soapdragon

Hair Removal - Anyone Tried Threading?

Look away if you are squeamish!

I use an epilator on my legs, have done for years and it's not painful and has def reduced hair re growth. However, as I am getting into my early 50s (ehem!) I find that facial hair is starting to make its presence felt ("Ooops, word censored!"ody else seems to notice it and I'm hardly the bearded lady but it's bothering ME!)

When I take YS to his drumming lessons I pass a salon that offers threading and there are usually several ladies in there being 'worked on'. I found out the hard way that epilating the chin/upper lip area hurts (and this comes from someone who gave birth on 2 paracetamols :lol: )

Has anyone else had facial threading done (REALLY don't want to think about anywhere else, thank you :vom::anxious: ) Does it hurt? Is it effective?

I too have only had eyebrows done. I didn't like the fact that they do above and below the eyebrow. I felt upper eyebrow hairs grow back wonky. For a bit of facial hair on chin I had laser which only works when hair is dark as light hairs do not absorb the light. It needs a few treatments to kill off hair completely. I am not sure if home devices are as strong as salon but once bought you can do your legs,underarms etc,although it does take weeks.

Also eyebrows done - I see a lot of ladies having their moustaches done and under the chin. My hair is blond and downy I am aware of it I hope others arent. Had bikini wax and under arms - never again - had spots and skin reaction. I am a big wuss.

The threading depends on those doing it - I found the Asian and Arab girls are better and quicker. Had it done by an English girl and my eyes were sore for days after. I suspect the foreign girls are more adept.

I used to have my Brows done at John Lewis (highly recommended for professionalism) when I was in the land of the living.

Yes....it did hurt, & my brow area was really red afterwards, so take sunglasses with you.

The results are really worth it though - I can never get such a sharp line as those girls!

I have never done anything more than use tweezers on offensive facial hair. I've found that with daily attention to detail that is sufficient. I've also noticed that annoyingly eyebrow hair which is the one you want to stay is the one that disappears. I would say don't pull them out after say your mid fifties because they don't come back and then you have to do that weird pencil thing. Also HRT is good for eyebrows and hair on your head quality.

I have a couple of x10 mirrors which are my very best friends!!!

Ooh I am so glad to see this thread (ha - see what I did there!) - I have been thinking about threading but not yet dared to take the plunge. My facial hair is fair, but like you Soapdragon, for the last few years I've noticed a displeasing increase in the hair on my chin/upper lip. Irritatingly, at the same time I've lost the ends of my eyebrows! (a symptom of thyroid disease).

My glamorous niece politely asked 'have you tried threading?' in a way which made me think I probably ought to! Generally I'm ok until I visit the bathroom in someone else's house and see myself quite literally in a different light and realise I've been sporting a bit of a 'tache. I've tweezed my own eyebrows for more than 40 years very happily and successfully, but there's just too much of this for tweezers.

I'm mid-50s too, and dark complexioned; I have some darker hairs on my upper lip, which I bleach and tweeze, but I never need to do more than that. Like Jude, I love my magnifying mirror.

There is a 'stall' in a shopping centre near us, where folks sit there with everyone watching to have threading done... no thanks!! I like the shape of my eyebrows and would never consider letting anyone else do it.

I think I will go and talk to someone in the salon next time I am in Cowley - my eyebrows I can manage with tweezers but I would feel 'better' having the upper lip and chin done.

Conversely I am trying to grow my eyebrows (no, don't laugh!) as I think thinner eyebrows don't look so good as I am getting older and I rather fancy Nadyia Hussein brows. I spent the half hour of her last prog fascinated by her eyebrows and couldn't really tell you what she actually cooked tho I think crisps and crab may have been involved!

Might be worth getting them tinted Soapy.. our eyebrows get sp"Ooops, word censored!"r and lighter in colour as we get older, and I don't mean just grey - the actual colour fades. I have a white 'mallen streak' through the lashes on my right eye, so I get them tinted every now and then; the lovely lass suggested doing my eyebrows and offered to do a try-out fer nowt, so I went ahead on the proviso that they didn't look like a dark scouse brow as I hate that look :roll: They looked amazing and totally natural, in fact OH said "you look lovely", but couldn't actually put his finger on what it was.

Hmmm, hadn't thought of that DM. Many moons ago I used to have my eyelashes tinted as they are long but the ends are pale so, with tint, looked as though I had mascara on without the faff (I don't do make up and can't remember when I last put a full face on - certainly well before ES -now nearly 13 - was born! A slick of Burt's Bees tinted lip pencil is about as far as it goes these days :roll: )

That's a good tip DM - I too have a 'Mallen streak', I keep plucking the white hairs out but soon I won't be able to do that without leaving a big gap! :lol: I use eyebrow pencil very lightly to cover it and to fill in the ends a bit - I am not keen on heavily drawn eyebrows. I might think about tinting. If I ever set foot in a beauty salon, that's what has put me off threading - I am not keen on the whole salon thing, I have my hair cut at home and much prefer it.