if you want some Chocolate Frizzle Pekin eggs Clare ;)